SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #368 - 28/05/2024

Question 1: How many categories are hurricanes classified into according to the Saffir-Simpson scale?

The Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale is a 1 to 5 rating based on a hurricane's sustained wind speed. This scale estimates potential property damage. Category 1 is the lowest, with winds of 74-95 mph, while Category 5 is the highest, with winds exceeding 156 mph.

Question 2: How long did it take Leonardo da Vinci to paint the Mona Lisa?

Experts believe Leonardo began painting the Mona Lisa in 1503 or 1504 and completed it around 1506-1507. However, he is thought to have continued working on it as late as 1517. The painting is famous for the subject's enigmatic smile.

Question 3: In which year was Elvis Presley born?

Elvis Presley was born on January 8, 1935 in Tupelo, Mississippi. He is widely regarded as one of the most significant cultural icons of the 20th century and is often referred to as the "King of Rock and Roll".

Question 4: Why did J.R.R. Tolkien write The Lord of the Rings?

Tolkien once wrote that he aimed "to restore to the English an epic tradition and present them with a mythology of their own." He felt England lacked its own body of myth and legend compared to other cultures.

Question 5: How many U.S. Presidents have been impeached?

The three U.S. Presidents who have been impeached by the House of Representatives are Andrew Johnson in 1868, Bill Clinton in 1998, and Donald Trump in 2019 and 2021. However, none of them were convicted and removed from office by the Senate. Impeachment requires a majority vote in the House, while conviction and removal requires a two-thirds supermajority in the Senate.

Question 6: Which classic sitcom featured the characters JJ, Thelma, and Michael Evans?

Good Times was a spin-off of the sitcom Maude. The show aired on CBS from 1974 to 1979 and was one of the first sitcoms to feature a two-parent African American family.

Question 7: If a book is a "potboiler", what does that mean?

The term "potboiler" originated in the 19th century, implying that a work was written fast, perhaps to "boil the pot" and put food on the table. While potboilers are often seen as lower quality literature, many famous authors have penned potboilers, including Edgar Allan Poe.

Question 8: Why does the Moon have phases?

As the Moon orbits Earth about once a month, the angle between the Earth, Moon and Sun changes, altering the amount of sunlight reflected off the lunar surface that is visible from Earth. This creates the Moon's characteristic phases from new moon to full moon and back.

Question 9: Why was Machu Picchu likely built by the Incas?

Machu Picchu was built around 1450 AD at the height of the Inca Empire. Archeological evidence suggests it was a palace complex for the Inca emperor Pachacuti and visiting nobles, featuring elegant stone structures and terraced hills.

Question 10: Who discovered the tomb of King Tutankhamun in 1922?

Howard Carter was a British archaeologist who became world-famous after discovering the intact tomb of the 18th Dynasty Pharaoh Tutankhamun in the Valley of the Kings. The discovery sparked a renewed public interest in ancient Egypt.

You got answers correct

I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #368
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟥
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟥
Question 10: 🟩

I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #368
Question 4: 🟥
Question 6: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩

80%…..
Somewhat puzzled at the answer to #2….The Mona Lisa was painted between 1503 and 1519 which is 16 years…..not 1 - 4 - 10 years or 6 months….
By now I would have thought someone could at least check the questions and alter the answers if need be…
The Trivia puzzle needs a big overhaul!!!!

I got 6 out of 10 (60%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #368
Question 4: 🟩
Question 6: 🟥
Question 8: 🟥
Question 9: 🟥
Without the repeat questions, this would have been a dog's breakfast. 😼 😸😸

Written with friends and relatives in mind, and intended to 'move' and 'delight' readers of The Hobbit (who had grown up in the meantime), The Lord of the Rings was also a tribute to Tolkien's companions who were killed during the First World War, especially his two very close friends Robert Gilson and Geoffrey Smith. I had heard this reson before and that is why I chose D an allegory, the closed I could come to this. After furtherserching I believe he never intended this message. I have never heard of it being a "Tolkien once wrote that he aimed "to restore to the English an epic tradition and present them with a mythology of their own." He felt England lacked its own body of myth and legend compared to other cultures." I figured England had enough mythology already. Apparently I'm wrong. I would like to know where the compiler found his answer.

Written with friends and relatives in mind, and intended to 'move' and 'delight' readers of The Hobbit (who had grown up in the meantime), The Lord of the Rings was also a tribute to Tolkien's companions who were killed during the First World War, especially his two very close friends Robert Gilson and Geoffrey Smith. I had heard this reson before and that is why I chose D an allegory, the closed I could come to this. After furtherserching I believe he never intended this message. I have never heard of it being a "Tolkien once wrote that he aimed "to restore to the English an epic tradition and present them with a mythology of their own." He felt England lacked its own body of myth and legend compared to other cultures." I figured England had enough mythology already. Apparently I'm wrong. I would like to know where the compiler found his answer.
The writing of The Lord Of The Rings was commenced in 1937, two years before the outbreak of World War II so that was dismissed as an answer. To make money? Ha! To impress his Oxford colleagues? Not likely! That's why I stuck with the mythology aspect.