Services Australia in hot water as call centres are slashed - what does this mean for you?

Services Australia is making waves with its latest move to cut its outsourced workload by 30%.

This comes as unions warn of longer wait times for customers trying to access Centrelink services.

The agency informed its outsourced “service delivery partners” that it was cutting the “workload” last Friday, with the decision taking effect as soon as 1 July, the Guardian Australia reported.

The agency has come under fire for its decision, with many insiders and the union warning that it could mean even longer wait times for customers.

Public sector unions also blamed the previous government’s budget for the agency’s inadequacies, pointing out that Services Australia’s capacity could “fall off a cliff after 1 July”.

However, Services Australia has defended the move, saying that it is simply a result of reduced demand for services.

Regardless of the reason, this move is sure to cause some major disruptions for customers trying to access Centrelink services.

Vs7BGcJ6U-vFS4fmWry78_wY1Bq5IrWm1OqiF9WHyyduXxJyMcktcZtki3Hwiv6SR8wZ_dyq4WeOTMZZsBoLUdq-pKASAlsD696C4oDXsGKbsL3Ztm-Ku2KpbMRWS18UB3LxR5R8u-AdJk0X

Services Australia has slashed contracts with its call centre service delivery partners. Credit: Julian Smith/AAP.

Services Australia's service delivery partners Datacom, Probe, Concentrix, and Serco disclosed that they had contracts worth hundreds of millions of dollars with the government to provide call centre services for Centrelink.

However, Serco and Datacom confirmed that they had been informed by the agency that it will reduce their workload requirements. It is understood that the decision also applies to the two other aforementioned firms.

A Datacom spokesperson said: “We respect their need to adjust our workload according to shifting demands, priorities and economic changes and we look forward to continuing our work with the Services Australia team."

The spokesperson also claimed that the firm is currently assessing what the new protocol would mean for its governmental transactions and its staff.

A Serco spokesperson commented on the matter, confirming that the agency would "no longer need the current level of service from call centre service delivery partners” starting July 1st.

The spokesperson quipped: “Serco’s primary focus now is to ensure all employees affected by this decision are cared for and redeployed within Serco or suitable alternatives are found.”

“Currently, Serco has hundreds of jobs available, and a streamlined process has been developed to support a smooth transition.”

Meanwhile, Concentrix general manager for Australia and New Zealand Peter Monk refused to give comments on “specific client programs”. However, he said that the business was equipped for “fluctuating and seasonal demands.”

Probe declined any requests for comments.

-fgdQARhXhhQVtwHpkJIrwS4jz96HiWwzXw8Glj1q8gSyPND7604A0PqqIm1fqa37yqmp4DcMigYluryHpqiVqfo24Vl_Q2kcSQ9Nfx9-FZmrlNdkB2Bd0YMCQ60F4KfR9iZCy8JO4k-0i07

Services Australia’s decision is sure to cause some major disruptions for customers trying to access Centrelink services. Credit: AFP/Getty Images.

The Labor party has been highly critical of the outsourcing of Services Australia jobs, arguing that it significantly increases spending on those firms.

The Coalition, on the other hand, has defended the move, saying that it improves Centrelink’s call waiting times, busy signals and other indicators.

Bill Shorten, the new minister for government services, raised these questions to the agency.

Services Australia’s spokesperson Hank Jongen addressed the issues, saying that the agency's budget has been “reduced in line with the March budget allocation to reflect this change in expected demand”.

“With Covid-19 measures now winding down and less activity supporting job seekers, we no longer require the current level of service delivery partner support," he quipped.

“As part of new financial year adjustments, we will be bringing staff back in-house instead of using labour hire, to fill a range of casual service delivery roles across the agency.”

“We will continue to adjust our service contracts and staffing levels, based on changing priorities, demands and the economic climate into the future.”

Community and Public Sector Union (CPSU) national president Alistair Waters claimed that the decision was prompted by the reductions to the agency's funding in the Coalition's March budget.

He said: “This has meant that Services Australia is now scrambling to balance service delivery needs with a depleting budget.”

“CPSU members have grave concerns that service standards and Services Australia’s capacity to serve the Australian public will fall off a cliff after 1 July because of Scott Morrison’s final budget. It is absolutely critical that the essential services that all Australians rely on are properly funded.”

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think this decision will greatly affect pensioners and other Centrelink recipients?

Sponsored
Services Australia in hot water as call centres are slashed - what does this mean for you?

Services Australia is making waves with its latest move to cut its outsourced workload by 30%.

This comes as unions warn of longer wait times for customers trying to access Centrelink services.

The agency informed its outsourced “service delivery partners” that it was cutting the “workload” last Friday, with the decision taking effect as soon as 1 July, the Guardian Australia reported.

The agency has come under fire for its decision, with many insiders and the union warning that it could mean even longer wait times for customers.

Public sector unions also blamed the previous government’s budget for the agency’s inadequacies, pointing out that Services Australia’s capacity could “fall off a cliff after 1 July”.

However, Services Australia has defended the move, saying that it is simply a result of reduced demand for services.

Regardless of the reason, this move is sure to cause some major disruptions for customers trying to access Centrelink services.

Vs7BGcJ6U-vFS4fmWry78_wY1Bq5IrWm1OqiF9WHyyduXxJyMcktcZtki3Hwiv6SR8wZ_dyq4WeOTMZZsBoLUdq-pKASAlsD696C4oDXsGKbsL3Ztm-Ku2KpbMRWS18UB3LxR5R8u-AdJk0X

Services Australia has slashed contracts with its call centre service delivery partners. Credit: Julian Smith/AAP.

