SDC is grateful for… in 2022, what are you grateful for?

The year is coming to an end and it has us feeling a bit sappy and reflective. Whether 2022 was kind to you or a year of overcoming struggles, there is one thing we’d like you to do.

Bear with us because this is inspired by Thanksgiving and while it’s not something we celebrate here in Australia, we think the sentiment of thankfulness and gratitude is beautiful.

The SDC team have taken a moment to look back and this is what they’re thankful for in 2022.

Members, we would absolutely love to hear from you too.

Screen Shot 2022-12-12 at 10.23.54 am (1).png
Take some time to reflect on what you're most grateful for in 2022. Image Credit: Shutterstock

Maddie
Gosh, it is so hard to sit here and try to find a single answer to this question. I am thankful for so much in 2022! It’s been an incredible year, exhausting I will admit, but incredible. I think I’m the most grateful for two things, and that’s for the people in my life and the opportunities that have come my way. I have made an active effort this year to be really conscious of how I feel when I’m with certain people.

I am so grateful that the people I am spending most of my time with always make me feel energised and happy. Jon and I have managed to build a team filled with such dedicated, inspiring, hardworking, generous, and friendly people and I feel really grateful for having the opportunity to create the team that we have. We spend a lot of our lives working together, so to be able to work with people that I know make a really huge impact on my overall happiness and well-being makes me really treasure what we have built.

My family, my gorgeous partner, and my beautiful friends are also some people I am very grateful for having in my life. They have supported me through the good times and bad and I know they’ll always be there for me and I think that’s something to be very grateful for.

Jonathan
Wow, it’s December already! This year has gone by so quickly, and I’m grateful for so much.

I’m grateful for the continued growth of the SDC and the support of my family and friends. It’s been a difficult year (or, rather, a few years) financially for many of us, but the support of my loved ones has been invaluable in helping me make it through.

I’m grateful for the time I’ve been able to spend with my loved ones, and I’m thankful for their health.

I’m thankful that I live in Australia, and for the beauty of nature that surrounds me. I’m also thankful for the ability to travel again, and for my partner’s family in Bristol being so open and welcoming.

Finally, I’m thankful for the little moments of joy that this year has still given us. From virtual happy hours with friends to unexpected moments of kindness, it’s been a reminder that even in challenging times, there is still plenty to be grateful for.

Vella
My my, what a year 2022 has been! It has been a year of so many wonderful things for which I’m so grateful.

First and foremost, I’m grateful for the gift of life. Despite the pandemic and the many other challenges we faced, I am thankful that my family and I have been healthy and free from illnesses. Health and safety have been top of mind this year, and I plan to continue to prioritise them in the year ahead.

I’m also incredibly grateful for my family, friends, and, most especially, my partner, CJ. They have been my source of strength and comfort throughout this year, and I’m so grateful to have them in my life.

Of course, my SDC family is another thing I’m incredibly grateful for. They’re among the most generous, friendly, and inspiring teams I’ve ever been blessed to be a part of, and I’m so thankful for the opportunity to learn and grow with them.

Finally, I’m thankful for the opportunities to travel and explore new places this year. These little adventures were extra special because my partner was able to join me. I can’t express how truly grateful I am for the memories we made together.

So, thank you, 2022. You’ve been an amazing year! Here’s to a brighter year ahead!

Sethia
Goodness, where do I even start? This year felt like a rollercoaster of emotions to me - and I’m grateful for my friends, family, and pets who helped me get back up on my own feet. I went through a rough break-up but found friends who showed me what real love was. I was welcomed by the SDC family with open arms, and I’m gradually picking up the pieces again after feeling broken for months!

It may not seem like an actual achievement but I am thankful that I am doing okay now. Even if your world feels like it has been shattered, days do get better and you’re definitely not at the end of your story yet. Here’s to ending the year with tons of growth and my chin up.

Sean
This year has been full of challenges and stress, but it's also been a time for me to really appreciate the people and things that are important to me.

I'm grateful for my family, who have been my rock during this tough time. They've always been there for me, no matter what, and I know I can always count on them.

