SDC's Winter Survival Kit - Our 2024 Winter Must-Haves

I’m very excited to be sharing our very first ‘Winter Survival Kit’.

This is an ongoing series capturing the SDC team’s favourite winter essentials.

What’s up first?

#1 is my (April) personal recommendation, the Oodie*. But not just their best-selling Sherpa hoodie*, I’m talking about their new slipper and house shoe range*!
I struggle with poor circulation, so winter holds many challenges. Luckily, there are things I’ve found to lessen and even completely alleviate my discomfort and pain.

Of course, step one is staying warm.

But do you notice certain parts of your body feel the cold first? Things like your nose, fingers, toes? There’s actually a medical reason for that: they lack muscles and fat, and it takes longer for blood to circulate to these areas and provide warmth. Your body has essentially made the decision to risk sacrificing the more expendable parts – fingers, toes, ears, nose, cheeks – to preserve your core temperature.

That’s why it’s so important to keep your extremities warm.

My recommendation?

Quality slippers*. Why did I specify quality? Well, those novelty oversized slippers and, likewise, flimsy fluffy slippers are more for appearance than warmth. Not to mention how risky some can be in terms of increasing your fall risk.

In fact, a study looking at the footwear choices of seniors and its link to falling found that 51.9% of falls were attributed to going barefoot, wearing socks without shoes, or wearing loose fitting slippers.

photo (42).jpg
They may look cute, but your safety is more important. Image Credit: SDC & Kmart

Even QLD Health agrees that ‘Some types of footwear, such as loose fitting sling backs, slippers, thongs or scuffs, can increase the risk of falls. Wearing socks without shoes can also increase the risk of falls.’

What is recommended instead?*

photo (43).jpg
Can you see the difference? Image Credit: The Oodie

After researching, I set my eyes on The Oodie’s new Sherpa Boot* and Puffer Boot*, here’s why.

They both feature:
- Heel hug technology (and padded heel support), meaning you get a snug fit.
- Loop/pull tab at the back to allow for ease of getting on and off (no shoehorn required!).
- Sherpa-line interior (for warmth).
- Machine washable (for convenience).
- Rubber outsole so you can take them outdoors—no more cold toes when hanging out the laundry.

The Sherpa Boot* also offers a moulded footbed with arch support, perfect for those needing a little extra. Available in Black*, Khaki* and White*.

Meanwhile, the Puffer Boot* is perfect for anyone who prefers a low-cut slipper/shoe. Available in Black (with green accents)*, Khaki (with black accents)*, and White (with grey accents)*.

shoes-pufferboot.png
There are currently three colours to choose from in this style. Image Credit: The Oodie

Of course, their classics are still on offer too, including the best-selling Oodie*, sleepwear*, and weighted blankets*.

With all that said, I’ll be picking up the Black/Green Puffer Boot* to match my Star Wars Grogu Oodie*!

Shop the entire slipper range here*.

Stay tuned for issue #2 of the SDC's Winter Survival Kit. Coming soon!

*These products were hand-picked by our team. Please note that this is a sponsored article. All content of ours that has an asterisk next to it means we may get a commission when you click on a link – at no cost to you! We do this to assist with the costs of running the SDC. Thank you!

Sponsored