Scam slam: Aussies beware as online fraudsters target social media shoppers!

In today's digital age, online scams are becoming increasingly sophisticated, targeting unsuspecting users on popular social media platforms.

With cybercriminals constantly devising new methods to deceive and exploit, it's crucial to stay informed and vigilant.

A recent warning has highlighted a new threat that every user needs to be aware of, underscoring the importance of protecting personal information online.

The latest wave of online scams is targeting users through platforms like Facebook, where many connect with friends, family, and their favourite brands.

The allure of a great deal can be strong, especially when it's from a brand you know and trust. However, this is precisely the hook that scammers are using to reel in their victims.

According to ScamWatch, in the past year alone, Australians have lost a staggering $14.9 million to online shopping scams, with fraudsters creating counterfeit web pages that are near-identical to legitimate sites.

These fake e-shops are so convincing that they've successfully duped shoppers into believing they're getting an incredible bargain.

shutterstock_2139587149.jpg
Australian social media users are being targeted by online scammers with fake ads featuring popular brands. Credit: Shutterstock

One such scam involved a ‘mid-year sale’ for the Aussie retailer Sussan, where clothing was advertised for as little as $7.

This was just one of the 4,000 fake e-shops uncovered by cybersecurity company Avast.

Unsuspecting shoppers are finding these sites through social media ads, which seem harmless enough until they lead to financial loss and frustration.

The consequences of falling for these scams can be severe. One individual warned, ‘It’s a scam. I got caught out on this, then five days later, they emptied my bank account.’

According to Stephen Kho, a cybersecurity expert at Avast, shoppers are at risk of being scammed as fraudulent websites ‘almost exactly’ mirror authentic designs.

However, he shared some insights on how to spot these fraudulent sites.

‘Shoppers should be cautious if a website has a strangely designed layout, contains numerous spelling or grammatical errors, lacks contact information, or if the deals seem too good to be true,’ Mr Kho advised.

He also recommended avoiding clicking on social media ads and instead visiting the store's website directly to reduce the risk of falling victim to scams.

‘Verify the shop/brand’s genuine domain name by performing an online search and comparing the real company domain name with the e-shop you are about to buy from,’ he suggested.

‘Fake-shop domain names can be subtly different to the real site. For example, a misspelling or a different spelling of a word, such as www.flightcenter.com.au as opposed to www.flightcentre.com.au.’

Once a purchase is made on these counterfeit sites, personal and payment information is at risk of being stolen, or you may end up with counterfeit products.

‘Sometimes, you will receive the item you paid for, but it will be fake. Other times, you will receive nothing at all,’ a spokesman for the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) cautioned.

Major brands such as Carhartt, Doc Martens, Max Mara, Mulberry, Samsonite, and Skims have all been imitated by scammers, demonstrating the breadth of this issue.

When asked about the scam ads hosted on Facebook, a spokesperson from Meta pointed out that ‘scammers use every platform available to them to defraud people’.

‘They constantly adapt to evade enforcement,’ the spokesperson stated.

‘Content that purposefully intends to deceive or exploit others for money violates our policies, and we remove this content when it’s found.’

‘We continue to invest in detection technology and share information with law enforcement so they can prosecute scammers, and information we receive from law enforcement helps us better address scams,’ they added.

Many Australians voiced their frustration over losing money to these online scams, especially during challenging times.

‘This happened to me with St Frock. Site looked EXACTLY like theirs, the only ticker was that the website link had ever so slightly different spelling. It was honestly a great scam,’ one individual shared.

‘I got done on one of these for Just Jeans! I felt so s*****!’ another lamented.

‘I do a Google search for a website now after getting scammed by a mirror site for Strandbags,’ a third added.

If you find yourself a victim of such a scam, Mr Kho advised that it's imperative to act swiftly.

‘If you suspect you have shopped at a scam site, immediately contact your financial institution to report the incident, cancel the card you used and dispute any unauthorised transactions,’ he recommended.

‘It's crucial to change passwords for any accounts used during the transaction.’

Scams can be reported to Scamwatch, and official complaints can be lodged with the police. Be wary of follow-up scams, too, as Scamwatch warned that one in three scam victims are targeted more than once.

In the aftermath of being scammed, it's essential to seek support. Financial counsellors can provide guidance, and organisations like BeyondBlue at 1300 22 4636 and Lifeline offer emotional support and crisis assistance at 13 11 14.

IDCARE is another resource that can help ‘reduce the harm they experience from the compromise and misuse of their identity information by providing effective response and mitigation’.

With the recent surge in sophisticated online scams targeting unsuspecting Australians through platforms like Facebook, the need for heightened awareness and vigilance is more critical than ever.

As cybercriminals employ increasingly deceptive tactics, it's imperative for individuals, especially seniors, to safeguard their finances against fraudulent schemes.

By staying informed about the latest scam tactics and taking proactive measures, everyone can better protect themselves from financial exploitation in this digital age, especially after the end of the financial year.
Key Takeaways
  • Online scammers are targeting Australian social media users with fake ads for popular brands, leading to significant financial losses.
  • Cyber security expert Stephen Kho from Avast advised potential shoppers to be wary of sites with poor design, spelling, and grammatical mistakes or deals that seem too good to be true.
  • Customers who believe they have been scammed should immediately contact their bank, change any passwords used for the transaction, and report the incident to authorities.
  • It is encouraged to not click on social media ads but instead visit the official store's website directly and be cautious of slightly different domain names that mimic legitimate ones.
Have you or someone you know encountered these scams? What measures do you take to ensure the safety of your online shopping experiences? We invite you to share your experiences and suggestions in the comments below.

Reactions: Frank Gross
Sponsored
I realise this would be a massive task, but what if brands registered their domain with Meta. Their AI could then scan for similar sites and reject them.

There was a story on SDC a few days ago that Telcos want to do this in Australia now.

Reactions: Macarj and PattiB
Facebook is literally riddled with fraudulent adverts. The old adage "if it seems too good to be true it probably is" coupled with a dose of common sense. NSW is in the middle of the rugby league season and a swag of fake adverts have begun to appear. This one has the "clue" referred to....these jerseys are referred to as "RUGBY" not "RUGBY LEAGUE"...such a reference is the bane of rugby league supporters and certainly not one genuine selllers would make.

Attachments

• 449105661_7759951224082387_8838606994782005339_n.jpg
    449105661_7759951224082387_8838606994782005339_n.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 0
This one has the "clue" referred to....these jerseys are referred to as "RUGBY" not "RUGBY LEAGUE"...such a reference is the bane of rugby league supporters and certainly not one genuine selllers would make.
Never a truer word said. I cringe every time somebody refers to the great game as WUGBY.

A pastime for private school toffee nosed pissmops.

• Haha
Reactions: Macarj
who reads the news on facebook? who purchases from facebook. I use it to see my daughters and friends photos. and i look at market place gardens.

Reactions: Macarj
who reads the news on facebook? who purchases from facebook. I use it to see my daughters and friends photos. and i look at market place gardens.
Yeah that's all my wife uses it for personally I don't use Facebook at all