Services Australia's service delivery partners Datacom, Probe, Concentrix, and Serco disclosed that they had contracts worth hundreds of millions of dollars with the government to provide call centre services for Centrelink.

However, Serco and Datacom confirmed that they had been informed by the agency that it will reduce their workload requirements. It is understood that the decision also applies to the two other aforementioned firms.

A Datacom spokesperson said: “We respect their need to adjust our workload according to shifting demands, priorities and economic changes and we look forward to continuing our work with the Services Australia team."

The spokesperson also claimed that the firm is currently assessing what the new protocol would mean for its governmental transactions and its staff.

A Serco spokesperson commented on the matter, confirming that the agency would "no longer need the current level of service from call centre service delivery partners” starting July 1st.

The spokesperson quipped: “Serco’s primary focus now is to ensure all employees affected by this decision are cared for and redeployed within Serco or suitable alternatives are found.”

“Currently, Serco has hundreds of jobs available, and a streamlined process has been developed to support a smooth transition.”

Meanwhile, Concentrix general manager for Australia and New Zealand Peter Monk refused to give comments on “specific client programs”. However, he said that the business was equipped for “fluctuating and seasonal demands.”

-fgdQARhXhhQVtwHpkJIrwS4jz96HiWwzXw8Glj1q8gSyPND7604A0PqqIm1fqa37yqmp4DcMigYluryHpqiVqfo24Vl_Q2kcSQ9Nfx9-FZmrlNdkB2Bd0YMCQ60F4KfR9iZCy8JO4k-0i07

Services Australia’s decision is sure to cause some major disruptions for customers trying to access Centrelink services. Credit: AFP/Getty Images.

The Labor party has been highly critical of the outsourcing of Services Australia jobs, arguing that it significantly increases spending on those firms.

The Coalition, on the other hand, has defended the move, saying that it improves Centrelink’s call waiting times, busy signals and other indicators.

Bill Shorten, the new minister for government services, raised these questions to the agency.

Services Australia’s spokesperson Hank Jongen addressed the issues, saying that the agency's budget has been “reduced in line with the March budget allocation to reflect this change in expected demand”.

“With Covid-19 measures now winding down and less activity supporting job seekers, we no longer require the current level of service delivery partner support," he quipped.

“As part of new financial year adjustments, we will be bringing staff back in-house instead of using labour hire, to fill a range of casual service delivery roles across the agency.”

“We will continue to adjust our service contracts and staffing levels, based on changing priorities, demands and the economic climate into the future.”

Community and Public Sector Union (CPSU) national president Alistair Waters claimed that the decision was prompted by the reductions to the agency's funding in the Coalition's March budget.

He said: “This has meant that Services Australia is now scrambling to balance service delivery needs with a depleting budget.”

“CPSU members have grave concerns that service standards and Services Australia’s capacity to serve the Australian public will fall off a cliff after 1 July because of Scott Morrison’s final budget. It is absolutely critical that the essential services that all Australians rely on are properly funded.”

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think this decision will greatly affect pensioners and other Centrelink recipients?
It is quicker for me to go 5 km into town, find a park, stand in a queue to make an appointment - then repeat the same procedure to attend a personal officer (who are always so helpful and friendly) - a total of 20 km into the cbd (AND find a car park within a km) - than sit with a hold on my phone (which I always have to plug in to avoid the battery being flat when the call is finally answered). My experience is that they make an appointment for me as the need is too difficult to do over the phone, anyway!)
What is wrong with the system that my internet provider (and several other businesses I deal with) use, of being able to place my call in a queue and calling me back when it is my turn?

Reactions: Dee G and Ricci
After numerous phone calls and so much time wasted on the phone we put in a application march21 for aged pension and we are still waiting we are now both 70 ,I hate to think how someone who is desperate for money would manage we are using our savings

The word 'services' obviously has a revised definition as, to me, cutting 'services' to clients cannot at all IMPROVE them. It is already difficult to readily access a human response via 'ServicesAustralia'. This will ensure further hassle and angst to those who may already be experiencing trying circumstances.
Bah Humbug to all bureaucrats and politicians who are approving of this and other changes which further disenfranchise vulnerable people.

Reactions: Dee G and Ricci
There is so much wasted time and effort trying to achieve an outcome. Case in point: I wanted some help from My Aged Care. I rang them, told them what I wanted and was told someone would contact me. Two weeks later someone from some firm said they had received my file and could I talk to them. I repeated what I wanted and they said I would have to have an in home assessment. I would hear from the assessment team. Two weeks later a guy from yet another company phoned to make an appointment for the following week. He came, he concurred that I had a need and he would put in a recommendation. Three weeks after that he rang me back to tell me I had been unsuccessful and gave the reasons. Two months after that the second company rang me to say that my file was still open and enquired as to the outcome so that they could close the file. That's three different entities that had an input to my request, each presumably getting a payment from the Government for dealing with me, Why? Never mind the fact that I was knocked back, it would have been the same if my request was granted, in fact I would have had to have further visits. The system is so flawed that the people (us) who are supposed to benefit from these facilities are missing out because all these firms need paying.:mad::(

• Wow
Reactions: Dee G

Call centre ? Tried ringing numerous times never got through & now there cutting back ?

• Sad
Reactions: Happymad and Ricci