Senior group pushes for pension rule change allowing pensioners to continue working while receiving full entitlements — here are all the details

A seniors group has called for the revision of pension rules, changing the directive to allow older Australians to keep their pension entitlements while still remaining employed.

National Seniors Australia said that the current rules penalise seniors who work beyond the prescribed amount of working time by subjecting their salary to heavy penalties, alongside income tax.

The organisation also quipped that pensioners could potentially fill up the record number of job vacancies in the country.

National Seniors Australia chief advocate Ian Henschke said that the change that the group is campaigning for has already been trialled in other countries, suggesting that pensioners should be able to stay fully employed without facing penalties.

He said: "They have trialled it in New Zealand and it works."

"They have 43 per cent of their 65 to 75 workers there, and in Australia, we have three per cent of our pensioners still working."

Jd2DJWwv_afCl75taWAqWJ7FGcXA9OhXn9OL8NyJYgd7GgVvLEeuqu60u202J7p-5iX_XYj5kFOCBCP-MnpX3hdvZaiDtbcTFUb3m08G9i5eIsbP5daRKiQCSvB_n-QsJ6OzYVk

Currently, pensioners who work beyond their prescribed working time face heavy penalties, alongside income tax. Credit: AAP.

Mr Henschke also commented on the government's budget "black hole" — which was caused by the COVID-19 pandemic — saying that the employment of seniors could help alleviate this financial crisis.

"When (seniors) work they pay income tax, super contributions tax, etc," he said.

"Now we have all of the problems with labour shortages, and the solution from the government is to bring in hundreds of thousands of people from overseas who can't come here in many cases because their countries won't let them go."

"What we have to do is recognise this is a sensible policy that will fix the budget, that will help Australia get out of its labour shortage at the moment."

gZm65jyHJXfA7Qw9NsYJD1IbSoLSIlGZ4q_L8Su8o_FB9VsIw7uDYmv_A_mAOPEijBBzy-dGIVJbitZMiHbA4bXSjeQ-eshqdnIyNBWYGIarAOdFQoitg0DqMPmP54jFBBM2wFo

The new scheme could allow seniors to fill up the record number of job vacancies in Australia. Credit: Nine.

The group also said that since the elections are nearing, the major party that will adopt this policy could potentially gain an electoral advantage over the other parties.

Mr Henschke said: "There are one in two voters now over 50, so pick this one up and run with it."

What are your thoughts on this? Should pensioners be allowed to continue working while receiving full pension entitlements? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I am a 70 yr old pensioner and still working casual hours (8 to 10 hrs average). I would love to receive a full pension as well as my extra wages....what a Godsend that would be.
We have just been given an extra $20 (singles) - Big Deal! That doesn't cover very much of the rising cost of living since Covid hit.
I say bring it on!
Mazda52

Started working at 15 years old,worked for 50 years and paid all my taxes... went on the Pension at 65,since then have worked on a casual basis and paying tax on my earnings (I am now 76 years old)...... what irks me is that when I work over a certain amount of hours my Pension is reduced,in other words I am penalised by our Government for trying to get ahead... where is the incentive for anyone for that matter to work longer and harder so they can have a better life. The whole system needs reviewing.

As a result of moving states I was unemployed from the age of 60 to 67 (my retirement age) due to not being able to get a job because of my age. I was doing unpaid volunteer work during this time to qualify for the unemployment payments. How times have changed in just a couple of years. Suddenly us oldies are being recognised as having some value in the workforce. My point is, who will do the volunteer work if we're all off doing paid work? How will the charities continue to function?:(

Reactions: KatKop
Senior group pushes for pension rule change allowing pensioners to continue working while receiving full entitlements — here are all the details

A seniors group has called for the revision of pension rules, changing the directive to allow older Australians to keep their pension entitlements while still remaining employed.

National Seniors Australia said that the current rules penalise seniors who work beyond the prescribed amount of working time by subjecting their salary to heavy penalties, alongside income tax.

The organisation also quipped that pensioners could potentially fill up the record number of job vacancies in the country.

