Say goodbye to brown avocado with this ‘life-changing’ trick!

We've all been there: you've prepared a delicious batch of guacamole or smashed avocado, only to find it's turned an unappetising brown colour within a day.

But now, thanks to a simple kitchen trick from beauty mogul Jaclyn Hill, you can keep your avocado fresh for up to a week.

Hill, a 33-year-old social media personality, has shared a 'life-changing' method that has since gone viral.

The beauty entrepreneur prepares a week's worth of smashed avocado in advance, allowing her to enjoy avocado toast daily without the hassle of daily preparation.

Photo_20240205_112334_0000.png
Jaclyn Hill shared her secret to keep her avocados fresh. Credit: @jacattack / TikTok

'This avocado hack is going to change your life,' she told her followers.

To prepare her avocado mixture, Hill mashed two whole avocados with coriander, garlic, and lemon, seasoned with salt and pepper.

'You can make guacamole...Personally, I like to make (smashed) avocado that’s ready for avocado toast because this is going to stay good for the next five to six days,' she explained.

‘The mixture is going to be my spread for my avocado on toast over the next week.’

While Hill preferred to add extra ingredients to her avocado so it’s ready to use on the go, she assures her followers that the mixture can be kept plain.

'You can do this without any of the ingredients whatsoever,' she said.

'You can just grab avocado, smash it and use it just like that or you can add whatever ingredients you want like I did.'

The secret to keeping the avocado mixture fresh in the fridge lies in three things: a paper towel, lime, and an airtight glass storage container.

Hill explained, 'You need a paper towel and a lime—that’s it. I cut the paper towel into a perfect square. I’m going to push the paper towel up against the edge so there’s basically no air pockets.'

‘Then take your lime and squeeze this on top. This doesn’t really even change the taste or flavour of your avocado, it just keeps it perfectly fresh,' she said.

‘Once that’s done, your avocado is going to be good over the next four, five and six days, honestly.’

The lime-soaked paper towel is said to keep the avocado fresh for longer because the citrus naturally contains strong antioxidants, which work against oxygen to slow down browning.

To serve, Hill removed the paper towel, scooped out the amount of avocado she needed for her toast, and covered it back up again.

'You take the paper towel off, you use (avocado), you put the same paper towel right back on, and it’ll continue to keep it fresh,' she explained.

‘I make this mixture one to two times a week. Use it for my avocado toast, dipping cucumbers tastes fresh for days.’

Hill suggested preparing five avocados a week if you eat avocado a day.

‘You can make your avocado toast mixture with like five avocados, and it will be ready for you every day,’ she said.

Hill's video has been viewed more than 1.1 million times, with many viewers eager to try the method for themselves.

'You changed my life because why didn’t I think to make a batch for when I need toast?' one viewer commented.

‘Not all heroes wear capes—thank you,’ another said.

A third added, ‘Wow, it works.’

You can watch Jaclyn Hill’s video below:

Credit: @jacattack / TikTok

While Hill's advice is certainly effective, it's not the only method out there for keeping avocados fresh. Another popular method involves freezing mashed avocado.

A food enthusiast shared her method for keeping avocados perfectly ripe for months by freezing them.

She mashed up the avocados and used a small cookie scoop to portion them out before freezing.

'They don’t turn brown at all, and when they set up firm in a few hours, I throw them in a Ziploc bag,' she explained.

Frozen avocados can last for three to six months, making this a great option for those who like to buy avocados in bulk.
Key Takeaways
  • Beauty mogul Jaclyn Hill shared a viral video with a trick to keep smashed avocado fresh for up to a week.
  • Hill's storage method involves using a paper towel, lime, and an airtight glass container to keep the avocado from browning.
  • The lime-soaked paper towel prevents browning due to the citrus's strong antioxidants, which work against oxygen.
  • This ‘life-changing’ avocado storage tip has had a positive reception online, with many eager to try the technique.
Have you tried any of these avocado tricks? Do you have any other tips for keeping avocados fresh? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored