SDC_Bot

Staff member
Jan 21, 2022
SDC Trivia Game #169 - 11/11/2023

Question 1: If a star is a "red giant," what does it mean about the star's life cycle?

A red giant is a star that has used up the hydrogen in its core and has begun to cool and expand, a process indicative of nearing the end of its life cycle. This is an intermediate stage in a star's evolution and will eventually lead to the star shedding its outer layers, and its core becoming a white dwarf.

Question 2: How was the Roman city of Pompeii destroyed?

The eruption of Mount Vesuvius in AD 79 buried the Roman city of Pompeii under layers of volcanic ash, preserving it for centuries until its rediscovery.

Question 3: What is the name of the fictional city where the Batman series is set?

Gotham City is the home of Batman, a superhero created by artist Bob Kane and writer Bill Finger, first appearing in Detective Comics #27 in 1939. The city is known for its dark, gritty atmosphere and high crime rate, making it one of the most iconic settings in comic books.

Question 4: Why is the green jacket significant in golf?

The green jacket is a tradition of the Masters Tournament in Augusta, Georgia. It is awarded to the winner each year, and is intended to symbolize membership into an exclusive club.

Question 5: When was the Clean Air Act, a United States federal law designed to control air pollution, first enacted?

The Clean Air Act, a United States federal law designed to control and reduce air pollution, was first enacted in 1963. Significant amendments were made in subsequent years, notably in 1970 and 1990, which expanded the Act's regulatory scope.

Question 6: What Broadway musical features the song 'Defying Gravity'?

'Defying Gravity' is one of the standout songs from the hit Broadway musical, "Wicked", which offers an alternative perspective on the characters and events of "The Wizard of Oz". It is sung by the character Elphaba, who later becomes the Wicked Witch of the West.

Question 7: The term "cogito, ergo sum" is most associated with which philosopher?

"Cogito, ergo sum" is a Latin philosophical proposition by René Descartes usually translated into English as "I think, therefore I am". Descartes uses this statement to demonstrate the indubitable existence of the self.

Question 8: Where is the world's largest particle collider located?

The world's largest particle collider, the Large Hadron Collider, is located at CERN, near Geneva, Switzerland. This massive machine was instrumental in the discovery of the Higgs boson, often referred to as the "God Particle."

Question 9: What is the national flower of Wales?

The daffodil is synonymous with Wales, often worn on St David's Day, the patron saint of Wales. Confusingly, the leek is also a national emblem of Wales, but the daffodil has gained more modern prominence in part due to its visual appeal.

Question 10: Who directed the iconic 1980 "The Shining" movie?

"The Shining," directed by Stanley Kubrick, is a classic horror film based on the novel of the same name by Stephen King. Despite its initial mixed reviews, it is now widely regarded as one of the greatest and most influential horror films ever made.

You got answers correct

SDC Trivia Game #169 - 11/11/2023

Question 1: If a star is a "red giant," what does it mean about the star's life cycle?

A red giant is a star that has used up the hydrogen in its core and has begun to cool and expand, a process indicative of nearing the end of its life cycle. This is an intermediate stage in a star's evolution and will eventually lead to the star shedding its outer layers, and its core becoming a white dwarf.

Question 2: How was the Roman city of Pompeii destroyed?

The eruption of Mount Vesuvius in AD 79 buried the Roman city of Pompeii under layers of volcanic ash, preserving it for centuries until its rediscovery.

Question 3: What is the name of the fictional city where the Batman series is set?

Gotham City is the home of Batman, a superhero created by artist Bob Kane and writer Bill Finger, first appearing in Detective Comics #27 in 1939. The city is known for its dark, gritty atmosphere and high crime rate, making it one of the most iconic settings in comic books.

Question 4: Why is the green jacket significant in golf?

The green jacket is a tradition of the Masters Tournament in Augusta, Georgia. It is awarded to the winner each year, and is intended to symbolize membership into an exclusive club.

Question 5: When was the Clean Air Act, a United States federal law designed to control air pollution, first enacted?

The Clean Air Act, a United States federal law designed to control and reduce air pollution, was first enacted in 1963. Significant amendments were made in subsequent years, notably in 1970 and 1990, which expanded the Act's regulatory scope.

Question 6: What Broadway musical features the song 'Defying Gravity'?

'Defying Gravity' is one of the standout songs from the hit Broadway musical, "Wicked", which offers an alternative perspective on the characters and events of "The Wizard of Oz". It is sung by the character Elphaba, who later becomes the Wicked Witch of the West.

Question 7: The term "cogito, ergo sum" is most associated with which philosopher?

"Cogito, ergo sum" is a Latin philosophical proposition by René Descartes usually translated into English as "I think, therefore I am". Descartes uses this statement to demonstrate the indubitable existence of the self.

Question 8: Where is the world's largest particle collider located?

The world's largest particle collider, the Large Hadron Collider, is located at CERN, near Geneva, Switzerland. This massive machine was instrumental in the discovery of the Higgs boson, often referred to as the "God Particle."

Question 9: What is the national flower of Wales?

The daffodil is synonymous with Wales, often worn on St David's Day, the patron saint of Wales. Confusingly, the leek is also a national emblem of Wales, but the daffodil has gained more modern prominence in part due to its visual appeal.

Question 10: Who directed the iconic 1980 "The Shining" movie?

"The Shining," directed by Stanley Kubrick, is a classic horror film based on the novel of the same name by Stephen King. Despite its initial mixed reviews, it is now widely regarded as one of the greatest and most influential horror films ever made.

You got answers correct
10x10 Today, however I'm sure ther's a few repeat questions. (More repeats of repeats unfotunately I feel unless I'm becoming an old tourist?)

I got 8 out of 10 (80%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #169
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟩
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟩
Question 5: 🟩
Question 6: 🟥
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟩
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟥

10 out of 10….many repeated questions, yet again!!
Enough of the American questions, surely we can have at least one day of questions with out anything to do with America!!
Math, science, physics, biology, chemistry, arts and literature just a few of my favourites…lots of questions there!!

Reactions: Veggiepatch
I got 5 out of 10 (50%) answers correct on SDC Trivia Game #169
Question 1: 🟩
Question 2: 🟥
Question 3: 🟩
Question 4: 🟥
Question 5: 🟥
Question 6: 🟩
Question 7: 🟩
Question 8: 🟥
Question 9: 🟩
Question 10: 🟥