SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Suzanne rose

Suzanne rose

Jun 27, 2022
Sydney
Saving Money Done Easy

1_paP5Mh91KHWiMG2pC9rbnQ.png

After working for many years and having the luxury of a good wage I was suddenly off work due to major illness and without a wage.

I have always known how to budget because of having my 13 beautiful baby's but I now had to tighten my belt more.

I want to share with you what I have followed to save .

Cut Unnecessary Expenses​

Identify And Reduce Impulse Spending​

Impulse buying can wreak havoc on even the most disciplined budget. Recognize the impact of impulsive purchases on your financial health. Implement strategies such as creating shopping lists and imposing waiting periods before making non-essential purchases. These tactics provide the time and space needed to evaluate whether a purchase is truly necessary.
I always ask my self do I actually need this item, if I do then I will get it but if I'm not sure I walk away from it .

Impulse buying is the biggest non necessary spending that we do.

Trim Down Subscription Services​

Evaluate your subscription services to determine their necessity. Are there services you can live without? Consider consolidating or downgrading plans to save money. By cutting back on subscriptions, you can redirect funds toward your weekly savings goals.

Hubby wanted to keep foxtel , I wanted Netflix so I called foxtel and told them I was looking at cutting it . I ended up with the same as I had except the lovely lady cut $30 off my monthly payment and also add Netflix to it for nothing so zi ended up saving $50 a month.

I then cut Stan and disney plus

71WsC1LhXWL.jpg

Meal Planning And Cooking At Home​

One of the most effective ways to save money weekly is by preparing meals at home. Not only is it cost-effective, but it also allows you to have control over your ingredients and portion sizes. Embrace meal planning and batch cooking to minimize food waste and maximize your savings.

Meal Planning And Cooking At Home​

Before shopping do a meal plan for a week or fortnight.
make a shopping list and stick to it .

1200x1800-Culinary-Hill-Grocery-List.jpg

Whether shopping in store or on line DO NOT SHOP WHILE HUNGRY .

Make food that is enough for two meals eg chicken with vegetables then chicken wraps. I have put up plenty if recipes you can do this with.

Buy bulk...see below

500g mince works out so much more than 1kg . Freeze in portions.

Sometimes frozen is so much cheaper than fresh. Eg broccoli, blueberries ect. Fresh isn't always better than frozen.

Mushrooms loose are $11 kg compared to packaged $18 kg

Always look at weight price eg how much is 100g cost

shopping-kids-family-cartoon-vector-illustration_723224-1501.jpg

Selling Unwanted Items​

Decluttering your space not only brings a sense of tidiness but can also lead to financial gain. Sell unwanted items online through platforms like eBay or gumtree . Remember to prioritize safety in in-person transactions by meeting in public places and informing a friend or family member of your plans.
I mostly post and do all transactions through PayPal

Thrift Shopping And Second-Hand Purchases​

Thrift shopping and purchasing second-hand items can significantly cut down on expenses. The advantages are twofold: you save money and contribute to a more sustainable lifestyle.

I hope by sharing these tips, it will help you like it has helped me

Please feel free to add any of your saving tips

I will also add a few budget recipes and two for one meal ideas in the cooking section

Last edited:
Hi Suzanne, good advice all round. After my children left home I found it difficult to readjust the size of meals I cooked, so even now cook as if I'm cooking for 6, freeze the extra portions and have ready meals that give me the night off whenever I don't feel like cooking. In the Winter I also cook up huge pots of healthy and hearty soups and freeze in serving sized portions that give me a healthy, easy meal with a crusty roll. Love your recipe ideas you post and have tried many of them, thank you for sharing xx

I have been doing all of these things for as long as l can remember.
l grate and freeze cheese as l don’t like the idea of cellulose powder in store bought grated cheese. I freeze chopped capsicum, celery, onions, shallots, cooked mushrooms. Left over chicken and ham. l don’t waste anything. All of these things l use in fried rice. I always have spaghetti sauce frozen in meal size portions then all l have to do is cook some pasta. There are lots of meals can be cooked and frozen which saves on gas/electricity.

Hi Suzanne, good advice all round. After my children left home I found it difficult to readjust the size of meals I cooked, so even now cook as if I'm cooking for 6, freeze the extra portions and have ready meals that give me the night off whenever I don't feel like cooking. In the Winter I also cook up huge pots of healthy and hearty soups and freeze in serving sized portions that give me a healthy, easy meal with a crusty roll. Love your recipe ideas you post and have tried many of them, thank you for sharing xx
I had the same problem , being use to cooking for 15 plus it took me awhile to make smaller amounts.

I have been doing all of these things for as long as l can remember.
l grate and freeze cheese as l don’t like the idea of cellulose powder in store bought grated cheese. I freeze chopped capsicum, celery, onions, shallots, cooked mushrooms. Left over chicken and ham. l don’t waste anything. All of these things l use in fried rice. I always have spaghetti sauce frozen in meal size portions then all l have to do is cook some pasta. There are lots of meals can be cooked and frozen which saves on gas/electricity.
It's funny how many people don't even know to freeze extras or leftovers

I cook on purpose more meals and freeze a few portions or have it in a couple of days and just heat it up. My freezer is full with muffins , healthy natural biscuits and homegrown capsicums . Also freeze overripe bananas for muffins or bananabread .
I cook on gas , cheap $24,- a year . Solar on the roof , no electricity bills .
Do not have pay tv , watch very little tv , there is too much rubbish like lifestyle programs , which I absolutely hate.
Be a member of the library at no cost and I read a lot . You can even use their computers for free for 1 hour . They also do many arti/crafty things .
Use the senior gym $ 5.- per person , go to the local rock and roll dancing $1.- per person . The list goes on and on . It is only expensive when you need a tradesperson to do some work , you pay for it , but I usually ask if they take cash and they often do and you get a cheaper price .

I cook on purpose more meals and freeze a few portions or have it in a couple of days and just heat it up. My freezer is full with muffins , healthy natural biscuits and homegrown capsicums . Also freeze overripe bananas for muffins or bananabread .
I cook on gas , cheap $24,- a year . Solar on the roof , no electricity bills .
Do not have pay tv , watch very little tv , there is too much rubbish like lifestyle programs , which I absolutely hate.
Be a member of the library at no cost and I read a lot . You can even use their computers for free for 1 hour . They also do many arti/crafty things .
Use the senior gym $ 5.- per person , go to the local rock and roll dancing $1.- per person . The list goes on and on . It is only expensive when you need a tradesperson to do some work , you pay for it , but I usually ask if they take cash and they often do and you get a cheaper price .
I also have 2 large containers of frozen banana's ready for smoothies, muffins and banana bread