Seat of safety: Sky-high debate takes off after Aussie mum’s clever plane seat move

Travelling with little ones can be quite the juggling act. Between the snacks, the toys, and the sudden need for a bathroom break just as the seatbelt sign illuminates, it's a wonder parents manage to reach their destination with their sanity intact.

However, one Aussie mum's clever strategy for flying with her toddler has caught the attention of fellow travellers and sparked a lively discussion about in-flight child safety and comfort.

On a recent family holiday to Bali, the Perth-based mother of four decided to bring along a child's car seat for the plane journey.

This wasn't a common sight in the skies, and many Australian travellers were surprised to learn it was even possible.

The mum hired a car seat that met the airline's specific criteria, which cost her $70 for three weeks. While not a requirement, she felt the investment was worthwhile for the added safety and comfort it provided her toddler during the flight.

277105117_2487432984720089_7122175542856787806_n.jpg
An Aussie mum's use of a hired car seat on a Bali flight stirred traveller discussion. Credits: Facebook / Buckle Up Car Seat Installations

‘Our daughter was so happy to sit in her seat, and aside from needing my arm for reassurance during turbulence, did really well for the entire flight,’ the mum shared online, along with a photo of the car seat securely strapped into the plane seat.

‘I've done over 30 flights with my four kids over the past 15 years but this is the first time I've taken a car seat on board and I'm glad I did. Each child is different and this was the right thing for us!’

The response from the online community was mixed, with some parents chiming in to say they've also brought car seats on flights and found it ‘much more comfortable and reassuring for both [the] child and parents’.

They noted that their children were more comfortable and slept better, and it gave them peace of mind knowing their little ones were secure.

On the flip side, some travellers expressed concerns about the safety implications of bringing a bulky car seat into the cabin.

They worried that it could ‘quite possibly cause greater injury’ during turbulence or obstruct the way in an emergency evacuation.

‘The only way I can see this is as long as you always booked the three seats in a row. Otherwise, it'd be a pain and possibly a death trap for other passengers,’ one person argued.

However, the mother reassured that she ‘wouldn’t be doing it if it was going to impede anyone else’.

Many people's surprise at the sight of a car seat on a plane highlighted a lack of widespread knowledge about airline policies regarding child restraints.

‘I've never seen this before. What an awesome way for your kid to travel and be able to fall asleep,’ one commented.

‘I was like “[what?]” when I [saw] this, then read how your kid went and thought what a great idea,’ another remarked.

‘Kids always sleep in their seats and their seats are way more comfortable and secure than a plane seat.’

In fact, many airlines, including Virgin Australia and Qantas, allow the use of child car seats as long as they meet Australian design standards and are clearly labelled as approved for air travel.

These standards ensure that the car seat fits within the size and weight limits of aircraft seats and does not compromise the safety of anyone on board.

From surprising in-flight encounters to debates over proper aeroplane etiquette, the skies have become a stage for unexpected dramas and discussions.

In a recent incident bound to spark conversations about passenger behaviour, an Australian mother's unconventional approach to securing a car seat on a flight to Bali left fellow travellers astounded.

This unexpected episode adds fuel to the ongoing discourse surrounding aeroplane decorum, particularly concerning the contentious issue of seat reclining.

As travellers grapple with the nuances of polite behaviour in cramped aeroplane cabins, tales like these underscore the need for a collective understanding of courtesy at cruising altitude.
Key Takeaways
  • An Australian mother hired a car seat meeting airline criteria for a flight to Bali, sparking debate among travellers.
  • She shared her positive experience online, stating her toddler was comfortable and the seat provided extra safety during the flight.
  • The move surprised many who were unaware that taking a car seat on a plane was an option.
  • Australian airlines like Virgin Australia and Qantas allow child car seats that meet specific safety standards.
Have you ever taken a car seat on a flight? Were you aware that this was an option? Share your stories and tips in the comments below!

Sponsored
A very smart lady l believe. A bit of forward thinking where both the baby & herself were concerned.

By keeping the child in an approved 'safety capsule' on the plane & secured by a seat belt into the seat she was comfortable in the knowledge the child would sleep in safety. She would have paid for that seat so it is not as if the seat was being used at the exclusion of another passenger.

By so doing she has highlighted to other passengers both then & in the future, what is allowed by certain airlines when flying with an infant.

Reactions: katdragon2010