SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #27 - 21/06/2023

Question 1: Why is the ancient city of Pompeii so well-preserved?

Pompeii was buried by volcanic ash and pumice from the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD. The layers of ash effectively sealed the city, preserving buildings, artifacts, and the remains of its inhabitants for over a millennium.

Question 2: How long does it take for light from the Sun to reach Earth?

The distance between the Sun and Earth is approximately 93 million miles (150 million kilometers). Light travels at a speed of 299,792 kilometers per second, so it takes around 8 minutes and 20 seconds for sunlight to reach Earth.

Question 3: What is the basic structural and functional unit of living organisms?

There are two main types of cells: prokaryotic and eukaryotic. The scientific study of cells is called cytology.

Question 4: When does the Indian Ocean Dipole typically have the strongest impact on Australian weather?

The Indian Ocean Dipole (IOD) influences Australian weather patterns most significantly during the spring months. The IOD is an irregular oscillation of sea-surface temperatures between the eastern and western Indian Ocean, usually affecting Australia's rainfall, temperature, and storm activity.

Question 5: If you were attending a traditional Japanese tea ceremony, what type of tea would typically be served?

Matcha is a finely ground, bright green powdered Japanese green tea used in the traditional Japanese tea ceremony. It comes from the same tea plant as other green teas but is prepared and consumed in a unique way.

Question 6: How many Australians died during WWI?

The First World War exacted a heavy toll on Australia, with around 62,000 deaths and a further 156,000 men being injured or taken prisoner. This took place between the years of 1914 and 1918.

Question 7: Where did the potato plant originate?

The potato plant is native to the Andes mountain region in South America, particularly in modern-day Peru and Bolivia. Potatoes were domesticated approximately 7,000 to 10,000 years ago.

Question 8: Why do we have wisdom teeth?

Wisdom teeth, also known as third molars, were useful for our ancestors who had a diet that consisted of tougher, uncooked food which required more chewing. As our diet and jaw structure evolved, wisdom teeth became less necessary and can often cause dental issues today.

Question 9: When a substance changes from a solid to a gas without passing through the liquid phase, what is this process called?

Sublimation can occur under certain temperature and pressure conditions. Famous examples of substances that can go through sublimation are dry ice (solid carbon dioxide) and naphthalene (mothballs).

Question 10: What is the force that holds atomic nuclei together?

The strong nuclear force also known as the strong force or strong interaction, is one of the four fundamental forces of nature. It is about 100 times stronger than the electromagnetic force, yet acts at very short range, typically only within atomic nuclei.

You got answers correct

I got 9 out of 10 (90%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #27
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟥
Question 10: 🟩

Better score than yesterday , Q4 was a complete guess

Our ancestors needed wisdom teeth to eat the food available back then . And this folks is true evolution, it's the same with our bone structure, our bones structure was different due to the work we had to do without the machinery we have today .
Not because we come from Apes !

Reactions: Monmc
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟥

I got 10/10…found the science based questions easy…some were just go with your instincts…

I started off so well today with the first 3 correct then I got the next 3 wrong then the last 4 right so the same as yesterday 70%. I do far better on the chase for the younger generation know nothing of before they were born whereas my age group learnt a lot of general knowledge. I even credit the lessons, in general, knowledge the school provided plus learning a lot of things by rote.

Can someone please enlighten me as to how you are able to get the coloured boxes - green and red when you post your score for the day?? No matter what I do I just do not seem to be able to post it!!
Thanking someone in advance for their help

I got 40% today.
I'm learning more day by day.
I'd never heard of the Indian Ocean dipole.

Question 4: 🟥

I should have had Q4 right as well - i put winter - and according to the bureau of meterology the dipole affects Australian weather the most mainly in the WINTER-SPRING period. So technically i was right. lucky i listen to the weather at night and hear the explanations of different weather related things coz i thought it was right when i was wrong so i looked it up at the end and yep technically right.

Question 9: 🟥

Better score than yesterday , Q4 was a complete guess

Our ancestors needed wisdom teeth to eat the food available back then . And this folks is true evolution, it's the same with our bone structure, our bones structure was different due to the work we had to do without the machinery we have today .
Not because we come from Apes !
Well said, Suzanne Rose👏👏👏

There's some smart cookies out there, and unfortunately I'm not one of them. 5/10 again today, but I'll keep trying

Can someone please enlighten me as to how you are able to get the coloured boxes - green and red when you post your score for the day?? No matter what I do I just do not seem to be able to post it!!
Thanking someone in advance for their help
I'd like to know the answer to that too

Question 7: 🟥
Bullwinkle where you write your reply just press ctrl+v at the same time and presto the chart will appear