Services Australia warns Aussies of $890 Centrelink 'bonus payment’ scam

In an age where the internet has become a cornerstone of our daily lives, it's no surprise that it's also become a playground for scammers looking to take advantage of unsuspecting individuals.

Everyone, particularly those who rely on government services like Centrelink, needs to be extra vigilant as a new scam has surfaced, promising an $890 'bonus payment' that doesn't exist.

The scam, which has been making rounds on the internet, is particularly insidious because it preys on those who may be struggling with the cost of living and are searching for some financial relief.

These fraudulent websites and social media posts are advertising what they call a 'one-off payment’, 'Centrelink cash relief payment', or 'bonus payment' to help with various expenses or to assist concession card holders.

shutterstock_571714717.jpg
Services Australia warned Aussies of the $890 ‘bonus payment’ scam. Credit: Shutterstock

The scammers are crafty, offering varying amounts of money, including $750 and $1,800, to entice a wide range of victims.

They've even created fake eligibility check tools, which ask for personal information under the guise of determining if you qualify for the supposed payment.

This is a classic phishing tactic designed to steal your MyGov credentials, lock you out of your account, and potentially make fraudulent claims in your name.

Services Australia has confirmed that these claims are false and has issued a warning to all Australians to be cautious.

The only legitimate sources for changes to Centrelink payments are the official government websites and social media channels.

Remember, if a website URL doesn’t end in '.gov.au’, it's not an official government site and should be treated with suspicion.

To help protect your personal information, Services Australia recommends setting up a verbal password for your account. This adds an extra layer of security and can prevent unauthorised access.

It's alarming that Australians have lost over $134 million to scams this year alone.

Phishing scams are the third most financially damaging scams after investment and romance scams.

A recent investigation into the security of Australian MyGov accounts revealed that hackers have been exploiting Medicare and Centrelink accounts by linking them to bogus myGov accounts and making false tax or support payment claims.

Tip
You may also report the scam to Scamwatch here.

You can also head over to our Scam Watch forum to stay updated with the latest tricks scammers use to deceive people out of their money and sensitive details.

This comes after Services Australia issued a warning about a fake $1,800 Centrelink payment bonus for Age Pension recipients.

The scam involves misleading information shared on unofficial websites, enticing members to click on a link.
Key Takeaways
  • Australians have been warned about a scam claiming they could receive an $890 Centrelink 'bonus payment'.
  • Websites and social media posts promoting this false 'bonus payment' have been emerging faster than they can be shut down.
  • Services Australia has confirmed the claims to be false and an attempt to steal MyGov credentials.
  • People are advised that legitimate government websites end in '.gov.au' and to be cautious of sharing personal information online.
Have you or someone you know encountered this scam or a similar one? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
This hass been going on for months and shows different amounts.

If centrelink recipients were getting any bonuses it would be all over the news and media.

If centrelink give any bonuses then it's always automatically paid you won't need to apply for it like all these scams say

Easy fix never reply or apply for any of these scams. We should know by now they are just that ..a scam

If Centrelink contacts you it's always by a letter or a message on your phone letting you know there is a letter in my gov. And there are NEVER any links to click on

Another thing to look out for with scam messages and emails is the new trend in scam addresses. As stated above, all Australian Government websites and emails end in .gov.au, but I have received 2 in the past fortnight from 'australiagov.au' and 'servicesgov.au' So if your eyesight isn't 100% and you don't notice the missing full-stop before the 'gov' part, you can still be caught. I'm guessing 'centrelinkgov.au' is also out there to watch out for. So beware folks!

Another thing to look out for with scam messages and emails is the new trend in scam addresses. As stated above, all Australian Government websites and emails end in .gov.au, but I have received 2 in the past fortnight from 'australiagov.au' and 'servicesgov.au' So if your eyesight isn't 100% and you don't notice the missing full-stop before the 'gov' part, you can still be caught. I'm guessing 'centrelinkgov.au' is also out there to watch out for. So beware folks!
I received one with "centerlink" spelling which was a give away

If centrelink recipients were getting any bonuses it would be all over the news and media.

If centrelink give any bonuses then it's always automatically paid you won't need to apply for it like all these scams say

Easy fix never reply or apply for any of these scams. We should know by now they are just that ..a scam

If Centrelink contacts you it's always by a letter or a message on your phone letting you know there is a letter in my gov. And there are NEVER any links to click on
True, in general terms, however natural disasters are a 'scammers paradise' where you DO have to apply for assistance that is often managed and paid via Centrelink.

After the Lismore region 2022 flood, there were at least 3 other people who used my home address as 'proof of flooding' to apply for grants. They even kept a close watch on my letterbox to get the 'confirmation' documents for 'proof of residency'. Fortunately, what they DIDN'T know was that I moved back into my place as soon as I finished the initial cleanout and pressure cleaning, so saw them waiting for the postman each day and took lots of photos, lol. So, they got caught and Services NSW thanked me for reporting them and providing evidence. They estimated that as much as 15% of the total grant monies paid went to scammers.

Reactions: BeautifulMousey
I recently recieved an email from My Gov stating that they owed me money, there was no link to click it just instructed me to log on to my My Gov account, sure enough there was a message waiting for me explaining what needed to be done, so this one was legit

I have seen these Centrelink items that say to find out if your eligible to apply through these links. I could use the money but I think applying for these amounts of money is scams. I won't apply and I figure Centrelink knows what you get and whether you have money or not so why would they want you to apply for extra money. No thanks

I have seen these Centrelink items that say to find out if your eligible to apply through these links. I could use the money but I think applying for these amounts of money is scams. I won't apply and I figure Centrelink knows what you get and whether you have money or not so why would they want you to apply for extra money. No thanks
Definitely do not apply or click on any link .