SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #290 - 11/03/2024

Question 1: Where is the original sculpture of "The Thinker" by Auguste Rodin located?

"The Thinker" is part of a larger work called "The Gates of Hell" which was started by Rodin in 1881. The original size was conceived in 1880 and the first cast was completed in 1902. The famous sculpture can be found at the Musée Rodin in Paris, and several other casts exist around the world.

Question 2: What property of a wave is measured in Hertz (Hz)?

The frequency of a wave is the number of cycles of the wave that pass a fixed point in one second. It is measured in Hertz (Hz). Heinrich Hertz was the first to conclusively prove the existence of electromagnetic waves in the late 19th century.

Question 3: Who wrote the novel "Moby-Dick"?

"Moby-Dick" was published in 1851 and is considered one of the great American novels. Though not initially a success, its status grew over the years, and Herman Melville is now regarded as one of the literary giants of the 19th century.

Question 4: Who created the Star Wars franchise?

George Lucas is the filmmaker and entrepreneur behind the Star Wars franchise. The original film, "Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope," was released in 1977 and became a worldwide pop culture phenomenon. It spawned a massive franchise including movies, TV shows, novels, comic books, and a wide range of other merchandise.

Question 5: What was the primary reason Japanese cities were chosen for atomic bomb drops during World War II?

Hiroshima and Nagasaki were chosen for the atomic bombings because they had not been heavily damaged by previous bombing raids, making them suitable to demonstrate the bomb's destructive capacity. Hiroshima was bombed on August 6, 1945, followed by Nagasaki on August 9, 1945.

Question 6: What is the oldest operating company in the world?

Kongo Gumi, established in 578 AD, is a construction company originally founded to build the Shitennō-ji Temple in Osaka, Japan. It’s remarkable for its longevity, having been in continuous operation for over 1,400 years until it was absorbed as a subsidiary of another company in 2006.

Question 7: Which TV series was infamously known for its "Who shot J.R.?" cliffhanger?

The "Who shot J.R.?" cliffhanger at the end of the 1979-1980 season of "Dallas" became a global phenomenon. J.R. Ewing, portrayed by Larry Hagman, was shot by an unknown assailant, leading to intense speculation and international interest. The answer was finally revealed in the fourth episode of the following season, which at the time became one of the highest-rated television episodes in U.S. history.

Question 8: The Rosetta Stone was crucial in deciphering which ancient language?

The Rosetta Stone featured the same text carved in hieroglyphs, Demotic script, and Ancient Greek. This provided a key for scholars to finally decode Egyptian hieroglyphs, which had been a mystery for centuries. The stone was discovered in 1799.

Question 9: What element has the highest melting point of any metal?

Tungsten, with its atomic number 74, has the highest melting point of all the elements at 3,422°C (6,192°F). This property makes it suitable for use in electrical and military applications, including incandescent light bulb filaments and rocket engine nozzles.

Question 10: When did the Brothers Grimm first publish their collection of fairy tales?

The first edition of "Grimm's Fairy Tales" was published in 1812 and it included stories like "Cinderella," "Rapunzel," and "Hansel and Gretel." Over time, the collection was expanded, edited, and translated into more than 100 languages, becoming a renowned work in folk literature.

You got answers correct

I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #290
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟥
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩

A few lucky guesses.

Question 5: 🟥
Question 6: 🟩

Just goes to show I still know nothing about wars…As for #4, an absolute guess!!

Enjoy ☺️ Adelaide Cup Day if you are in S.A.

Reactions: steelo5

Just goes to show I still know nothing about wars…As for #4, an absolute guess!!

Enjoy ☺️ Adelaide Cup Day if you are in S.A.
YEAH CHEERS, but what about the HORSES?? they should not have to run the distance just so people can bet. Not in this HEAT, " where's the RSPCA??" :(:(

Reactions: steelo5
When a company is absorbed by another, the company is no longer operating as an entity. Does that not mean Kongo Gumi is no longer operating? It's no longer a family business was only saved by a corporate citizen from total closure because of the respect for history in Japan with it's temples and shrines.

I got 5 out of 10 (50%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #290
Question 2: 🟥
Question 3: 🟥
Question 6: 🟥
Question 10: 🟥

🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️