Secrets unveiled by top Italian chef: The do’s and don'ts of pasta cooking

Pasta is a staple in many households, but are you cooking it correctly?

According to renowned Italian chef Pier Davide Maiuri, many home cooks make fundamental errors when preparing this beloved dish.

From breaking spaghetti in half to rinsing cooked pasta, these common mistakes could be standing between you and the perfect pasta dish.

Pier Davide Maiuri, the Executive Chef behind Sydney’s esteemed dining establishments Bottega Coco, Luna Lu and Cardea, has worked in Michelin-starred restaurants across Tokyo, Rome, Chicago and Bangkok.

With his rich Italian roots and extensive culinary experience, Chef Maiuri is a true authority on pasta making.

Screenshot 2023-11-27 103855.png
Pier Davide Maiuri, an Italian chef, shares the common mistakes that home cooks tend to make when preparing pasta dishes. Credit: @pierdavide.maiuri/Instagram

'The perfect pasta dish depends on personal preferences, but using quality ingredients, proper cooking techniques, and matching pasta shapes with suitable sauces can go a long way in creating a delicious meal,' Chef Maiuri shared.

'The quality of your ingredients will greatly affect the overall taste of your dish,' he added.

One of the most common mistakes, according to Chef Maiuri, is breaking dried spaghetti in half. This is a big no-no in traditional Italian cooking, and it isn’t good etiquette.

'The idea is to embrace the length and texture of the pasta—cooking it whole allows for a more elegant presentation, and the long strands [can] hold sauce more effectively,' he explained.

'It’s about preserving the integrity of the pasta and respecting the craftsmanship behind it, which is why you’ll never see an Italian breaking their spaghetti in half,' he added.

Another common error is rinsing cooked pasta.

'Rinsing cooked pasta under cold water can remove the starch that helps the sauce adhere to the noodles,' he shared. 'It’s generally not recommended unless you’re making a cold pasta salad.'

The importance of salting the pasta water is another point that Chef Maiuri emphasised. 'Pasta water should be salted generously to season the pasta properly. Don’t rely solely on salting the sauce,' he said.

'Well-seasoned water should taste like the sea, which helps flavour the pasta as it cooks,' he described.

Using a small pot with limited water is another mistake that leads to uneven cooking and sticky pasta. 'Use a large pot with plenty of boiling water,' he advised.

Cooking pasta al dente, or 'to the tooth', is another crucial aspect of pasta preparation. 'Overcooking pasta can make it become mushy and lose its texture,' he claimed. 'Taste the pasta a minute or two before the recommended cooking time.'

compressed-pexels-cottonbro-studio-40576951.jpeg
Chef Maiuri shared that pasta should not be broken in half before cooking. Credit: cottonbro studio/Pexels

Lastly, Chef Maiuri shared a secret that many home cooks overlook: saving the pasta water.

'Before draining the pasta, set aside a cup of pasta cooking water,' he said.

'Toss the cooked pasta with the sauce in the pan to allow the flavours to meld and coat the pasta evenly. The water can be used to adjust the consistency and flavour of the sauce,' he added.

If you’re looking for the perfect sauce for your pasta, Chef Maiuri offered some recommendations:
  • Long pasta, such as spaghetti or linguine, pairs well with light, oil-based or tomato sauces and simple garlic and olive oil preparations.
  • Short pasta, such as penne and rigatoni, goes well with thick, chunky sauces like Bolognese or creamy sauces.
  • Ribbons, such as fettuccine and pappardelle, are best paired with rich, creamy sauces or dishes that feature mushrooms as a key ingredient.
  • Conchiglie, also known as shells, are perfect for holding chunky sauces like meat or vegetable ragù.
  • Twisted pasta like fusilli and rotini pair perfectly with pesto sauce as the sauce clings to the twists.
  • Filled pasta such as ravioli and tortellini is best served with simple butter and sage or light tomato-based sauces to enhance the flavours of the filling.

Chef Maiuri also offered a simple tip when cooking the perfect spaghetti bolognese: 'Use high-quality mince and try and make your sauce from scratch if you can,' he suggested.

'The flavour is in the meat and sauce, so the better quality the meat, the better the sauce,' he continued.

Here’s a simple spaghetti bolognese recipe you can follow:

Ingredients:
  • 500g ground beef
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 carrot, finely chopped
  • 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
  • 1 can (400g) crushed tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup red wine
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Olive oil for cooking
  • 500g spaghetti
  • Grated Parmesan cheese for serving
Instructions:
  1. Heat some olive oil in a pan and add onions, carrots, and celery. Sauté the vegetables until they become soft and tender.
  2. Add ground meat to a heated pan and cook until browned. While cooking, make sure to break up the meat into small pieces for even cooking.
  3. Mix in the tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, red wine, oregano, salt, and pepper, and let it simmer for a minimum of 30 minutes.
  4. Cook the spaghetti until it is firm to the bite (al dente), then mix it with the sauce.
  5. Top with grated Parmesan cheese before serving.
Key Takeaways
  • Italian chef Pier Davide Maiuri highlighted some common mistakes in pasta cooking, including breaking dried spaghetti in half, rinsing cooked pasta, not salting the pasta water, and not conserving pasta water for the sauce.
  • According to Chef Maiuri, breaking spaghetti in half is not good etiquette as it prevents the pasta from holding sauce effectively and affects the dish's presentation.
  • Rinsing cooked pasta removes the starch that plays a crucial role in enabling the sauce to stick to the pasta, and the pasta water should be salted generously to season the pasta properly.
  • Chef Maiuri advised to set aside a cup of pasta cooking water before draining, as this water can be used to modify the consistency and flavour of the sauce.

What are your thoughts on these tips, members? Have you been making these common pasta-cooking mistakes? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
Many moons ago I used to break the pasta in half but then I worked out keeping it whole was actually better. As he said better presentation.

Everything else I pretty much do. Large pot, with salted water and never rinse pasta . I only rinse pasta when making pasta salads and more to stop it from cooking , I do the same with rice , only rinse it for certain dishes

Many moons ago I used to break the pasta in half but then I worked out keeping it whole was actually better. As he said better presentation.

Everything else I pretty much do. Large pot, with salted water and never rinse pasta . I only rinse pasta when making pasta salads and more to stop it from cooking , I do the same with rice , only rinse it for certain dishes
Yes I used to break it also back in the day. Don't go with the 'respect the craftsmanship' stuff though - it tastes the same broken or not.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
He forgot one important thing. Never cook pasta from cold water - always from boiling water. Nothing more cringe worthy than seeing someone throwing pasta into a pot of cold water THEN putting it on the stovetop. Arrgghh!
Yeah, NO don't do that! Rolling boil the whole cooking time. I put at least 3 tablespoons of salt in the water also.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
My wife and I never have salt with anything due to high blood pressure so would never have salt water for this. Still tastes nice when it's cooked.

And it seems Italians only use a fork to eat spaghetti. I don't know how they can do that? I use a spoon as well so I can twirl it round to eat it🙂

Reactions: MIZMAC