I'm also grateful for the friends who have stuck by me – even though I may not have always been there for them. They've shown me that they care, and that means more to me than they could ever know.

And finally, I'm thankful for myself – for learning how to put myself first and take care of myself. This year has taught me that I need to prioritise my own happiness and well-being above anything else. And I'm determined to carry this lesson into the new year.

James
Needless to say, this year wasn't easy for everyone. Still, I'm thankful to have come out of it stronger, better, and more resilient, and to have done so with the people I care about the most.

This year, I am thankful for the love and stability of my family, especially my mum. They have been there for me from the start, and I am comforted knowing that they are still in my life. Of course, this gratitude also extends to my dogs, who have brought us so much happiness (as well as the occasional headaches) over the years.

I am also thankful for my friends, both old and new. I've done a lot of things in the past several months that were way out of my comfort zone, and I'm lucky I've met some really wonderful people along the way. Some friends and I also fell out of touch, but I know that it's not too late to start talking again, so here's to hoping that 2023 will be the year that I can mend those bridges.

Last but not least, I'm thankful for the people who make up the community here at the SDC. Everyone has been so kind and supportive, and I couldn't ask for a better group of people to spend my days with.

I'll be honest: I've always found change to be a scary thing. But this year and these people have taught me that it doesn't always have to be.

April
This year, I’m thankful for people. Admittedly, in the past, I’ve struggled with some pretty intense anxiety that caused me to isolate myself from the world. Luckily, that’s history now and I have some wonderful family and friends around me.

This year I also experienced the strongest sense of community I have ever seen as my Fairfield QLD neighbours helped me (and the entire community) clean up and get back on our feet post-February floods. The warmth and kindness of complete strangers when I was at my lowest was quite literally life-changing.

So when the world seems unkind and unforgiving, I’m thankful for those that reminded me of the good.

Jarred
This is a surprisingly hard question to answer!

I have many things to be grateful for this year, but I’d have to give the top spot to my family. I don’t want to go over all the details because I wouldn’t know where to start! I’ll just say they came through for me at a time when I needed support the most.

I have a tendency to withdraw from everything in rough times, so I would have understood if they took that as a sign to leave me alone. Thankfully, they didn’t.

Ally
It's been a rollercoaster of a year for me. Without going too much into detail, my whole life was turned upside down earlier this year, and yet I'm still here. So, at the risk of sounding like a narcissist, I'd like to thank myself for being brave. I urge everyone else to do the same and thank yourselves for being strong since we (most likely) don't give ourselves the credit we deserve. I'm also incredibly thankful for my family and friends for standing by me through thick and thin, and without fail for pushing me forward when I was too afraid to even take the first step. Lastly, I'd like to thank the SDC family for welcoming me! I'm having a blast working with everyone, and I hope everyone else feels the same 😄

If you stayed with us until the end, we just want to say how grateful we are for YOU. We’d love to hear from you in the comments – Happy Holidays!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-12 at 10.23.54 am (1).png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-12 at 10.23.54 am (1).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Sponsored
I am eternally grateful to SDC and the community and the connections they have made possible.

I purposely shut myself off from the world approximately six years ago as I was too scared to face it. The reasons don't matter, but by year four I was incredibly isolated and had lost the art of joining in. Then SDC came into my life via my laptop and I was set. I could be a part of something and yet still stay private, only giving out what I was comfortable with. No-one asked awkward questions, just accepted me for me, there was no judgement. You have no idea how liberating that has been.

I'm thinking of rejoining the world next year, I know it's going to be scary but I realise it's something I have to do. The SDC has given me the confidence to make this happen, baby steps at first but hopefully by this time next year I will be fully integrated! :)

I felt 2022 was about trying to avoid covid again, even though we're supposed to just carry on.
Thankfully, I have avoided it.
Truly grateful for the daily newsletters, as there's always a variety of topics that suits everybody.
Here's to 2023!🌻

Firstly, thank you for being here for all of us.

