Shepherds Pie at $2.20 a serve

I love Shepard's Pie and honestly call it a shepherd's Pie which ever one I make but just to be clear a Shepherd's Pie is made with lamb mince and a Cottage Pie is made with beef mince
I mostly make a Cottage Pie but made this one last night and was delicious

I paid around $10 for the 4 serves. I already had ingrediants eg soya sauce, oil ect

Halve the amount for 2 serves.
  • Easy
  • 0:15 Prep
  • 1:45 Cook
  • 4 Servings
shepherds-pie-952748-1.jpg
Recipe by Australia's Best

Ingredients​

• 1 tsp olive oil
  • 500g lamb mince
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas
  • 1/2 onion diced
  • 1 tbs plain flour
  • 1 tbs soy sauce
  • 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 2 beef stock cubes
  • 1 pinch salt and pepper
  • mashed potatoes I used 3 large ones
  • 2 cups water

Method​

1. Heat oil in a frypan. Add onion.
  2. When onion is softened, add lamb mince, and cook until brown. Drain excess fat.
  3. Mix flour, stock cubes, salt and pepper, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste to make a gravy.
  4. When meat is cooked, add gravy mix and simmer for approximately 45 minutes.
  5. Place meat mixture in baking dish and cover with mashed potatoes.
  6. Top with grated cheese and sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 180°C or 160°C fan-forced for 45 minutes.
Note

You can add vegetables eg diced carrots and peas to the mince . I add these at step 2 if adding vegetables

Last edited:
Sponsored
Like Cottage Pie , never made Shepherds Pie , hope you did not forget to add the peas to the dish . I usually add more vegetables like carrots , capsicum , corn and pumpkin . Another nice winter dish , thank you for sharing .

Like Cottage Pie , never made Shepherds Pie , hope you did not forget to add the peas to the dish . I usually add more vegetables like carrots , capsicum , corn and pumpkin . Another nice winter dish , thank you for sharing .
Depends who is at home for dinner, some of my kids don't like alot of vegetables in it and one daughter is allergic to peas