National Seniors Australia chief advocate Ian Henschke said that the change that the group is campaigning for has already been trialled in other countries, suggesting that pensioners should be able to stay fully employed without facing penalties.

"They have 43 per cent of their 65 to 75 workers there, and in Australia, we have three per cent of our pensioners still working."

Jd2DJWwv_afCl75taWAqWJ7FGcXA9OhXn9OL8NyJYgd7GgVvLEeuqu60u202J7p-5iX_XYj5kFOCBCP-MnpX3hdvZaiDtbcTFUb3m08G9i5eIsbP5daRKiQCSvB_n-QsJ6OzYVk

Currently, pensioners who work beyond their prescribed working time face heavy penalties, alongside income tax. Credit: AAP.

Mr Henschke also commented on the government's budget "black hole" — which was caused by the COVID-19 pandemic — saying that the employment of seniors could help alleviate this financial crisis.

"When (seniors) work they pay income tax, super contributions tax, etc," he said.

"Now we have all of the problems with labour shortages, and the solution from the government is to bring in hundreds of thousands of people from overseas who can't come here in many cases because their countries won't let them go."

"What we have to do is recognise this is a sensible policy that will fix the budget, that will help Australia get out of its labour shortage at the moment."

gZm65jyHJXfA7Qw9NsYJD1IbSoLSIlGZ4q_L8Su8o_FB9VsIw7uDYmv_A_mAOPEijBBzy-dGIVJbitZMiHbA4bXSjeQ-eshqdnIyNBWYGIarAOdFQoitg0DqMPmP54jFBBM2wFo

The new scheme could allow seniors to fill up the record number of job vacancies in Australia. Credit: Nine.

The group also said that since the elections are nearing, the major party that will adopt this policy could potentially gain an electoral advantage over the other parties.

Mr Henschke said: "There are one in two voters now over 50, so pick this one up and run with it."

What are your thoughts on this? Should pensioners be allowed to continue working while receiving full pension entitlements? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!
Absolutely, I have kept working, am 74 no pension as I love my job. Not into gardening, sitting at home watching TV, I work, we travel and enjoy life because of it. Have worked all my life and get nothing back. But if you haven't worked you get all the benefits makes no sense. No where else in the world do you get nothing after 65 years of paying taxes, sad.

I am a 70 yr old pensioner and still working casual hours (8 to 10 hrs average). I would love to receive a full pension as well as my extra wages....what a Godsend that would be.
We have just been given an extra $20 (singles) - Big Deal! That doesn't cover very much of the rising cost of living since Covid hit.
I say bring it on!
Mazda52
I am 75 and am probably worst off then you. They need to spend our money for Nuclear Subs to fight a non existent war.

Reactions: Ricci
As a result of moving states I was unemployed from the age of 60 to 67 (my retirement age) due to not being able to get a job because of my age. I was doing unpaid volunteer work during this time to qualify for the unemployment payments. How times have changed in just a couple of years. Suddenly us oldies are being recognised as having some value in the workforce. My point is, who will do the volunteer work if we're all off doing paid work? How will the charities continue to function?:(
Good question @Ricci! I would love to work a few days per week and have time left for my own activities (which includes volunteering), but as @Tony Delaney said above, the problem is that pensioners are severely penalised for doing a fairly small amount of work.

Have a friend living in the UK for quite a few years now, still working full time, and collecting the full pension also, which is not affectex no matter how much she earns while working.
What 's wrong with Australia??
Wasn't it Scott Morrison, the Australia Prime Minister, who said not long ago,that pensioners are a burden on society??
Go figure.

I fully support this.
I have siblings and friends in NZ who are enjoying being at work and not being penalised and contributing more to the family coffers. Not all have super.

Reactions: KatKop and Ricci
I’m 74 next month and still work about 12 hours per week- I would love to get more work but nobody wants to employ an elderly woman.
I think it would be good not to have to worry about losing pension dollars because you want yo work for a few of the things you can’t afford on the pension, however I’m very grateful for the pension I do get.

Reactions: KatKop and Ricci