Score Quality Groceries for Only 99 Cents at Fresh and Save - But There's a Catch!

Let's face it - groceries can be expensive. From fresh produce to pantry staples, the cost of food can quickly add up and take up a lot of our weekly budget.

That's why many of us are always on the lookout for ways to save money when shopping for groceries. Whether it's scoring markdowns, buying in bulk, or growing your own food, there are plenty of strategies for cutting costs.

However, scoring a good deal doesn't have to mean sacrificing quality or nutrition. With a little planning and know-how, it's possible to save money without skimping on the essentials.

One of our go-to strategies for scoring quality groceries at budget-friendly prices is shopping at discount stores.

When it comes to shopping at discount stores, many people may feel apprehensive about the quality of the food on offer. However, with the increasing popularity of discount stores and the demand for affordable, quality groceries, many stores are now stocking a wide variety of fresh produce and pantry staples that rival those found in traditional grocery stores.

pexels-photo-3962287.jpeg

Many people choose to shop at discount stores to score quality groceries at affordable prices. Credit: Pexels/Anna Shvets.

In fact, many discount stores work with local farmers and suppliers to source their produce and products, meaning you can find fresh, locally-grown produce at a fraction of the cost.

Some stores even offer organic and specialty items at prices that are hard to beat.

One of the discount retailers that is growing in popularity among shoppers is Fresh and Save.

One savvy shopper took to social media to show off the product available at her local Fresh and Save store — all of which are priced at 99 cents per pack.

‘Gotta love Fresh and Save $1 specials everywhere! Feels good to save!’ the customer wrote in a post on the Markdown Addicts Australia Facebook group.

One of the photos shared by the shopper showed a cart full of groceries — which included bread, eggs, cooking oil, cleaning products, snacks, multiple vegetables, and canned goods — all of which only cost her $96. What a steal!

330765439_1291100708469749_6103521102468754032_n.jpg
The shopper revealed that her haul only cost her $96. Credit: Mark Down Addicts Australia/Facebook.

However, there’s a catch — the retailer only operates in limited locations in Queensland.

You read that right, folks. This ‘heartbreaking’ fact has devastated many shoppers who were hoping to score groceries at affordable prices.

One user wrote: ‘We need this in Adelaide!’

‘Where is that in Brisbane?’ Another asked.

A third chimed in: ‘Nothing in Perth either.’

The post also opened a discussion about how Australian retailers should adopt the ‘coupon system’ that was popularised by American stores.

One person suggested: ‘Australia needs to bring in the coupons scheme like the US. People spend thousands over there and only pay for a fraction of anything at the checkout after the coupons are applied.’

331413118_1376004113200933_5090571172854260125_n.jpg
Photos shared by the shopper show the products being sold at 99 cents each. Credit: Mark Down Addicts Australia/Facebook.

While some users agreed to this sentiment, some group members disagreed with the suggestion.

‘The coupons are a lot of work, like hours of cutting and organising so you remember what to use and where,’ one user explained.

‘They actually stop a lot of people from accessing the store's normal specials but they still make the store look good because they offer it.’

However, another commenter argued that retailers should do their best to help those who are struggling to make ends meet.

The users said: ‘I do agree but it would help even just a little for those less fortunate and or who are struggling.’

‘Even if it’s just enough for a fortnight.’

Regardless, many customers who tried shopping at Fresh and Save vouched for the savings one can make when doing their groceries at the discount retailer.

One comment read: ‘It's awesome and so much cheaper! Used to go to Maryborough for it but now it's in Hervey Bay.’

‘We have one a few minutes away in Deagon. We’ve been once this week & will probably go again to make the most of the specials,’ another shared.

A third added: ‘We often bulk up on the snags and chicken legs when they have their 99-cent and $2 specials.’

However, not everyone who has shopped there has had a great experience.

‘Definitely the word fresh isn't the best about that place. I went for the first time the other day and got a pork rib steak and my husband went to take it out today to cut it up & the smell was horrendous!’ one woman wrote.

Another recalled: ‘I have been there twice and can honestly say they are more expensive than Woolies and Coles besides a few specials on the way in.’

Key Takeaways
  • It is possible to save money while shopping for groceries without sacrificing quality or nutrition.
  • Discount stores like Fresh and Save offer quality groceries at budget-friendly prices.
  • Fresh and Save operates in limited locations in Queensland and has been gaining popularity with shoppers.
  • While some have had positive experiences, not everyone who has shopped at Fresh and Save has had a great experience.

Members, while Fresh and Save might not be available in your local area, you can still manage to get great deals by checking your local supermarkets' clearance sections and by watching out for items that are on sale or that have a best-before date that are close.

Make sure you check the best-before date of the items before buying them and using them for your meals. This will allow you to get the most out of your grocery budget and stretch your shopping dollar.

Have you ever been able to save big by shopping at discount stores? Share your experience in the comments! And, importantly, what tips do you have for getting quality produce without breaking the bank?

Sponsored
Let's face it - groceries can be expensive. From fresh produce to pantry staples, the cost of food can quickly add up and take up a lot of our weekly budget.

That's why many of us are always on the lookout for ways to save money when shopping for groceries. Whether it's scoring markdowns, buying in bulk, or growing your own food, there are plenty of strategies for cutting costs.

However, scoring a good deal doesn't have to mean sacrificing quality or nutrition. With a little planning and know-how, it's possible to save money without skimping on the essentials.

One of our go-to strategies for scoring quality groceries at budget-friendly prices is shopping at discount stores.

When it comes to shopping at discount stores, many people may feel apprehensive about the quality of the food on offer. However, with the increasing popularity of discount stores and the demand for affordable, quality groceries, many stores are now stocking a wide variety of fresh produce and pantry staples that rival those found in traditional grocery stores.