I am grateful for all of my amazing friends. Earlier this year was quite traumatic, and friends helped me to first evacuate and then to begin anew from such amazing temporary accommodation. I am grateful for the amazing gift of life that we all have.
I am grateful for my health and for my ongoing ability to find humour in everything, even during the most troubling of times. I am very Grateful indeed that this year is soon ending.
I am grateful that my vehicle made it through redgo, and that I had put so many things away in my goonellabah storage shed, prior to the floods.
Iam grateful to be living in a country that is not at war and grateful for my she'll be right and get up and get right back into it, everyday Australian attitude.

At 75, I am grateful for simply being alive and for still having the energy to do most things; some of my own friends didn't have the same privilege. I'm grateful for having the family I have even though at times I look for that elusive perfection; but when I stop and look around, I am truly grateful for what I have! I am grateful for what I have and for the ability to donate what I can in order to make some small difference for others! I'm grateful for my steadfast faith and for standing my ground even when challenged by non believers. I am grateful for having survived another challenging year and for a positive mind to still believe in humanity, kindness, giving, hope and the will to face what challenges the new year might bring! Blessings to everyone!

I am grateful for the wonderful mother that I had. We had such great times and lots of laughs with each other. She passed away in July and has left me with so many memories that I know that she will be with me forever.
I am grateful also for my loving husband who has been my support throughout this difficult year.
Hoping everyone has a bright and happy 2023.

I am eternally grateful to SDC and the community and the connections they have made possible.

I purposely shut myself off from the world approximately six years ago as I was too scared to face it. The reasons don't matter, but by year four I was incredibly isolated and had lost the art of joining in. Then SDC came into my life via my laptop and I was set. I could be a part of something and yet still stay private, only giving out what I was comfortable with. No-one asked awkward questions, just accepted me for me, there was no judgement. You have no idea how liberating that has been.

I'm thinking of rejoining the world next year, I know it's going to be scary but I realise it's something I have to do. The SDC has given me the confidence to make this happen, baby steps at first but hopefully by this time next year I will be fully integrated! :)
Ricci, I am glad you have thought about re-joining the world in 2023. It is always scary to venture out when you are lacking in courage for whatever reason, I know. As a young child born in 1937 before the war I had to endure things that no child should & that has coloured my thinking for most of my life. I had PTS for all of my life until I was 37 when it disappeared (luckily) this was after we had a German plane that had overshot London shooting up the school & causing a lot of devastation. Luckily the kids were all in the air raid shelter but when we came out our dear little village school was full of bullet holes which upset all the kids, especially me. All my problems started that day as I was very sensitive anyway. Thankfully my family & doctors were happy to treat me kindly & apart from the odd hiccup I was able to cope until I had a boyfriend who was cruel to animals. This caused my body to trick me into thinking I had appendicitis. After the op which showed no infection at all, I was seen by my first psychiatrist when I was 18 & she reckoned my problems all stemmed from that day at school. Luckily I met & married my first husband just after that visit to the psychiatrist & several years later we came to Australia where I was able to get on with my life without too many reminders of the war. The thing now is that I am so self-contained that I welcomed lockdowns as a time I didn't have to be bothered by anyone. I still live like that & will never change. Although I love my family (I have a son & a daughter & assorted others attached to them). My son lives in Cairns so I don't get to see him often & my daughter lives in NSW. So the same applies to her. My perfect solution as I live in Brisbane! I have no husband now thank goodness.

I am grateful for recovering my health a year after an adverse reaction to the Covid vaccine.
The last few years have been very blessed for me. I see my grandchildren often, and my dogs every day. I thank God every day for them, and for living in Australia too.
I enjoy reading SDC emails and books from my local library.
I'm grateful every morning that I don't have to go to work any more, even after a year of staying home, and am finding retirement restful and pleasant.

My mother always said, " Be grateful that you were born in this country, in this century" and I am. But I too am grateful for family and friends, where would you be without them.

Reactions: Ricci and PattiB
The year is coming to an end and it has us feeling a bit sappy and reflective. Whether 2022 was kind to you or a year of overcoming struggles, there is one thing we’d like you to do.

