Scammer reveals global fraud tactic that could drain your bank account

In today's digital age, where our personal and financial lives are increasingly intertwined with our mobile devices, a new form of fraud has emerged as a significant threat to our security and well-being.

This threat is known as sim-swapping, and it's a tactic that has been used to scam millions of people across the globe, leaving many with empty bank accounts and shattered lives.

A convicted sim-swapper who has come forward to reveal the inner workings of this terrifying fraud. He was given the pseudonym Jessee to protect his identity as he serves time in an American prison for his crimes.

Sim-swapping, or sim-porting, is a sophisticated scam where criminals transfer a victim's mobile phone number to a different phone.

This allows them to bypass security measures and gain access to the victim's bank accounts, cryptocurrency wallets, and other sensitive information—all without the owner's knowledge.

Although making it clear that he was not proud of his past, Jessee spoke candidly about his story from behind bars.

He said, ‘I was living how any college kid who had millions of dollars might live.’

‘There are kids at school who are millionaires because they are hacking when they are at home.’

compressed-pexels-sora-shimazaki-5935788.jpeg
Sim-swapping is a sophisticated fraud tactic that affects millions of people around the world. Image Source: Pexels / Sora Shimazaki

He explained that, though ‘there are certain types of hacking that are complex and require sophistication’, sim-swapping doesn't require a genius—just someone willing to break the rules and exploit the system.

The scam often involves getting an insider at a mobile phone carrier or deceiving an employee into transferring a phone number onto a new SIM card.

Jessee explains that foreign call centres are frequently the vulnerable point in the system.

‘These guys who work at these carriers, don’t make a lot of money…a lot of these customer support representatives are based in the Philippines where they make…dollars a day,’ he said.

He added, ‘If you…offer one of those people a couple of hundred dollars, they are going to really seriously consider it.’

Jessee said, ‘These people are not being picked at random. They are being … chosen from (leaked) databases that are circulating on the internet.’

Once a victim's phone number is compromised, their entire digital world is at risk. Social media accounts, personal messages, and even the ability to take out quick loans—all become accessible to the fraudster.

This was the case for a business owner and army veteran, who fell victim to this scam.

The first sign of trouble for victims is often their phone entering 'SOS Mode' as it loses connection with the mobile network.

Detective Inspector Jason Smith of the New South Wales Cyber Crime Unit said, ‘This all really goes back to 2001 when we introduced mobile phone number portability.’

‘That means you can take your phone number from carrier to carrier, which wasn't possible before that…Whilst that's really convenient…it also creates a vulnerability that can be exploited by criminals,’ he explained.

Jessee advised against using SMS two-factor authentication (2FA) and suggested more traditional security measures like strong passwords.

At the same time, police encouraged the use of biometric measures such as fingerprints and face scans, with Face ID being a particularly secure option.

‘In the (sic) the world of fraud, there are probably, two potential gold mines. One is getting access to an email account, and the second one is getting control of a person's phone number. From there, you can basically get access to all of the accounts that that person uses on a day-to-day basis,’ said Detective Inspector Smith.

‘If they're successful and they gain control of that mobile phone number, they then have access to all of the SMS verification codes.’

Unfortunately, hacking and an inside man at a telecommunications company aren’t the only ways you could be victimised by this scam.

This revelation sheds light on the importance of smartphone security, as hackers are constantly finding new ways to compromise devices.

In light of these risks, smartphone users must be aware of potential threats and take necessary precautions to safeguard their personal information.

Recently, a professional hacker revealed some ways in which smartphones could be compromised in seconds, raising concerns about the safety of personal data and highlighting the need for enhanced security measures.
Key Takeaways
  • Convicted scammer ‘Jessee’ revealed insights into how the fraudulent act of sim-swapping is carried out, targeting individuals with leaked personal data and large sums of money.
  • The scam involves transferring a victim's phone number to a new device, allowing criminals to bypass security measures and gain access to bank accounts and cryptocurrency wallets.
  • Victims of sim-swapping might first realise something is wrong when their phone enters 'SOS Mode', indicating a loss of connection to the mobile network, often too late to prevent financial loss.
  • Jessee advised against using SMS-based two-factor authentication but recommended biometric security measures such as fingerprints or facial recognition to enhance protection against this type of cybercrime.
Have you experienced sim-swapping or any other concerns regarding your digital security? Share your story with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
when will people wake up to the fact that YOU DON'T NEED A MOBILE PHONE. While you have one you are open to everything these people can come up with. I only have a landline which serves me well as I can get any missed calls when I get home. I also check my bank balance twice a day which makes my bank manager very happy. He actually says "I wish more people would do what you do".

Reactions: Gsr and maggiej
when will people wake up to the fact that YOU DON'T NEED A MOBILE PHONE. While you have one you are open to everything these people can come up with. I only have a landline which serves me well as I can get any missed calls when I get home. I also check my bank balance twice a day which makes my bank manager very happy. He actually says "I wish more people would do what you do".
You said it; chuck your mobile phone in the deep blue sea and pay bills by cheque as our banks are obliged to verify our signature. Oh, cheque books are being made obsolete.......... Thanks, banks.

• Sad
Reactions: DEL boy and Gsr
Mobile phones are handy to connect to family or amuse yourself by playing card games etc whilst waiting for someone in a car or somehere else. l panic if l am left alone in the car as l can't walk without aid and feel a bit more secure knowing l can reach someone if l need to without shouting out the car window if they are open as some only open with engine on.You never know what might happen but l can't say l really like mobile phones.

Mobile phones are handy to connect to family or amuse yourself by playing card games etc whilst waiting for someone in a car or somehere else. l panic if l am left alone in the car as l can't walk without aid and feel a bit more secure knowing l can reach someone if l need to without shouting out the car window if they are open as some only open with engine on.You never know what might happen but l can't say l really like mobile phones.
If you need anything to do in the car...GET A BOOK. I also have no use of legs and balance left town long ago but I'm never without a book and when I finish one I give it to a friend who takes it to his retirement village and apparently people now remember how to read including my friend.

Reactions: Gsr
You said it; chuck your mobile phone in the deep blue sea and pay bills by cheque as our banks are obliged to verify our signature. Oh, cheque books are being made obsolete.......... Thanks, banks.
put your bank account into your computer WHICH DOESN'T LEAVE HOME and you can pay all your bills etc through there. I've done this for the last 20 odd years with no problems.

Reactions: Gsr and TheBear
I don’t have any banking details, ID information or anything else on my mobile. I only use it for photos, sms, and phone calls when I’m away from home. Otherwise I use my landline.

• Love
Reactions: gamiry