Many people choose to shop at discount stores to score quality groceries at affordable prices. Credit: Pexels/Anna Shvets.

In fact, many discount stores work with local farmers and suppliers to source their produce and products, meaning you can find fresh, locally-grown produce at a fraction of the cost.

Some stores even offer organic and specialty items at prices that are hard to beat.

One of the discount retailers that is growing in popularity among shoppers is Fresh and Save.

One savvy shopper took to social media to show off the product available at her local Fresh and Save store — all of which are priced at 99 cents per pack.

‘Gotta love Fresh and Save $1 specials everywhere! Feels good to save!’ the customer wrote in a post on the Markdown Addicts Australia Facebook group.

One of the photos shared by the shopper showed a cart full of groceries — which included bread, eggs, cooking oil, cleaning products, snacks, multiple vegetables, and canned goods — all of which only cost her $96. What a steal!

View attachment 14396
The shopper revealed that her haul only cost her $96. Credit: Mark Down Addicts Australia/Facebook.

However, there’s a catch — the retailer only operates in limited locations in Queensland.

You read that right, folks. This ‘heartbreaking’ fact has devastated many shoppers who were hoping to score groceries at affordable prices.

The post also opened a discussion about how Australian retailers should adopt the ‘coupon system’ that was popularised by American stores.

One person suggested: ‘Australia needs to bring in the coupons scheme like the US. People spend thousands over there and only pay for a fraction of anything at the checkout after the coupons are applied.’

View attachment 14397
Photos shared by the shopper show the products being sold at 99 cents each. Credit: Mark Down Addicts Australia/Facebook.

While some users agreed to this sentiment, some group members disagreed with the suggestion.

‘The coupons are a lot of work, like hours of cutting and organising so you remember what to use and where,’ one user explained.

‘They actually stop a lot of people from accessing the store's normal specials but they still make the store look good because they offer it.’

However, another commenter argued that retailers should do their best to help those who are struggling to make ends meet.

The users said: ‘I do agree but it would help even just a little for those less fortunate and or who are struggling.’

Regardless, many customers who tried shopping at Fresh and Save vouched for the savings one can make when doing their groceries at the discount retailer.

One comment read: ‘It's awesome and so much cheaper! Used to go to Maryborough for it but now it's in Hervey Bay.’

‘We have one a few minutes away in Deagon. We’ve been once this week & will probably go again to make the most of the specials,’ another shared.

A third added: ‘We often bulk up on the snags and chicken legs when they have their 99-cent and $2 specials.’

‘Definitely the word fresh isn't the best about that place. I went for the first time the other day and got a pork rib steak and my husband went to take it out today to cut it up & the smell was horrendous!’ one woman wrote.

Another recalled: ‘I have been there twice and can honestly say they are more expensive than Woolies and Coles besides a few specials on the way in.’

Key Takeaways

• It is possible to save money while shopping for groceries without sacrificing quality or nutrition.
  • Discount stores like Fresh and Save offer quality groceries at budget-friendly prices.
  • Fresh and Save operates in limited locations in Queensland and has been gaining popularity with shoppers.
  • While some have had positive experiences, not everyone who has shopped at Fresh and Save has had a great experience.

Members, while Fresh and Save might not be available in your local area, you can still manage to get great deals by checking your local supermarkets' clearance sections and by watching out for items that are on sale or that have a best-before date that are close.

Make sure you check the best-before date of the items before buying them and using them for your meals. This will allow you to get the most out of your grocery budget and stretch your shopping dollar.

Have you ever been able to save big by shopping at discount stores? Share your experience in the comments! And, importantly, what tips do you have for getting quality produce without breaking the bank?
Best Store Ever For Saving .Love It

We use NQR about once a month for some great savings on pantry staples. We’re in Victoria, but I don’t know if it’s in other states.

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 14396

View attachment 14397

Key Takeaways

Waste of reading time living in country Vic, oh well, well done to this shopper!

I've used the Fresh & Save in Hervey Bay, too, when I've been in the area. They do have the occasional loss-leader, and occasionally have decent meat, but overall I think you'll do better at Aldi.

Reactions: Penny4
Waste of reading time living in country Vic, oh well, well done to this shopper!
I totally agree, I also live in rural Victoria and the big conglomerate supermarkets have you on a tight rein, no choice other than them really, one is 25km away the other 50kms but I wouldn't live in the big city for anything, so sadly just cop it

My daughters have been going to Costco which is amazing but the only problem everything comes in bulk but the girls either bulk up themselves or share .

If you need a special birthday cake then they sell huge cakes , everything from black forest, vanilla, chocolate ect $35

My husband visited his uncle in Pittsburgh USA and was amazed how each day he would cut out coupons and how much he saved when he went to the shop with his coupons.
I would love for our shops to start coupons

I have been injured for a time (now in semi-full recovery) and on an extremely low budget for years, so I have many money saving tips. I.E Wrap your vegetables' (like Lettuce) in aluminum foil, it makes them last longer.
Get a bottle of apple cider vinegar for about $2.00 and pour into a large container add boiled water and honey and then re-distribute them into bottles for an extremely delicious, great for the metabolism inexpensive drink.
lots of meal tricks: IE, braise onions then add Aldi fresh fish then cook down add Romano pasta bake then when almost done pour in rice bubbles to soak up fluid and to increase consistency (Rice Bubbles taste just like rice, but it's in bubbles) this makes about three meals one for now two for the freezer. I always make enough for three and freeze to anytime I make anything.
There are many ways to save money, like boiling eggs just in case you feel like a snack, just wrap a boiled egg in lettuce with a bit of hot oil and mayo and that's it a good clean cheap meal.
Try before commenting!
Cheers,
Johnny