Bear with us because this is inspired by Thanksgiving and while it’s not something we celebrate here in Australia, we think the sentiment of thankfulness and gratitude is beautiful.

The SDC team have taken a moment to look back and this is what they’re thankful for in 2022.

Members, we would absolutely love to hear from you too.

View attachment 10289
Take some time to reflect on what you're most grateful for in 2022. Image Credit: Shutterstock

Maddie
Gosh, it is so hard to sit here and try to find a single answer to this question. I am thankful for so much in 2022! It’s been an incredible year, exhausting I will admit, but incredible. I think I’m the most grateful for two things, and that’s for the people in my life and the opportunities that have come my way. I have made an active effort this year to be really conscious of how I feel when I’m with certain people.

I am so grateful that the people I am spending most of my time with always make me feel energised and happy. Jon and I have managed to build a team filled with such dedicated, inspiring, hardworking, generous, and friendly people and I feel really grateful for having the opportunity to create the team that we have. We spend a lot of our lives working together, so to be able to work with people that I know make a really huge impact on my overall happiness and well-being makes me really treasure what we have built.

My family, my gorgeous partner, and my beautiful friends are also some people I am very grateful for having in my life. They have supported me through the good times and bad and I know they’ll always be there for me and I think that’s something to be very grateful for.

Jonathan
Wow, it’s December already! This year has gone by so quickly, and I’m grateful for so much.

I’m grateful for the continued growth of the SDC and the support of my family and friends. It’s been a difficult year (or, rather, a few years) financially for many of us, but the support of my loved ones has been invaluable in helping me make it through.

I’m grateful for the time I’ve been able to spend with my loved ones, and I’m thankful for their health.

I’m thankful that I live in Australia, and for the beauty of nature that surrounds me. I’m also thankful for the ability to travel again, and for my partner’s family in Bristol being so open and welcoming.

Finally, I’m thankful for the little moments of joy that this year has still given us. From virtual happy hours with friends to unexpected moments of kindness, it’s been a reminder that even in challenging times, there is still plenty to be grateful for.

Vella
My my, what a year 2022 has been! It has been a year of so many wonderful things for which I’m so grateful.

First and foremost, I’m grateful for the gift of life. Despite the pandemic and the many other challenges we faced, I am thankful that my family and I have been healthy and free from illnesses. Health and safety have been top of mind this year, and I plan to continue to prioritise them in the year ahead.

I’m also incredibly grateful for my family, friends, and, most especially, my partner, CJ. They have been my source of strength and comfort throughout this year, and I’m so grateful to have them in my life.

Of course, my SDC family is another thing I’m incredibly grateful for. They’re among the most generous, friendly, and inspiring teams I’ve ever been blessed to be a part of, and I’m so thankful for the opportunity to learn and grow with them.

Finally, I’m thankful for the opportunities to travel and explore new places this year. These little adventures were extra special because my partner was able to join me. I can’t express how truly grateful I am for the memories we made together.

So, thank you, 2022. You’ve been an amazing year! Here’s to a brighter year ahead!

Sethia
Goodness, where do I even start? This year felt like a rollercoaster of emotions to me - and I’m grateful for my friends, family, and pets who helped me get back up on my own feet. I went through a rough break-up but found friends who showed me what real love was. I was welcomed by the SDC family with open arms, and I’m gradually picking up the pieces again after feeling broken for months!

It may not seem like an actual achievement but I am thankful that I am doing okay now. Even if your world feels like it has been shattered, days do get better and you’re definitely not at the end of your story yet. Here’s to ending the year with tons of growth and my chin up.

Sean
This year has been full of challenges and stress, but it's also been a time for me to really appreciate the people and things that are important to me.

I'm grateful for my family, who have been my rock during this tough time. They've always been there for me, no matter what, and I know I can always count on them.

I'm also grateful for the friends who have stuck by me – even though I may not have always been there for them. They've shown me that they care, and that means more to me than they could ever know.

And finally, I'm thankful for myself – for learning how to put myself first and take care of myself. This year has taught me that I need to prioritise my own happiness and well-being above anything else. And I'm determined to carry this lesson into the new year.

