SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #379 - 08/06/2024

Question 1: Who first discovered the antibiotic penicillin?

Alexander Fleming discovered penicillin in 1928 when he noticed that a mold called Penicillium notatum had contaminated a culture plate of Staphylococcus bacteria and prevented its growth. This serendipitous finding revolutionized medicine and has saved countless lives.

Question 2: How many studio albums did The Beatles release?

The Beatles released 12 studio albums in the UK and 13 in the US, due to slightly different track listings and release dates. Their final album, Let It Be, was actually recorded before Abbey Road but released later.

Question 3: Who developed the concept of the "carbon footprint"?

Mathis Wackernagel is a Swiss-born sustainability advocate who co-created the Ecological Footprint and developed the carbon footprint concept in the 1990s to compare human demand on nature with Earth's ecological capacity to regenerate.

Question 4: What was the longest prison sentence ever issued in the United States?

In 1981, Dudley Wayne Kyzer of Alabama was convicted of killing his wife, his mother-in-law, and a college student. He was sentenced to two life terms plus 10,000 years for each victim, totaling 30,000 years. However, his sentence was later reduced to life imprisonment.

Question 5: If invited to dine in a Japanese home, what should you say before eating?

"Itadakimasu" roughly translates to "I humbly receive" in Japanese. It is customary to say this phrase before eating to express thanks for the meal.

Question 6: In what part of the body would you find the medulla oblongata?

The medulla oblongata is located in the lower part of the brainstem. It helps regulate vital functions like heart rate, blood pressure, and breathing.

Question 7: In which city would you find the famous Trevi Fountain?

The Trevi Fountain is an 18th-century fountain located in the Trevi district of Rome, Italy. Legend has it that if you throw a coin into the fountain, you are ensured a return trip to Rome.

Question 8: In what type of rock are fossils most likely to be found?

Fossils are most commonly found in sedimentary rocks because they form from layers of sand, silt, and other materials that gradually build up and solidify over time. This process can preserve the remains or traces of ancient life as fossils within the rock layers.

Question 9: Where were the oldest human fossils found?

The oldest known modern human remains, dating back about 195,000 years, were found in Ethiopia in 1967. The fossils, known as Omo I, were found in the Kibish Formation near the Omo River.

Question 10: If you see a bald eagle, what country's national symbol are you looking at?

The bald eagle has been the national symbol of the United States since 1782 when it was chosen for the Great Seal of the United States. Despite the name, bald eagles are not actually bald - they have white feathers covering their head and neck.

You got answers correct

I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #379
Question 1: 🟥
Question 2: 🟥
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟥
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩

whoah, I had a good sleep last night. Brain cells working a little better today! LOL.

I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #379
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟥
Question 4: 🟥
Question 7: 🟥
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟥
Quest
ion 10: 🟩

I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #379
Question 1: 🟥
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟥
Question 6: 🟥
Question 9: 🟩

I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #379
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 9: 🟥

Question 2 - Only if you count "The Magical Mystery Tour" as a studio album. I believe it was released as a double EP in the UK.