SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #443 - 11/08/2024

Question 1: How many patents did prolific inventor Thomas Edison hold?

Thomas Edison was one of the most prolific inventors in history, holding 1,093 US patents in his name, as well as many patents in the United Kingdom, France, and Germany. His inventions included the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and early versions of the electric light bulb.

Question 2: How many nights does Hanukkah traditionally last?

Hanukkah, also known as the Festival of Lights, is a Jewish holiday that traditionally lasts for eight nights and days. It commemorates the rededication of the Second Temple in Jerusalem during the second century B.C.

Question 3: What philosophical movement was founded by Zeno of Citium in the 3rd century BC?

Stoicism, founded by Zeno of Citium, was a school of Hellenistic philosophy that emphasized ethics, logic, and the natural world. Stoics believed in living a life of virtue in accordance with reason.

Question 4: Why is the Earth's inner core believed to be solid despite the high temperatures?

Despite temperatures reaching about 9,800°F (5,400°C), the inner core remains solid due to the immense pressure from the weight of the outer layers pressing inwards. This pressure prevents the atoms from moving into a liquid or gas state.

Question 5: Where does the TV sitcom Friends take place?

The iconic sitcom Friends is set in New York City, with much of the action taking place in the characters' apartments in Greenwich Village and the fictional Central Perk coffee shop.

Question 6: If you traveled due east from New York City, which European country would you reach first?

Although Spain may seem like the obvious answer, Portugal is actually the first European country you would reach if you traveled due east from New York City. This is because Portugal's westernmost point extends slightly further west than Spain's.

Question 7: Why does the Moon appear to change shape throughout the month?

The Moon's phases are caused by the changing angle of the Sun's light hitting the Moon as seen from Earth. As the Moon orbits Earth, the amount of sunlight reflecting off its surface varies, giving us the impression of different lunar phases. The Moon itself does not change shape.

Question 8: Who founded the company Microsoft?

Bill Gates co-founded Microsoft with Paul Allen in 1975. Microsoft went on to become one of the world's most valuable companies, and Gates became one of the wealthiest people in the world largely due to Microsoft's success.

Question 9: If a symphony is played by a full orchestra, how many movements does it usually have?

A typical symphony has four movements: an opening movement in sonata form, a slow movement, a minuet or scherzo with trio, and a final allegro. However, there are many exceptions to this format.

Question 10: If you had hypertrichosis, which part of your body would be affected?

Hypertrichosis is a condition characterized by excessive hair growth anywhere on a person's body. It is sometimes referred to as "werewolf syndrome" due to the animal-like appearance it can give to those affected.

You got answers correct

I only got 2 correct. No. 3 Stoicism, and No. 8 Bill Gates. Stoics believed in living a life of virtue in accordance with reason. I believe in living a life of virtue in according with reason with the help of my Microsoft Laptop to make sure I get all the facts straight. Judging by my score I sure rely on it! Thanks Bill Gates. Great game with interesting facts.