Scandalous incident rocks major media company: ‘Organisation is completely broken’

In a world where the line between professional decorum and casual entertainment often blurs, Seven West Media has found itself at the centre of a controversy, with many raising their eyebrows.

An incident featuring a group of dancers has sparked a heated debate about workplace culture and the media industry's approach to professionalism.

The incident occurred during what was supposed to be a routine staff meeting at Seven West Media in Perth, a gathering aimed at introducing new appointments and discussing company updates.

Among the new faces were Chris Dore, stepping in as The West Australian’s new editor-in-chief; Sarah-Jane Tasker, making history as the first female editor; and Adrian Lowe, breaking new ground as the first LGBT head of The Sunday Times.

vtwKoH8n_400x400.jpg
Seven West Media is under fire over an incident during a staff meeting. Credit: Seven West Media / X (formerly Twitter)

However, the meeting took an unexpected turn when Deputy News Director Ray Kuka began to speak about upcoming programming, including Perth’s annual Christmas Pageant.

As Mariah Carey's festive hit 'All I Want for Christmas' filled the room, a group of female dancers in ‘sexy Santa’ outfits—Santa hats and short red dresses—took to the stage with their performance seemingly a nod to the pageant's entertainment. The footage was posted on the Australian Financial Review website.

The reaction was swift and divided. Photos of the event circulated online, drawing heavy criticism from some quarters, with commentators likening the scene to something out of the 1980s.

Reports suggest that some female staff members were so taken aback by the display that they walked out in protest.

Online, the backlash was palpable. 'If they thought that was even slightly appropriate given everything we’ve found out about them, the cultural makeup of that organisation is badly broken,' one person wrote.

Another added, 'That will help fix the culture issues which have been uncovered,' their comment dripping with sarcasm.

In defence of the dancers, a spokesman for Seven West Media stated that they were part of the Christmas Pageant, a 'Perth institution’, suggesting that their inclusion in the meeting was meant to be a celebration of local tradition rather than an act of impropriety.

This controversy comes at a time when Seven West Media is already under scrutiny for alleged inappropriate behaviour within its ranks.

Veteran Sydney reporter Robert Ovadia recently initiated legal action against the company following an investigation into allegations of misconduct.

Seven West Media has publicly stated that it takes such allegations seriously, emphasising its commitment to addressing issues of sexual harassment and bullying.

Ryan Stokes, the Managing Director of Seven Group Holdings Ltd, highlighted inappropriate behaviour in the media as an ‘industry-wide problem’.

The timing of this incident could not be more challenging for Seven West Media.

Just days after an ABC investigation reported misogynistic behaviour from senior staff in multiple newsrooms, the company released its full-year financial results.

Despite a dip in shares following the ABC report, the financial announcement saw an early bounce in the market.

However, profits and revenue were down significantly, with pre-tax profit falling 65 per cent to $67 million and statutory net profit after tax slipping 69 per cent to $45 million.

Chairman Kerry Stokes commented on the challenges faced by traditional media business models in an evolving landscape.

‘A softer economic and advertising environment and an evolving media landscape have challenged traditional media business models,’ Stokes said.

‘We call on the federal government to support the domestic media industry in maintaining a fair and equitable playing field by compelling foreign-owned operators to fully comply with the Australian regulatory environment.’
Key Takeaways

• Seven West Media has been criticised after footage of 'sexy Santas' performing at a staff meeting surfaced online.
  • The incident occurred during a routine staff meeting in Perth that was intended to introduce new editorial appointments at The West Australian and The Sunday Times.
  • The event has drawn heavy criticism for being inappropriate, and some female staff members reacted with shock, leading to a walkout in protest.
  • Seven West Media faces ongoing scrutiny over alleged inappropriate behaviour, including a legal case against the company by veteran reporter Robert Ovadia concerning his standing down following an investigation.
How do you feel about the portrayal of 'sexy Santas' in a professional setting? Is it harmless fun or a step back in time? And more broadly, how should companies navigate the fine line between workplace entertainment and maintaining a respectful environment? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
I couldn't give a Flyin F***. This World today is so CORRUPT with POLITICAL CORRECTNESS & YOU CAN'T DO THIS OR SAY THAT & hurting some POOR DIDDUMS feelings, poor Babies, that I'm here to say WHY!!! F.F.S., a BIG dose of CEMENT PILLS & REALITY is needed here. By the way, I'm fairly certain that no deaths or injuries occurred at this event. Get F***in Real.
🤬😤😡🤬

I couldn't give a Flyin F***. This World today is so CORRUPT with POLITICAL CORRECTNESS & YOU CAN'T DO THIS OR SAY THAT & hurting some POOR DIDDUMS feelings, poor Babies, that I'm here to say WHY!!! F.F.S., a BIG dose of CEMENT PILLS & REALITY is needed here. By the way, I'm fairly certain that no deaths or injuries occurred at this event. Get F***in Real.
🤬😤😡🤬
I detect a little anger in this comment. And yes 100% agree.

For heavens sake settle down! Judging by the reports there was no inappropriate behaviour or sexual advances made by or towards the dancers, so what is the issue?
I would hate to be working with the 'sensitive female staff ' who were so offended that they walked out of the presentation.
If they are that intolerant they should be marked as potential trouble makers and given the flick!

Oh dear , if you look around the streets in summer you see sights with people wearing less than these Christmas dancers. The Christmas pageant has all the dancers in short skimpy apparel . Some of the reality shows on TV are worse with skimpy bathers which I find degrading to women . I don't watch but the trailers are in your face all the time