SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #484 - 21/09/2024

Question 1: What is the primary greenhouse gas emitted through human activities?

Carbon dioxide (CO2) is the primary greenhouse gas emitted through human activities. CO2 is released through burning fossil fuels (coal, natural gas, and oil), solid waste, trees and other biological materials, and also as a result of certain chemical reactions (e.g., manufacture of cement). CO2 is removed from the atmosphere when it is absorbed by plants as part of the biological carbon cycle.

Question 2: Where do most hurricanes that impact the United States originate?

Most hurricanes that make landfall in the United States originate in the Atlantic Ocean. They typically form off the coast of Africa and are steered westward by trade winds, often strengthening as they cross the warm waters of the Atlantic.

Question 3: What is the name of the fictional city where Batman operates?

Gotham City is the dark, crime-ridden fictional city that serves as the home base for the DC Comics superhero Batman. It's often portrayed as a gritty, industrial urban landscape that mirrors the dark tone of the Batman stories.

Question 4: Who is credited with inventing calculus?

Both Isaac Newton and Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz independently developed the foundations of calculus in the late 17th century. While Newton was the first to develop the ideas, Leibniz created much of the notation used in calculus today.

Question 5: If animals could talk, the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow; but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much. Who wrote this?

This quote is from Mark Twain's "Pudd'nhead Wilson and Other Tales." Mark Twain, the pen name of Samuel Langhorne Clemens, was a celebrated American writer, humorist, entrepreneur, publisher, and lecturer best known for his novels "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" and "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn."

Question 6: Where was the Lighthouse of Alexandria, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, located?

The Lighthouse of Alexandria, also known as the Pharos of Alexandria, was a lighthouse built by the Ptolemaic Kingdom between 280 and 247 BC. It was located on the island of Pharos in Alexandria, Egypt, and was one of the tallest man-made structures in the world for many centuries.

Question 7: What is the largest land mammal in the world?

The African bush elephant is the largest living terrestrial animal, with males reaching an average weight of 6 tons (13,000 lb). They inhabit a wide range of habitats including savannas, grasslands, and forests across sub-Saharan Africa.

Question 8: Who is considered the father of modern chemistry?

Antoine Lavoisier, a French chemist, is widely regarded as the "Father of Modern Chemistry". He discovered the role of oxygen in combustion, helped to establish the law of conservation of mass, and wrote the first extensive list of elements.

Question 9: Which American author wrote the novel "The Grapes of Wrath"?

John Steinbeck, a Nobel Prize-winning author, wrote "The Grapes of Wrath" in 1939. The novel depicts the hardships faced by a poor family of tenant farmers driven from their Oklahoma home during the Great Depression.

Question 10: How many keys are on a standard piano keyboard?

A standard piano has 88 keys, consisting of 52 white keys and 36 black keys. The white keys represent the musical notes A, B, C, D, E, F, and G, while the black keys represent the sharp and flat notes.

You got answers correct

I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #484
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟥
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩

So I got #2 ❌….that’s okay!!
Stoked to have answered #3 ✅….after all this time I am remembering things about superheroes…never too old to learn!!
Commiserations to those who’s football team did not win last night 🤣.
Although my team is not part of the finals this year, I’m hoping Geelong can get across the line tonight….Go Cats!!

I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #484
Question 2: 🟥

So I got #2 ❌….that’s okay!!
Stoked to have answered #3 ✅….after all this time I am remembering things about superheroes…never too old to learn!!
Commiserations to those who’s football team did not win last night 🤣.
Although my team is not part of the finals this year, I’m hoping Geelong can get across the line tonight….Go Cats!!
My team will pluck a few chickens in the NRL!

I got 10 out of 10 (100%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #484
Question 2: 🟩

Six out of ten questions were science or geography based. How could I go wrong!!

My two favourite subjects at school!