James
Needless to say, this year wasn't easy for everyone. Still, I'm thankful to have come out of it stronger, better, and more resilient, and to have done so with the people I care about the most.

This year, I am thankful for the love and stability of my family, especially my mum. They have been there for me from the start, and I am comforted knowing that they are still in my life. Of course, this gratitude also extends to my dogs, who have brought us so much happiness (as well as the occasional headaches) over the years.

I am also thankful for my friends, both old and new. I've done a lot of things in the past several months that were way out of my comfort zone, and I'm lucky I've met some really wonderful people along the way. Some friends and I also fell out of touch, but I know that it's not too late to start talking again, so here's to hoping that 2023 will be the year that I can mend those bridges.

Last but not least, I'm thankful for the people who make up the community here at the SDC. Everyone has been so kind and supportive, and I couldn't ask for a better group of people to spend my days with.

I'll be honest: I've always found change to be a scary thing. But this year and these people have taught me that it doesn't always have to be.

April
This year, I’m thankful for people. Admittedly, in the past, I’ve struggled with some pretty intense anxiety that caused me to isolate myself from the world. Luckily, that’s history now and I have some wonderful family and friends around me.

This year I also experienced the strongest sense of community I have ever seen as my Fairfield QLD neighbours helped me (and the entire community) clean up and get back on our feet post-February floods. The warmth and kindness of complete strangers when I was at my lowest was quite literally life-changing.

So when the world seems unkind and unforgiving, I’m thankful for those that reminded me of the good.

Jarred
This is a surprisingly hard question to answer!

I have many things to be grateful for this year, but I’d have to give the top spot to my family. I don’t want to go over all the details because I wouldn’t know where to start! I’ll just say they came through for me at a time when I needed support the most.

I have a tendency to withdraw from everything in rough times, so I would have understood if they took that as a sign to leave me alone. Thankfully, they didn’t.

Ally
It's been a rollercoaster of a year for me. Without going too much into detail, my whole life was turned upside down earlier this year, and yet I'm still here. So, at the risk of sounding like a narcissist, I'd like to thank myself for being brave. I urge everyone else to do the same and thank yourselves for being strong since we (most likely) don't give ourselves the credit we deserve. I'm also incredibly thankful for my family and friends for standing by me through thick and thin, and without fail for pushing me forward when I was too afraid to even take the first step. Lastly, I'd like to thank the SDC family for welcoming me! I'm having a blast working with everyone, and I hope everyone else feels the same 😄

If you stayed with us until the end, we just want to say how grateful we are for YOU. We’d love to hear from you in the comments – Happy Holidays!

Im so grateful to have an incredible husband & son as well as remarkable friend’s & extended family, I’m so happy that I was born in Australia. I can’t imagine living in a country where girls are denied an education, a career or to travel alone, or to drive a car. Australia isn’t perfect but we do have access to medical care and the right to practice our religion of choice. I also can’t image not being able to leave the house on my own, or be able to share my thoughts with all of you.
thankyou SDC team for giving us this platform to be able share. Maybe I spend too much time reading the news online but so grateful that I can and rant about it.

Reactions: Ricci
Ricci, I am glad you have thought about re-joining the world in 2023. It is always scary to venture out when you are lacking in courage for whatever reason, I know. As a young child born in 1937 before the war I had to endure things that no child should & that has coloured my thinking for most of my life. I had PTS for all of my life until I was 37 when it disappeared (luckily) this was after we had a German plane that had overshot London shooting up the school & causing a lot of devastation. Luckily the kids were all in the air raid shelter but when we came out our dear little village school was full of bullet holes which upset all the kids, especially me. All my problems started that day as I was very sensitive anyway. Thankfully my family & doctors were happy to treat me kindly & apart from the odd hiccup I was able to cope until I had a boyfriend who was cruel to animals. This caused my body to trick me into thinking I had appendicitis. After the op which showed no infection at all, I was seen by my first psychiatrist when I was 18 & she reckoned my problems all stemmed from that day at school. Luckily I met & married my first husband just after that visit to the psychiatrist & several years later we came to Australia where I was able to get on with my life without too many reminders of the war. The thing now is that I am so self-contained that I welcomed lockdowns as a time I didn't have to be bothered by anyone. I still live like that & will never change. Although I love my family (I have a son & a daughter & assorted others attached to them). My son lives in Cairns so I don't get to see him often & my daughter lives in NSW. So the same applies to her. My perfect solution as I live in Brisbane! I have no husband now thank goodness.
Wow, you have been through so much! I can’t imagine how hard it must’ve been to live through the war. My dad served in New Guinea but didn’t speak of it very much, and we in Tassie were isolated from a lot of what happened. So glad you’re doing okay now. 😊

