SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #519 - 26/10/2024

Question 1: In which year did the Dow Jones Industrial Average experience its largest single-day percentage drop, known as Black Monday?

On October 19, 1987, the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell by 22.6%, the largest single-day percentage drop in history. This event, known as Black Monday, was triggered by a combination of factors, including program trading, overvaluation, and market psychology.

Question 2: Which fashion designer is known for his iconic "wrap dress" design?

Diane von Fürstenberg's iconic wrap dress, first introduced in 1974, became a symbol of women's liberation and has since been worn by millions of women around the world.

Question 3: In the periodic table, what is the lightest halogen?

Fluorine, with an atomic number of 9, is the lightest halogen in the periodic table. It is a highly reactive, pale yellow gas at standard conditions.

Question 4: In which country would you find the city of Timbuktu?

Timbuktu is a city in the West African nation of Mali. It was an important trade center on the trans-Saharan caravan route and is famous for its ancient manuscripts and Islamic scholars.

Question 5: Which of these is NOT an input device for computers?

A printer is an output device used to produce a hard copy of electronic data, while keyboards, mice, and microphones are all input devices used to feed data into a computer.

Question 6: What was the pen name of the author Eric Arthur Blair?

Eric Arthur Blair, better known by his pen name George Orwell, was an English novelist, essayist, journalist and critic. He is best known for his novels Animal Farm (1945) and Nineteen Eighty-Four (1949), which are renowned for their insightful social commentary and critique of totalitarianism.

Question 7: If a computer's central processing unit (CPU) is considered its "brain", which component would be considered its "short-term memory"?

Random Access Memory (RAM) is a computer's "working" memory, used to store data that the CPU needs quick access to while performing tasks. The more RAM a computer has, the more tasks it can handle simultaneously without slowing down, similar to short-term memory in the human brain. In contrast, storage devices like hard drives and SSDs hold data long-term, more akin to long-term memory.

Question 8: If you hear thunder, how far away is the lightning that caused it?

You can estimate the distance of lightning by counting the seconds between the flash of lightning and the sound of thunder. Since light travels much faster than sound, the lightning is seen almost instantly while the thunder takes time to reach you. Sound travels about 1 mile every 5 seconds, so dividing the seconds counted by 5 gives you the distance in miles.

Question 9: What is the term for the main song in a musical that expresses the main theme or a character's primary desires?

In musical theatre, the "I Want" song is a number in which the main character sings about their primary desire or goal. It often occurs early in the first act and sets up the central conflict or journey of the character. Famous examples include "Part of Your World" from The Little Mermaid and "Wouldn't It Be Loverly" from My Fair Lady.

Question 10: What was the name of the sea witch in the Disney movie "The Little Mermaid"?

Ursula is a fictional character who appears as the main antagonist in Disney's 1989 animated feature film "The Little Mermaid". She is a villainous sea witch who offers to make Ariel's dreams come true in exchange for her voice.

You got answers correct

I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #519
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟥
Question 9: 🟥
Question 10: 🟩

Q2 good guess 😺
Q8 WHAT?? 1 to 5, or 5 to 25, what is the difference ???:unsure:
Q9 no idea.😾
Q10 good guess😺.

Can't sleep, I injured my back repairing my mates BullBar,
altercation with Roo at Birdwood in Adelaide hills.
🍷🍷pain easing now:sneaky:

Question 2: 🟥
Question 9: 🟩
🙄Not good 2day!
Q2 says "his" ... then names a woman ?!?
Q5 all the latest options give input. My printer does more than just print. The question is outdated.
Q8 A and C are exactly the same!? According to my maths anyway.
😿

Question 9: 🟥

Q2 good guess 😺
Q8 WHAT?? 1 to 5, or 5 to 25, what is the difference ???:unsure:
Q9 no idea.😾
Q10 good guess😺.

Can't sleep, I injured my back repairing my mates BullBar,
altercation with Roo at Birdwood in Adelaide hills.
🍷🍷pain easing now:sneaky:
Hope it's not serious? Bad back pain is awful to cure. 🙀The hills are alive with 🦘🦘🦘as I recall. Good prescription🍷

I got 4 out of 10 (40%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #519
Question 1: 🟥
Question 3: 🟥
Question 6: 🟥
Question 7: 🟥

Not a good morning today. Not sure about the answer to number 8 which I got wrong but have always used a different formula. It will be interesting to see how others responded!

🙄Not good 2day!
Q2 says "his" ... then names a woman ?!?
Q5 all the latest options give input. My printer does more than just print. The question is outdated.
Q8 A and C are exactly the same!? According to my maths anyway.
😿
I agree re 8, 100%.

I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #519
Question 4: 🟥

what?
Q2 states "his" then gives answer as a woman.
Q8- A and C are identical answers, so A is also correct. Simple maths.

Question 10: 🟥

I answered A to #8…. Which is exactly the same as C…..it’s not rocket science, just everyday commonsense science….as a lot of others have answered the same……So I will give all those who answered A and got it ❌Give yourselves another point ✅
#10…. No idea ❌