SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #275 - 25/02/2024

Question 1: What architectural style is the Notre-Dame Cathedral in Paris an example of?

The Notre-Dame Cathedral, which began construction in the 12th century, is a quintessential example of French Gothic architecture. Its flying buttresses allow it to have stain-glass windows of impressive size, a characteristic feature of the style.

Question 2: In what year did the Battle of Hastings take place?

The Battle of Hastings occurred on October 14, 1066, and was a pivotal point in British history. It led to the Norman conquest of England and the reign of William the Conqueror as the King of England.

Question 3: What is the name of the largest active volcano in the world?

Mauna Loa is located in Hawaii and is one of five volcanoes that form the Island of Hawaii. It last erupted in 1984 and is considered the largest active volcano in the world based on volume and area covered.

Question 4: What is the value of Pi to two decimal places?

Pi is a mathematical constant representing the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. It is an irrational number, meaning it has an infinite number of digits which do not repeat. The value of Pi has been calculated to trillions of digits beyond the decimal point.

Question 5: Who is the Greek goddess of victory?

Nike is known as the winged goddess of victory in Greek mythology, representing both victory in war and peaceful competition. Some of the most famous representations of Nike include the Winged Victory of Samothrace statue and the Nike of Paionios.

Question 6: Who is considered the "father of science fiction"?

Jules Verne is often referred to as the "father of science fiction" because he was one of the first authors to introduce science-based themes into narrative storytelling. His famous works include "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" and "Around the World in Eighty Days." He laid the groundwork for the modern science fiction genre.

Question 7: If someone is experiencing bradycardia, what condition do they have?

Bradycardia is a condition typically defined as a resting heart rate under 60 beats per minute. It can be a result of aging, but can also be caused by a variety of factors including heart health issues, certain medications, and fitness levels.

Question 8: In botany, what is the term used for the loss of water from plants through evaporation?

Transpiration is a process where plants absorb water from the soil and then give off water vapor through pores in their leaves known as stomata. It is an essential part of the water cycle and helps move water from the soil into the atmosphere.

Question 9: What pseudonym did Samuel Clemens use as his pen name?

Samuel Clemens, better known by his pen name Mark Twain, was an American writer, humorist, entrepreneur, publisher, and lecturer. Among his most famous works are "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" and "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer". Twain's pen name is a nautical term meaning two fathoms (12 feet) deep.

Question 10: Which musical won the Tony Award for Best Musical in 1987?

Les Misérables, based on the novel by Victor Hugo, opened on Broadway in 1987 and won eight Tony Awards, including Best Musical. It is one of the longest-running shows on Broadway and was a critical and commercial success internationally.

You got answers correct

I got 7 out of 10 (70%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #275
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟥
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟥
Question 7: 🟥
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟩

I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #275
Question 3: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 10: 🟥
Not too bad but no cigar … maybe tomorrow 😳

I got 10 out of 10 (100%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #275
Question 6: 🟩
Wow 🤩 couple of repeat questions and some great guesses 😁

First time player, hoping to improve my score and combat autoimmune brain fog. I used to love and do ok in game shows now I don't even watch them.

I got 4 out of 10 (40%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #275
Question 1: 🟥
Question 3: 🟥
Question 5: 🟥
Question 7: 🟥

Reactions: magpie1
I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #275
Depending on what source you research, HG Wells is also given the title of the Father of Science Fiction...just saying..

Reactions: Veggiepatch
I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #275
Question 6: 🟩