Scammers impersonate Qantas, target Aussies with fake 'points expiry' texts

Members, we've got a fresh warning for you: please, if you're offered a large amount of Qantas points from an unknown sender, it's probably a scammer!

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission's (ACCC) Scamwatch recently issued an urgent warning for Australians to be on the lookout for fraudulent text messages impersonating Qantas.

In an advisory posted on their website, Scamwatch reminded everyone to never click on links in text messages'.

Additionally, it's best to ignore, delete, and block any such messages that may appear to be from the airline.

Screen Shot 2023-07-20 at 10.18.17 AM.png
Qantas customers have been warned about a new scam text. Credit: Pexels/Pascal Borener, Twitter/Scamwatch_gov.

The text pretends to be from Qantas, saying that a substantial amount of your Qantas points are about to expire and even providing a link for 'details'.

It's a classic case of phishing, where scammers hope to lure victims into clicking a malicious link or downloading an attachment. By doing this, they would have access to these victims' personal and financial information to use at will.

Australians have lost a staggering $17.8 million to phishing scams over the past six months. Unsurprisingly, a vast majority of these were done through text messages, with more than 38,000 reports received in 2022 alone.

Just last month, the ACCC issued a warning about another dodgy text scam targeting Aussies, pretending to be from Qantas. In this misleading message, recipients were told that a new flight had been booked in their name.

If they didn't make the booking, they were urged to call the provided number urgently. However, the catch was that the number didn't lead to Qantas customer support but to a cunning scammer ready to snatch your hard-earned money.

If you or someone you know received this kind of message, it's crucial to avoid responding or calling the given number. Instead, report the scam to the authorities by contacting Scamwatch.

'Beware of text messages saying you have bought a ticket or made a purchase and asking you to click a link or call a number if it wasn't you. This is a scam. Don't call the number,' said the experts.

Do you want to know more about the full story? Click the link here.

Key Takeaways

• A new scam text is targeting Aussies, posing as Qantas with supposed points updates.
  • The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission's (ACCC) Scamwatch has warned against these misleading texts.
  • The scam attempts to trick recipients into revealing their personal details, which criminals could then use.
  • So far, in 2023, Australians have lost more than $17.8 million to phishing scams, most of which are carried out via text messages.

We here at the Seniors Discount Club offer some advice should you receive one of these messages: don't hesitate to contact the Qantas customer service department as soon as you can.

An official representative from the airline will be able to tell you if the message is real or not. If it's a scam, they could help you report it and minimise any potential damage to your finances.

If you encounter any phishing attempts, report them on the ACCC's Scamwatch website. And if you want to stay in the loop about the latest scams happening in Australia, check out the Scam Watch forum on the SDC website!

Remember, it's crucial to be vigilant and never share your personal or financial information via text messages, even if they seem legitimate.

Have you ever received such messages from Qantas or any other company? Share your experiences with us in the comments below! We'd love to hear from you! Stay safe out there, members!

Reactions: Ezzy and LeslieD
Sponsored
Members, we've got a fresh warning for you: please, if you're offered a large amount of Qantas points from an unknown sender, it's probably a scammer!

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission's (ACCC) Scamwatch recently issued an urgent warning for Australians to be on the lookout for fraudulent text messages impersonating Qantas.

In an advisory posted on their website, Scamwatch reminded everyone to never click on links in text messages'.

Additionally, it's best to ignore, delete, and block any such messages that may appear to be from the airline.

View attachment 25550
Qantas customers have been warned about a new scam text. Credit: Pexels/Pascal Borener, Twitter/Scamwatch_gov.

The text pretends to be from Qantas, saying that a substantial amount of your Qantas points are about to expire and even providing a link for 'details'.

It's a classic case of phishing, where scammers hope to lure victims into clicking a malicious link or downloading an attachment. By doing this, they would have access to these victims' personal and financial information to use at will.

Australians have lost a staggering $17.8 million to phishing scams over the past six months. Unsurprisingly, a vast majority of these were done through text messages, with more than 38,000 reports received in 2022 alone.

Just last month, the ACCC issued a warning about another dodgy text scam targeting Aussies, pretending to be from Qantas. In this misleading message, recipients were told that a new flight had been booked in their name.

If they didn't make the booking, they were urged to call the provided number urgently. However, the catch was that the number didn't lead to Qantas customer support but to a cunning scammer ready to snatch your hard-earned money.

If you or someone you know received this kind of message, it's crucial to avoid responding or calling the given number. Instead, report the scam to the authorities by contacting Scamwatch.

'Beware of text messages saying you have bought a ticket or made a purchase and asking you to click a link or call a number if it wasn't you. This is a scam. Don't call the number,' said the experts.

Key Takeaways

• A new scam text is targeting Aussies, posing as Qantas with supposed points updates.
  • The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission's (ACCC) Scamwatch has warned against these misleading texts.
  • The scam attempts to trick recipients into revealing their personal details, which criminals could then use.
  • So far, in 2023, Australians have lost more than $17.8 million to phishing scams, most of which are carried out via text messages.

We here at the Seniors Discount Club offer some advice should you receive one of these messages: don't hesitate to contact the Qantas customer service department as soon as you can.

An official representative from the airline will be able to tell you if the message is real or not. If it's a scam, they could help you report it and minimise any potential damage to your finances.

If you encounter any phishing attempts, report them on the ACCC's Scamwatch website. And if you want to stay in the loop about the latest scams happening in Australia, check out the Scam Watch forum on the SDC website!

Remember, it's crucial to be vigilant and never share your personal or financial information via text messages, even if they seem legitimate.

Have you ever received such messages from Qantas or any other company? Share your experiences with us in the comments below! We'd love to hear from you! Stay safe out there, members!

I just don’t get it
How can people fall into such scams?
Have been getting scams for ages
Just report and block if by phone
Check on websites rather then believe every useless message
Eg I had 2 scam messsges overnight
I blocked
I took a photo and sent report to fraud at Vodafone
That’s it
Qantas never sends messages to your mobile
Check directly on website
The only problem is that the govt doesn’t care enough to stop scammers by arresting them and putting them away

Reactions: chrissie2700
I

View attachment 25550

Key Takeaways

If your offered a large amount of Qantas points from Qantas I would say it is a scam, anything to do with that once good airline is a scam now days since the Irish idiot took over and destroyed it.

Reactions: Pommyoz
I use my Qantas card regularly. I know my points are safe. They do not expire if c/card is used often.
BUT and I emphasise BUT I received a text saying a parcel could not be delivered, wrong, both people home at 8.30. I deleted it. Another one came at 9.04am both home, I deleted it. A parcel was delivered and received by us from the driver who texted nobody. Go figure. So darn hard to know what these days.

I

If your offered a large amount of Qantas points from Qantas I would say it is a scam, anything to do with that once good airline is a scam now days since the Irish idiot took over and destroyed it.
No need to to be racist!

The Aussies obviously put him in that position.

I received a message today proclaiming to be from COSTCO.

'I had been chosen for a survey with the lure of a prize which had a limited time'.

My Scam Alert warned that this was a scam where l could be asked for sensitive information.

Members please be aware of this new scam & delete it.