Services Australia warns recipients to be vigilant over ‘bonus’ Centrelink payments

As the cost of living continues to rise, many Australians are looking for financial relief, and scammers are exploiting this vulnerability with false promises of 'bonus' payments from Centrelink.

It's a cruel trick that could lead to the loss of personal information and financial security.

Services Australia, the government body responsible for social security payments, has issued a stern warning to Centrelink recipients: be vigilant and don't be misled by unofficial websites and social media accounts claiming to offer a ‘one-off payment’, ‘cash relief payment’, or ‘bonus payment’.

The truth is, there is no such bonus payment being offered by Centrelink.

shutterstock_1664319367.jpg
Services Australia issued a stern warning to Centrelink recipients over fake ‘bonus’ payments. Credit: Shutterstock

‘They’re targeting our customers by falsely saying there’s an extra payment coming to help ease the cost-of-living pressures. There is no bonus payment,’ Services Australia said.

‘If you visit one of these websites or click on their links on social media, you’re at risk of being scammed. Don’t trust unofficial websites or social media accounts for advice about Centrelink payments.’

It's important to remember that official communication from Services Australia will only come from verified sources.

The safest way to check for legitimate information about Centrelink payments and services is by visiting the official Services Australia website, which ends in .gov.au.

If you're ever in doubt, you can also call Services Australia directly to verify any information you've received.

In the past, similar scams have targeted older Australians with false claims of extra payments for those on the age pension.

These scams have offered varying amounts of money, including $750 and $1,800, to entice individuals into their traps.

But the deception doesn't stop there. Other scams involve fraudsters impersonating Services Australia officials and calling people to claim they owe an urgent debt.

These scammers use fear tactics, threatening arrest if the supposed debt isn't paid immediately via bank transfer, gift cards, or cryptocurrency.

Services Australia's advice is clear: if you receive such a call, hang up immediately.

Tip
If you suspect a scam or believe you may be the victim of fraud, report it to Scamwatch here.

According to Scamwatch data, Australians have lost over $134 million to scams this year alone, with investment scams leading the way, followed by romance and phishing scams.

The sophistication of these scams has increased, with reports of scammers accessing Australians' Centrelink, Australian Taxation Office, and Medicare accounts by creating fake myGov accounts through a process known as ‘unauthorised linking’.

This involves linking a legitimate myGov account with a fake one set up by the scammer, often without the victim's knowledge.
Key Takeaways
  • Services Australia warned of scams offering fake 'bonus' cash payments purportedly to assist with cost-of-living pressures.
  • Scammers are attempting to lure individuals with claims of additional Centrelink payments that do not exist, aiming to steal personal information.
  • Recipients are urged only to trust the official Services Australia website or call to verify information rather than relying on unofficial websites or social media.
  • Australians have been advised to be cautious of scams impersonating Centrelink, myGov, and Medicare, with scammers using tactics like threatening immediate arrest over fake debts to coerce payments.
Have you or someone you know been targeted by a Centrelink-related scam? Share your story in the comments below to help others stay vigilant.

Sponsored
I tried to sign into Mygov one night and was advised I had been locked out and to contact Services Australia. I did so and what had happened was their cyber security team identified that an unknown person had tried to access my account and change my banking details held by Centrelink, so my payments would go to the scammer instead of me. The cyber guy I spoke to said all was okay and I would be getting paid as normal but, and here it is, I had to go into Centrelink and prove my identity. This process took several weeks and until that was resolved I couldn't access Centrelink via Mygov. This was chance I found out about it, just wanting to check something one night alerted me to this, who knows what could have happened if I hadn't tried to access my account. Since the Optus breach and the Medibank breach of which I was caught up in both all sorts of weird stuff has happened. Be vigilant people be aware and if it feels funky don't go near it and report it.

I tried to sign into Mygov one night and was advised I had been locked out and to contact Services Australia. I did so and what had happened was their cyber security team identified that an unknown person had tried to access my account and change my banking details held by Centrelink, so my payments would go to the scammer instead of me. The cyber guy I spoke to said all was okay and I would be getting paid as normal but, and here it is, I had to go into Centrelink and prove my identity. This process took several weeks and until that was resolved I couldn't access Centrelink via Mygov. This was chance I found out about it, just wanting to check something one night alerted me to this, who knows what could have happened if I hadn't tried to access my account. Since the Optus breach and the Medibank breach of which I was caught up in both all sorts of weird stuff has happened. Be vigilant people be aware and if it feels funky don't go near it and report it.
Simple.
You should change you password on a regular basis.
You should have done it immediately once informed of the Optus and Medibank scams.

Beware for sure...!
Did you know, if you are fighting a case for compensation from an accident etc. and WIN... not only are you unable to get any assistance for ANYTHING, from Centrelink for the next TWO YEARS, but... ALL PAYMENTS of assistance during your trial, eg, unemployment, disability, medicare and even PRIVATE Health Insurance, will be DEDUCTED from your compensation and returned to every one of these providers?????

About 6 or 7 months ago, I logged on to myGov and jumped in to my ATO account. I saw I was about to get a $22,000 tax refund. I thought it a bit strange, since I had not worked for the FY. Since the payment had not been paid yet, I immediately contacted the ATO. They were very nice and stopped the payment.
Within only minutes, my email account was bombarded with hundreds of emails, all different languages, which I now had to unsubscribe from individually. I was told my account had been hacked.
This occurred only days after changing passwords on many sites. I adhered to all the professional advice, changed all my passwords regularly, and still got hacked.
We can't win.

Last edited:
Beware for sure...!
Did you know, if you are fighting a case for compensation from an accident etc. and WIN... not only are you unable to get any assistance for ANYTHING, from Centrelink for the next TWO YEARS, but... ALL PAYMENTS of assistance during your trial, eg, unemployment, disability, medicare and even PRIVATE Health Insurance, will be DEDUCTED from your compensation and returned to every one of these providers?????
Yes this has been the case from at least 1983 that I know of personally - as for medicare and private health insurance these are suspect.

That also happened to me. I had to go into Centrelink for an interview and go through the whole process again, i.e. new password, etc. After that I learned never to click on a message on the phone purporting to be from Centrelink. They told me they NEVER send messages to a phone, but they will send you an email.