Scratchy situation: Elderly man leaves his mark in car park incident

The golden years should be a time of relaxation and enjoyment, a period to revel in the wisdom and patience that comes with age.

However, a recent incident has left the Australian public stunned and has sparked a conversation about respect, frustration, and the consequences of our actions, no matter our age.

On a seemingly ordinary Sunday morning between 11:15 and 11:30 am at the Uni Hill shopping centre in Bundoora, Melbourne, an elderly man was caught on camera in a shocking display of vandalism.

The dashcam footage, which had since gained popularity on social media, showed the man—who walks with the aid of a cane and appears to have a limp—approaching a parked car.

Dressed in grey, he was seen brazenly using a key to scratch the paint off the passenger side of the vehicle, dragging it along as he goes.

photo (5).jpg
An elderly man was caught on camera keying another car. Credits: Facebook / Dash Cam Owners Australia

The man's actions, which he performed without so much as a glance around to check for onlookers, had left many Australians in shock, with social media users expressing their disbelief and disappointment.

'That’s disgusting! We work so hard for things. I can’t believe the lack of respect from an elderly person,' one woman exclaimed.

Another echoed the sentiment, saying, 'Wow. Why do people feel the need to do this? Blows my mind.'

‘That's unreal! It's bad enough that anyone does that, but to get to that age in life, and still be so immature is just something else!’ one said.

‘Karma will catch him,’ another commented.

Numerous individuals expressed the view that while damaging someone else's vehicle through ‘keying’ is unacceptable, the elderly man might have felt frustrated by the misuse of a mobility bay designated for individuals with accessibility needs.

‘This looks like an example of someone parked in a mobility park, and someone thinks he needed it more,’ one woman said.

‘He shouldn't be keying cars, but are you parked in a parking spot or clearway?’ a second asked.

‘Definitely a case of no-one parks in my spot,’ a third concluded.

While the definite reason for the act was not yet confirmed, as mentioned by some, problems like this often stem from disrespecting the disability mobility bay reserved for people who need it most.

Last year, an incident involving a senior citizen highlighted this concern about the disabled parking spots.
Key Takeaways

• An elderly man was captured on dashcam footage vandalising a parked car by keying it in the Uni Hill shopping centre car park in Bundoora, Melbourne.
  • The video, showing the man keying the car without any hesitation, had gained popularity on social media, shocking many users.
  • Social media users expressed disgust at the act and debated whether the car was parked improperly, such as in a spot reserved for those with mobility issues.
What do you think was the reason behind the act? Could it be justified? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
I have often thought I'd like to do that to people who think they are so important that they park in disabled areas illegally! Especially big SUV s! Those parks are rare enough and my closest Woolies recently deleted 2 of the 4 outside the supermarket! Not happy Jan! Pram parks can be nore available, I understand reason for them but after all most parents have 2 good legs, healthy lungs and wrangling your kids is the same wherever you park. I know, I had 5 of them, and no special parks.

I have often thought I'd like to do that to people who think they are so important that they park in disabled areas illegally! Especially big SUV s! Those parks are rare enough and my closest Woolies recently deleted 2 of the 4 outside the supermarket! Not happy Jan! Pram parks can be nore available, I understand reason for them but after all most parents have 2 good legs, healthy lungs and wrangling your kids is the same wherever you park. I know, I had 5 of them, and no special parks.
I completely understand, @KaraJenna :LOL:

If you see someone parked illegally in a disabled, senior citizen or other similar paking bay, take a picture and send it to crime stoppers.

But don't do criminal damage to their vehicle.

For one, paking infringement is not a crime, but what this guy did is and it sets a terrible example to kids.

For another thing, do you know if the person who parked their was ill, injured or otherwise in desperate need to address a crisis?

NO you don't!

That's what we have police for, to investigate and act on the evidence... not just our assumptions.

I completely understand, @KaraJenna :LOL:
Can I ask, KaraJenna, what you have against “big SUV’s”? That maybe the only car someone owns, it maybe a tradie’s only car and that is not your business. A car, big SUV or small Mini, parked fully & squarely within the bay is all that matters.

I agree that anyone without a disability or child in a pram should never park in one of those designated spots without the legal card displayed. I have seen many a car parked in these spots (without card displayed or child in a pram), and have also seen ‘big SUVs’ parked in spots that don’t comply with the requirements, many small cars parked incorrectly, to one side of the bay or over the line on one side or another so it is not ‘especially big SUVs’ as you say.

What the man in this story did was, undoubtedly, not acceptable.

Last edited:
Reactions: PattiB and Greg350
damage to any property, regardless of vehicle or other, is irrisponsible, offenders are quick to cry "foul pley" if they are the victim.

Reactions: Ezzy
I believe he has already answered the question why to police. He said he is depressed. They are charging him Nothing to do with being parked illegally, although sadly at the wrong place at the wrong time

If you see someone parked illegally in a disabled, senior citizen or other similar paking bay, take a picture and send it to crime stoppers.

But don't do criminal damage to their vehicle.

For one, paking infringement is not a crime, but what this guy did is and it sets a terrible example to kids.

For another thing, do you know if the person who parked their was ill, injured or otherwise in desperate need to address a crisis?

NO you don't!

That's what we have police for, to investigate and act on the evidence... not just our assumptions.
When I encountered someone parked in a disabled bay with no acrod sticker I rang ACROD and was told by them that it is the shopping centres responsibility to fine these people. When contacting centre management they did nothing.

Reactions: Ezzy
deliberately damaging another person’s property is a crime and people should be treated appropriately ie court case and consequences. Report to police or crime stoppers don’t personally retaliate