Scam alert: How overseas telemarketers are targeting Australians through brand impersonation

In the digital age, where convenience and connectivity reign supreme, Australians are increasingly reliant on technology for their everyday interactions.

However, this shift has also opened the door to more sophisticated forms of deception, with scammers constantly finding new ways to exploit trust and swindle individuals and businesses alike.

One such method that has been causing significant distress involves overseas telemarketers impersonating reputable Australian businesses to sell products or extract personal information.

Recently, a concerning trend has emerged, as highlighted by the experience of business owner Marcus Cundy-Cooper, who spoke about the alarming situation he faced.

His company, Energy Advisor, became an unwitting pawn in a scammer's game, leading to a barrage of angry emails and phone calls from the public, who believed his legitimate business was harassing them.

These telemarketers, who seemed to be operating from overseas, were cold-calling individuals, many of whom had taken the precaution of registering their numbers on the ‘Do Not Call’ register, and falsely claiming to represent Energy Advisor.

compressed-shutterstock_2160486223.jpeg
A business owner's company name has been misused by overseas telemarketers for fraudulent sales calls, unwittingly implicating him in scams. Credit: Shutterstock

The impact of such scams is not to be underestimated. For Cundy-Cooper, the emotional toll was significant as he grappled with the damage to his reputation and the stress of handling frequent complaints.

‘When I saw the first [complaint] email, it was quite a shock…then the phone calls started,’ the business owner recalled.

‘It was a huge emotional shock; you don't want to be facing that…I even contemplated changing my business name.’

This scenario is a stark reminder that no one is immune to the threat of impersonation scams, which can tarnish years of hard-earned trust and credibility in an instant.

The National Anti-Scam Centre (NASC) warned that the tactic of using a reputable business name to lend credibility to scams is a well-worn strategy.

Scammers may go as far as to infiltrate an organisation's emails or customer database to make their deceit more convincing.

‘It is a common tactic of scammers to impersonate well-known brands and trusted organisations, including government organisations, law enforcement, popular online stores, and other well-known service providers,’ a NASC spokesperson explained.

‘Scammers will email clients, customers, and others that deal with the organisation to ask for payments. They will then change banking details on legitimate invoices so that payments are sent to scammer accounts instead of to the actual organisation.’

Dr Shaanan Cohney, a Senior Lecturer in Cybersecurity at the University of Melbourne, pointed out that the concept of brand impersonation is not new, but the methods have become more sophisticated with the advent of cybercrime.

‘What we are seeing change is that the level of sophistication is that within cybercrime, this pattern has now been adopted as well,’ he said.

‘So whether that's websites selling counterfeit goods that look much like the real thing or communications attempting to come from a well-known brand, these are the sorts of techniques that allow criminals to hijack consumers' familiarity with businesses they already know in order to get them to part with their money.’

Fortunately, in Cundy-Cooper's case, there was no direct financial loss, but the ordeal underscores the importance of vigilance.

The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) has acknowledged the prevalence of brand impersonation call scams and works with telecommunications companies to disrupt them.

Failing to comply with telemarketing regulations, such as the ‘Do Not Call’ register, may lead to fines of up to $313,000 daily.

The ACMA recognised that it was aware of this scam and contacted the impersonated business to offer support.

‘Brand impersonation call scams are common and we actively work with telcos to try and disrupt them,’ ACMA said in a statement.

‘We proactively provide data to telcos to help them identify and block these types of scams; however, scammers use a range of dynamic obfuscation techniques to avoid detection.’

Following discussions with the ACMA, Cundy-Cooper has successfully resolved the non-compliance complaints against him.

Acting on ACMA's guidance, he has also added a notification on his website to alert visitors about the scam.

Although he still receives complaint calls, their frequency has decreased, and he believes the disclaimer is effective.

To protect yourself from such scams, it's crucial to be sceptical of unsolicited calls or messages claiming to represent a business or organisation.

Always verify the caller's identity by contacting the organisation through independently sourced information.

Be wary of any sense of urgency created by the caller and refrain from sharing personal information unless you are certain of its legitimacy.

If you suspect you've been targeted by a scam, or worse, have lost money, contact your bank immediately.

For compromised personal information, reach out to IDCARE at 1800 59 160 and report the incident to scamwatch.gov.au.

As telemarketing scams continue to evolve, with overseas fraudsters impersonating legitimate Australian businesses, it’s vital for consumers to stay informed about the risks in their area.

This awareness becomes even more crucial in light of recent data revealing the most scammed postcodes across the country.

Understanding where these scams are prevalent can help individuals take proactive measures to protect themselves from falling victim to these deceitful tactics.
Key Takeaways
  • A business owner's company name has been falsely used by overseas telemarketers to make fraudulent sales calls, unknowingly involving him in scams.
  • The scammers are claiming to work for the legitimate business Energy Advisor and, in some cases, have used the company's ABN and accessed the personal details of individuals.
  • Impersonation scams are not new and can involve scammers changing banking details on invoices or pretending to be from reputable organisations to deceive victims.
  • The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) is working with telecom companies to block such scams, and non-compliance with telemarketing laws can lead to significant financial penalties.
At the Seniors Discount Club, we urge our members to stay informed and cautious. Scams can be sophisticated and convincing, but by being aware and taking the right precautions, you can protect yourself and your hard-earned money.

Have you or someone you know encountered a similar scam? How do you keep yourself safe from these schemes? Share your experiences in the comments below to help others stay alert and safe.

Sponsored
I wasn't scammed per se, I was hacked.
A few days ago I opened my emails to see half a dozen emails from Facebook and Instagram telling me they had shut down my accounts because my password had been changed out of Nigeria.
They were legit emails, I checked and both my accounts had been locked, I had to jump through hoops to get my Facebook up and running again but I eventually did.
Here's the kicker, a friend of mine got hacked through a company a few days before me, I bragged that I could never be hacked due to the symbols and caps I put in my passwords, was I wrong!
I had to laugh because the company he was hacked through was called "Total Tools", what an appropriate name for having scant regard to their security lol..

I had to go and change all of my passwords including my bank, Lotto, Flybuys, Woolies rewards, here, and many other places as a just in case senario..
Iv'e made an extra strong password now and for most places I get a text to be able to log in, I feel safer now, but if you have any symbols in your passwords, don't be fooled that this can help you, I learnt the hard way..
Sorry for derailing the original message!