Shocking attack: Manhunt intensifies as suspect evades capture after scalding baby with coffee

Content warning: This article contains distressing details of a violent attack involving severe burns to a young child. Reader discretion is advised.

In a disturbing turn of events, a recent incident has sent shockwaves through Australia, involving a troubling act of violence against a young child.

As investigations unfold, authorities are grappling with a series of misleading clues that the alleged perpetrator may have intentionally left behind.

This unsettling case has raised serious concerns about public safety and the challenges law enforcement faces in uncovering the truth behind such alarming events.

The tranquillity of a family picnic was shattered in Brisbane's Hanlon Park when an unthinkable act of violence occurred.

A nine-month-old baby named Luka suffered severe burns after a man allegedly doused him with scalding hot coffee.

A seasoned investigator has suggested that the suspect, who is a foreign national, might have intentionally planted ‘fake clues’ to avoid being caught before escaping the country.

image (123).png
A foreign national is suspected of dousing a baby with hot coffee in an unprovoked Brisbane attack, with fears he may have left false clues to avoid capture. Credit: Queensland Police

The victim sustained severe burns to his face and body after the accused—while the infant and his mother were picnicking on the morning of August 27—approached them and poured a Thermos of coffee over the baby before fleeing.

He escaped the scene, prompting a large-scale manhunt, but there are now questions about why it took so long for investigators to identify him.

His family confirmed on Wednesday, September 11, that Luka has since been discharged from the hospital.

Queensland Police disclosed on Monday, September 9, that the 33-year-old departed Australia on an international flight on August 31, using his passport, just 12 hours before investigators confirmed his identity.

Detective Inspector Paul Dalton informed reporters that police lost crucial time due to receiving incorrect information about the suspect’s identity, implying that the individual may have used ‘counter-surveillance’ techniques to evade capture.

Charlie Bezzina, a former homicide detective with Victoria Police who has led several high-profile manhunts, theorised that the suspect might have used simple methods to mislead authorities, such as abandoning his mobile phone and using cash.

He suggested that the suspect might have also provided false tips to the police.

‘Counter-surveillance can be as simple as “I’ll call in a bodgy name to police, I’ll leave my phone somewhere because I know they can trace me on my phone, and I’ll just get another prepaid one somewhere else,”’ Mr Bezzina explained.

‘You know, “I’ll book into a motel with a bodgy name, I’ll avoid using credit cards,” it’s all that. It doesn’t need to be terribly sophisticated.’

In addition, according to Mr Bezzina, the ‘real concern is that he was thinking to employ these counter-surveillance tactics while he is on the run and what it says about his state of mind’.

‘There will be a genuine fear he is one of those people who gets off on playing a cat-and-mouse game with detectives and that thinks he’s smart and wants to be chased by police,’ he continued.

‘I mean, why would anyone want to spill boiling water on a baby? And then they’re looking to employ tactics to escape? You really need to look at the type of person we’re dealing with here—and it’s not good.’

Police have not disclosed the suspect's name or flight destination, which Mr Bezzina speculated could be a tactic to make him feel overconfident.

The former detective expressed belief that ultimately, the suspect's efforts to escape justice will fail.

‘There is sometimes a concern that in some third-world countries, they don’t particularly have a “care factor” about crimes committed outside their borders,’ he remarked.

‘But in this case, given the enormity of the hideous act that this man has allegedly perpetrated on a young baby, that will pull at the heartstrings of any government—and any police agency—in the world. And no one will want the bad publicity that would come with them having this suspect, who has allegedly committed this heinous crime, in their country and that they’re not co-operating.’

Queensland Police also disclosed that following the attack, the suspect made several strategic moves, including travelling on foot and by train across multiple suburbs.

After the incident, he went to Tarragindi in Southern Brisbane, where he changed his clothes outside a church.

He then used a rideshare service to reach central Brisbane before heading to Caxton Street in Petrie Terrace, in the city’s inner west.

Although the trail went cold initially, detectives now suspect he travelled by car to Sydney, arriving on August 28.

‘It soon became apparent to us that this person was aware of police methodologies, was certainly conducting counter-surveillance activities, which made the investigation quite complex,’ Detective Inspector Dalton pointed out.

Detective Inspector Dalton also noted that the alleged attacker had frequently travelled in and out of Australia since 2019 and had worked as an ‘itinerant worker’.

The suspect held both working and holiday visas and resided at various locations across eastern Australia but not in Queensland.

