SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #46 - 10/07/2023

Question 1: Why is the hole in the ozone layer particularly larger over Antarctica?

Antarctic's low temperatures cause the formation of polar stratospheric clouds, which contribute to the chemical reactions that break down ozone molecules. Additionally, the unique circulation patterns isolate the air in the Antarctic region, allowing the hole to form and persist.

Question 2: The term "AU" stands for what astronomical measurement?

An Astronomical Unit (AU) is a unit of length used to measure the average distance between the Earth and the Sun, which is approximately 93 million miles (150 million kilometers). It is commonly used to express distances within our solar system.

Question 3: In which year did the construction of the Great Wall of China begin?

The construction of the Great Wall of China began during the 7th century BC, under the rule of various Chinese states. The wall was built and expanded over the centuries to protect China from invasions and raids by nomadic tribes.

Question 4: When was the famous Mona Lisa painted by Leonardo da Vinci?

The Mona Lisa, also known as La Gioconda, is a portrait of a woman painted by Italian artist Leonardo da Vinci. It is believed that he started the painting in 1503 and continued to work on it until 1506, although some experts suggest he may have continued to make alterations as late as 1517. The painting is housed in the Louvre Museum in Paris, France.

Question 5: How many episodes are in the original Australian TV series "Skippy the Bush Kangaroo"?

"Skippy the Bush Kangaroo" is an Australian TV series that ran from 1967 to 1969. It follows the adventures of a young boy and his intelligent pet kangaroo named Skippy.

Question 6: The Eiffel Tower was constructed for which famous event?

The Eiffel Tower was designed by Gustave Eiffel as the entranceway to the 1889 Exposition Universelle, which marked the 100th anniversary of the French Revolution. It has since become one of the most iconic landmarks in the world.

Question 7: The philosophy of "I think, therefore I am" is attributed to which philosopher?

René Descartes, a French philosopher, is known for his famous statement "Cogito, ergo sum" (I think, therefore I am), which suggests self-awareness as the foundation of existence. It is a cornerstone of Western philosophy.

Question 8: When did the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX) officially launch?

The Australian Stock Exchange (ASX) officially began operations on 1 April 1987. It was the result of the merger of six independent stock exchanges that previously existed in Australian capital cities.

Question 9: How many hours does it take for a hen to lay one egg?

Hens take about 24 to 26 hours to produce one egg. Once an egg is laid, the process starts all over again, usually with a short break before the next egg begins to form.

Question 10: Where did Sigmund Freud develop and practice his famous psychoanalysis theories?

Sigmund Freud, the father of psychoanalysis, lived and worked in Vienna, Austria for most of his life. He left Vienna in 1938 and moved to London due to the rise of the Nazis.

You got answers correct

I knew the great wall of China took over 2000 years to build and started before Before Christ. I saw a documentary on it and if it was built today would take around 50 years .
I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #46
Question 1: 🟥
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟥
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩

Question 1: Why is the hole in the ozone layer particularly larger over Antarctica?

Antarctic's low temperatures cause the formation of polar stratospheric clouds, which contribute to the chemical reactions that break down ozone molecules. Additionally, the unique circulation patterns isolate the air in the Antarctic region, allowing the hole to form and persist.

An Astronomical Unit (AU) is a unit of length used to measure the average distance between the Earth and the Sun, which is approximately 93 million miles (150 million kilometers). It is commonly used to express distances within our solar system.

Question 3: In which year did the construction of the Great Wall of China begin?

The construction of the Great Wall of China began during the 7th century BC, under the rule of various Chinese states. The wall was built and expanded over the centuries to protect China from invasions and raids by nomadic tribes.

The Mona Lisa, also known as La Gioconda, is a portrait of a woman painted by Italian artist Leonardo da Vinci. It is believed that he started the painting in 1503 and continued to work on it until 1506, although some experts suggest he may have continued to make alterations as late as 1517. The painting is housed in the Louvre Museum in Paris, France.

Question 5: How many episodes are in the original Australian TV series "Skippy the Bush Kangaroo"?

"Skippy the Bush Kangaroo" is an Australian TV series that ran from 1967 to 1969. It follows the adventures of a young boy and his intelligent pet kangaroo named Skippy.

The Eiffel Tower was designed by Gustave Eiffel as the entranceway to the 1889 Exposition Universelle, which marked the 100th anniversary of the French Revolution. It has since become one of the most iconic landmarks in the world.

Question 7: The philosophy of "I think, therefore I am" is attributed to which philosopher?

René Descartes, a French philosopher, is known for his famous statement "Cogito, ergo sum" (I think, therefore I am), which suggests self-awareness as the foundation of existence. It is a cornerstone of Western philosophy.

The Australian Stock Exchange (ASX) officially began operations on 1 April 1987. It was the result of the merger of six independent stock exchanges that previously existed in Australian capital cities.

Hens take about 24 to 26 hours to produce one egg. Once an egg is laid, the process starts all over again, usually with a short break before the next egg begins to form.

Question 10: Where did Sigmund Freud develop and practice his famous psychoanalysis theories?

Sigmund Freud, the father of psychoanalysis, lived and worked in Vienna, Austria for most of his life. He left Vienna in 1938 and moved to London due to the rise of the Nazis.

You got answers correct
That is my worst ever. My old brain is fading

Up and down with my scores - 5/10 today. A lot of Australian related questions escape me; as an immigrant I’m not up with many questions on Australia and their answers.

Reactions: lonelyasacloud
I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #46
Question 1: 🟩
Question 3: 🟥
Question 5: 🟥
Question 8: 🟥

Reactions: lonelyasacloud
agree with Mona Lisa finished in 1519 = 16 years.
Also Great Wall china started in 3rd century so I was taught. Was surprised this was wrong- google search says both 3rd and 7th. how can there be such a difference in dates?

You got answers correct

I got 10 out of 10 (100%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #46
Question 3: 🟩

You got answers correct
10 out 0f 10

I got 10 out of 10 (100%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #46
Question 3: 🟩