Shakshuka: Easy, Healthy & Delicious

Over the past few years, you might have noticed this exotic-looking dish appearing on your local cafe's menu. A popular breakfast option in the Middle East & North Africa, Shakshuka (literally meaning 'all mixed up') is believed to have originated in the 16th century in the Ottoman Empire (modern-day Turkey). In our opinion, any dish that has nearly half a millennium of staying power is worth a look! It's also surprisingly easy to make.
shutterstock_716526877.jpg
Credits: Shutterstock

The following recipe will feed two very hungry people, so if you're just making this for yourself, we recommend you cut the ingredients in half.

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground chili flakes
1 can (450 grams) diced tomatoes, with their juice
1 can (450 grams) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
6 eggs
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Half a red onion (To serve)
8 cherry tomatoes (To serve)
Half a capsicum (To serve)
Bread of choice (To serve)

Instructions:

1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.

2. Add the cumin, paprika, chili flakes, and tomatoes with their juice. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.

3. Add the chickpeas and cook for 5 minutes more.

4. Make six wells in the tomato mixture and crack an egg into each one. Cover the pan and cook until the eggs are firm, about 10 minutes.

5. While the eggs are cooking, chop up your red onion, cherry tomatoes and capsicum to servce.

6. Sprinkle with parsley, onion, tomatoes, and capsicums and serve with bread.

If you give this one a go, please let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Shakshuka is one of my favourite dishes, so will try to persuade my chef to set his regular recipe aside and try this one.

Reactions: Ricci
Yay! At last, a recipe where I already have all the ingredients! Think this might just be my dinner tonight! Sounds yummy!:)

Reactions: KatKop
Yay! At last, a recipe where I already have all the ingredients! Think this might just be my dinner tonight! Sounds yummy!:)
You'll never look back! We usually don't add the chickpeas - I doubt this will change the flavour.

Reactions: Ricci