Reactions: Ricci
I am incredibly grateful for the generosity of my parents’ financial gift via their will. It has enabled me to give up full time work and spend more time helping family by babysitting grandchildren and just being present for my furbabies 🐕🐕

I am grateful for this lovely community - to be a part of an exclusive group who are all ‘seniors’ whether we feel, look or act like them or not is quite special - lol!

Thank you for this community- J look forward to more stories, news, games, jokes and fun in the New Year.

Blessings to all 💖💖💖

Reactions: Penny4 and Ricci
My Husband of 63 years had a haemoragic stroke early november, I am so grateful he has pulled through and is recovering well, just some memory issues but we can live with that and laugh at some of the things he says. I am so grateful for my two children and Grandson who supported us through the weeks of stress and helped us so much. I am grateful for my home which is our safe peaceful place which we spend a lot of time in. I am so very grateful that my parents brought us to Australia from England in 1950, we have had such a good life here. I too lived through the bombing in the war. I am grateful for every day in our wonderful country. Thank you for all the work you put into the newsletter, I actually bought a lamp you told us about from Kmart. Thank you. Happy New Year to everyone.

What, are we now americans spewing our gratefullngness?
Please! Get Real!!!
I am, we are not american, and I am not grateful.
I have been enduring this life/existence for seven decades; with it's multitude of enduring hardships; including my abuse as a a child, the rejection of my parental units, the constant abuse I endured at the many schools I attended, the bastardry I endured in institutions,, including the ADF, the abuse I suffered as a male in a female dominated nursing profession, the rejection of the one soul with whom I vowed to life to, the rejection of our "family", the solitude, the physical disabilities acquired, this horrible life. The only reason I keep on going is the hope that one day my children will forgive me for turning their mother into a lesbian.
If anything, I could be appreciative for it would only for my ability to persevere.

This year is the same as last year, this day, this hour, this minute; it is all the same. As it has been for the past 18 years.
Don't wish me a "happy new year"'....... wish me a better one.
This life is a torment, which I am enduring.
Most of which I have spent a thankless life, in service to country and community; only to be left alone and wanting.
I have nothing to be grateful for.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to tell how sad and lonely I am, and how sad and lonely my life is.
I will wish you a better year, but really it's up to you.
You are the one person that can change your life. Maybe try to live a glass half full sort of life. If you want today to be different from last year then try to do something different. Go to a park with a good book, go to the beach or the countryside, enjoy nature and let its beauty and serenity into your heart. Join your local men's shed, sign up for a course in something that interests you, sign up to volunteer. It's not going to be easy, but anything worthwhile rarely is.
Be the change you want to see in your life and I'll wholeheartedly wish you an infinitely better 2023. :)

Reactions: PattiB
We have had a dreadful year but I am grateful that my immediate family is alive and we were able to spend the day together at Christmas. Like most people here I am grateful for the support of friends without whom life would be more difficult. Every day I thank my parents (both deceased now) for having the courage to leave their own country to come to Melbourne, arriving with nothing but debts to pay as they borrowed the money for fares. They dedicated their lives to us so that we could have all our needs and wants met. I am grateful to live in this wonderful country with its caring people and a great health system which even the poor can access. I wish all in this community a very happy and healthy New Year.

Reactions: PattiB and Ricci