Scam victim warns fellow Australians of online deceptions after near loss of savings

In today's digital age, where convenience often trumps caution, it's easy to fall prey to sophisticated scams that can devastate us financially.

Brisbane-based musician Rebecca Callander learned this lesson the hard way, and she's now urging fellow Australians to stay vigilant against such deceptions.

Rebecca's ordeal began with a seemingly innocuous text message purporting to be from Australia Post.

The message requested a small payment for the re-delivery of a parcel.

1729468220838.png
Brisbane musician Rebecca Callander warned about a scam after nearly losing $23,000 from a text message claiming to be from Australia Post. Credit: @hi_im_bek / TikTok

She didn't suspect foul play as someone expecting a delivery.

‘I clicked the link and was directed to a webpage that appeared completely legitimate,’ Callander said.

‘The layout, the logo, everything seemed in order.’

‘I entered my details to pay the $3.80 postal fee, thinking I had made an error with my postcode and that my package would be re-delivered.’

Only after she attempted to navigate to other website sections did she realise the tabs needed to be functional.

This red flag prompted her to contact her bank immediately, which acted swiftly to block the transaction.

Had they not done so, scammers might have gained access to her substantial savings of $23,000, painstakingly accumulated over years of wedding DJing.

‘It's infuriating to think that some business or platform I interacted with at some point likely leaked or sold my personal information. I felt like a fool,’ Callander expressed.

The feeling of being duped was compounded by a previous experience: She lost $4,800 in a Coachella ticket scam, in which an individual exploited her aspirations and trust to sell fraudulent tickets.

Australia Post has been proactive in educating customers about the prevalence of scams.

‘Do NOT click on any unexpected/unusual links or open attachments. Delete the message once you have sent it through to us,’ the website read.

‘If you’ve received a suspicious email, invoice or text message claiming to be from Australia Post, send it to [email protected] so that we can investigate.’

Callander previously lost $4,800 of her savings in a Coachella scam involving fraudulent tickets to the festival.

In April, she warned others about the risks of online ticket listings and publicly criticised the alleged scammer.

She recounted how the man claimed to support independent artists and shared a personal story about facing racial discrimination in the music industry to gain her trust.

‘He told me a story...about how he'd been discriminated against in the music industry because of the colour of his skin,’ Callander shared.

‘About how he was just giving so much to independent artists, mentoring artists, and it just pulled me right in.’

‘The idea that I'm going to Coachella with a household full of artists backstage ... are you joking? If you're an aspiring star, that's a dream come true,’
Key Takeaways
  • A Brisbane-based musician, Rebecca Callander, issued a warning to fellow Australians about a potent scam after almost losing $23,000 from a text message purporting to be from Australia Post.
  • The scam involved a fake parcel delivery notice asking for a small re-delivery fee, which led to a website that appeared legitimate but turned out to be fraudulent.
  • Rebecca Callander was fortunate to have her bank block the transaction before scammers could access the substantial savings in her account.
  • Australia Post has urged customers to stay vigilant, not to provide personal or financial information via links in messages, and to report any suspicious activity to their dedicated scam reporting email.
Have you or someone you know encountered a scam like this? What measures do you take to protect yourself online? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below.

Sponsored
Once again!
A fool and her money were easily parted!
How many times do people have to be told?
Do not click on any link before you have checked its authenticity from the relevant provider.
If you do then you are a fool and deserve to lose everything!

Once again!
Do not click on any link before you have checked its authenticity from the relevant provider.
My pension disappeared between midnight and 7am after Centrelink paid it and I did not buy or click on anything. I am not a fool and have 3 university degrees. I had to change all direct debit details and my account card. I did not deserve this. Be careful with your harsh judgements!!!!

This imo is an old ploy, AP post usually leave a card about where to pick up an undelivered article, for my mind this is just laziness.

Reactions: PattiB
Once again!
That's a bit harsh, everyone acts foolishly at times, no one is perfect. This imo reeks of laziness, as we all know AP usually leave a card on how and where to pick up undelivered packages.

My pension disappeared between midnight and 7am after Centrelink paid it and I did not buy or click on anything. I am not a fool and have 3 university degrees. I had to change all direct debit details and my account card. I did not deserve this. Be careful with your harsh judgements!!!!
So easy to be scammed when going online for UK birth certificate too. When my original one got lost .l thought l was on the right one and paid what l thought was a bit much anyway after a month when we still hadn't received it we rang UK and they said it was a scam and they knew of it.They said l would still get my birth certificate which l did.l paid $325.36 UK said it should have been just over 20 pounds.
My great NAB reimbursement the whole lot.

Reactions: June E and PattiB
This scam is not new,it's been doing the rounds for a few years use to get email weekly about a parcel. I knew it was a scam as I have a PO Box and get a card from PO. Not had one now for about 6mnths

As much as I whinge about not having a house to house Postal delivery service, its bloody inconvenient having to go to the post office/ General store to pick up any type of mail. blah blah blah at least I will never fall for a post office scam!

Once again!
Bruce C there are lots of people that are not tech savvy and still take other people as honest as themselves especially the elderly so it is wrong to not show some sympathy to them.
I should know as I was scammed out of approx 90,000 $'s by the well known life insurance REAL life insurance and it upsets me every time I see their adds on television.. I am a incapacitated war veteran but they could not give a f... about it so who is the fool and his money in this instance......

Agreed. I did not use my card for store or online transactions, only to withdraw at a bank ATM.

Someone still was able to make 6 or 7 purchases from YOUFOODZ a company I'd never bought anything from.

So easy to be scammed when going online for UK birth certificate too. When my original one got lost .l thought l was on the right one and paid what l thought was a bit much anyway after a month when we still hadn't received it we rang UK and they said it was a scam and they knew of it.They said l would still get my birth certificate which l did.l paid $325.36 UK said it should have been just over 20 pounds.
My great NAB reimbursement the whole lot.
l mean reimbursed of course .Silly me! l was in a rush at the time as l had an appointment

Bruce C there are lots of people that are not tech savvy and still take other people as honest as themselves especially the elderly so it is wrong to not show some sympathy to them.
I should know as I was scammed out of approx 90,000 $'s by the well known life insurance REAL life insurance and it upsets me every time I see their adds on television.. I am an incapacitated war veteran but they could not give a f... about it so who is the fool and his money in this instance......
Sorry about your situation but you passed on information without confirming the authenticity of the “scam” With the provider.

I am elder as well but will never respond (and you should not have) to any email without checking with the provider first.

In this day and age there is no excuse!

I should know as I was scammed out of approx 90,000 $'s by the well known life insurance REAL life insurance and it upsets me every time I see their adds on television.. I am an incapacitated war veteran but they could not give a f... about it so who is the fool and his money in this instance......
I also thank you for your service and sorry you are incapacitate, but It seems your mind is good.
Age is no excuse.
it is quite simple, DO NOT click on any link or give any personal information over the phone before you check the authenticit.
A scam is only a scam because people keep falling for them!