Detective Inspector Dalton described the investigation as one of the most ‘complex and frustrating’ of his career, noting that the 30 officers involved were ‘devastated’ that the suspect managed to leave the country just hours before his identity was confirmed.

‘They are devastated that they missed this person by 12 hours,’ he said. ‘I think only the family would be more upset about that.

Police are aware of the man's destination and have issued an arrest warrant, which has set off a complex legal process to extradite him back to Australia for trial.

This development followed criticism from another former investigator who noted that the police initially did not specify the man’s race.

David Craig, a former AFP detective superintendent, suggested that the police might have been overly cautious about appearing racist when they first described the suspect.

‘His description was reported as “a person [with] tan skin”—that doesn’t narrow it down very much,’ he pointed out.

The vague description given by Queensland Police, which was widely reported, did not specify that the man was of Asian descent, and it was only a day later that CCTV footage of the suspect was made public.

During the attack, the man was dressed in a black hat, glasses, a shirt, and shorts.

‘When a baby has been injured, attempted murder if you like, then we need to call out exactly who we’re looking for,’ Mr Craig asserted.

‘He should’ve been called out as a man of Asian appearance, just as we do people of caucasian appearance. It didn’t happen quickly enough in this case. This is not racial vilification terms. These are identifying terms.’

He also noted that public tips were crucial in this case, and the police's reluctance to provide specific details might have cost them important information.

This is particularly significant considering the suspicion that the man might have had ‘some kind of counter-surveillance experience’.

‘He knew what he was doing,’ Mr Craig explained. ‘He was obviously avoiding electronic trails, so he couldn’t be followed so easily.’

KIIS FM radio host Kyle Sandilands also criticised the vague and ‘woke’ description of the suspect initially given by authorities.

‘How is there a manhunt on for this Chinese guy in Brisbane who threw the hot water over a baby and nearly burnt the baby to death?’ he questioned.

‘No one said that you’re looking for an Asian man, they just said, “The man fled the scene.” If there’s a manhunt on, give us the description. You’ve gotta be aware—if there’s a manhunt on, we can’t be that s***** as a society that we’re not saying whether they’re white, black, tall, skinny, fat. That’s just ridiculous.’

The heartbroken parents of baby Luka, who has already had multiple surgeries, expressed their devastation upon learning that the alleged attacker had fled.

‘It sounds like they were very, very close in catching him,’ his mum said.

‘This obviously means that we’re going to have to wait who knows how long to get justice for our son.’

The mum reported that since the incident, she has been ‘living in fear’ and experiencing significant anxiety and stress, with police describing the situation as an ‘ambush’.

‘I had no idea where this person was, I didn’t want to leave this hospital because it became our safe space,’ she shared.

‘Returning home, I had panic attacks, and still continue to do so. I do feel relief that he’s not in this country, in some sense, but I will always have fear and anxiety being out in public with my son. It’s affected my mental health for the rest of my life.’

In a social media post, the first-time mum expressed her search for answers, writing, ‘Constant questions eating away at me, Why? Why him? Why not me? Why an innocent, defenceless baby.’

However, Luka’s mum said she was ‘blown away’ by the support her family received through a GoFundMe campaign created to cover her child's medical costs.

‘This GoFundMe will be able to support Luka with all of his ongoing care needs, which is truly a weight lifted off our shoulders,’ she said.

‘Given the nature of the event, this will be an extremely long journey ahead for us all.’

According to his mum, the nine-month-old is ‘incredibly resilient’ and was back to ‘causing chaos’ shortly after his third surgery.

‘He is such a strong little boy, and we are so, so proud of him,’ she shared. ‘This horrific event should have never happened.’
Key Takeaways
  • A foreign national is suspected of throwing hot coffee over a baby in an unprovoked attack in Brisbane, leading to fears that the suspect left a trail of ‘fake clues’ to evade capture.
  • The nine-month-old victim, Luka, suffered severe burns but has left the hospital, while a massive manhunt began for the alleged attacker.
  • The suspect reportedly conducted counter-surveillance activities and used calculated movements to escape detection, leaving Australia just hours before authorities confirmed his identity.
  • Queensland Police, with a warrant for the suspect's arrest, are now engaged in a complex legal process to extradite the alleged attacker back to Australia to face justice.
We encourage our readers to discuss safety strategies with their families and to support one another in fostering safe communities. Do you have any tips or experiences related to ensuring family safety or dealing with the aftermath of a public attack? Please share them in the comments below. Your insights could make all the difference in preventing such incidents and aiding in the healing process for those affected.

Sponsored