Save Money on Home Decor and Gardening with This Genius Kmart DIY

Are you tired of overspending on home decor and gardening supplies? Sprucing up your living space and garden can quickly add up to hundreds of dollars, but what if we told you there's a way to save money and still achieve a stunning look?

Look no further than Kmart! In recent years, the popular retailer has become a go-to destination for savvy DIY enthusiasts seeking affordable, stylish home decor and gardening solutions.

One particularly clever Kmart DIY has caught the attention of many, offering a genius solution to save you hundreds on wall planters.

A clever woman recently shared her idea in the Kmart Home Decor & Hacks Australia Facebook group, showing how she transformed Kmart laundry powder and peg tins into wall planters.

Initially, she had estimated that buying pre-made wall planters capable of holding a decent-sized potted plant would set her back around $150 per set (ranging from 2 to 3 planters each).

1683554630829.png
A savvy homeowner shared how she upcycled some peg tins from Kmart and saved money from buying more expensive planters. Credit: Facebook/Kmart Home Decor & Hacks Australia.

But by using this Kmart product, she managed to create a comparable alternative for just $71 – that's a massive saving of $79! Let's break down those costs: $41 for the tins (three smaller peg tins at $9 each and larger laundry powder tins at $12 each) and $20 for two cans of spray paint.

Here's what she did:

1. Firstly, she discarded the lids from the laundry powder tins and removed the large handles from the peg tins. She opted to keep the smaller side handles on the powder tins for a cute, extra touch of detail.

2. She spray-painted the tins white to create a clean, cohesive look that would suit any interior design scheme.

3. With the help of plasterboard anchors, she securely mounted the tins to the wall, ensuring they would be able to support the weight of both the tin and the plants.

4. Finally, she placed her favourite potted plants inside the newly transformed wall planters, complete with their original pots for easy maintenance and drainage.

The result is a unique addition to her home, and better yet, it cost her less than half the price she would have spent on similar, store-bought planters.

When asked about watering and drainage, she shared that she either uses a pouring jug and step stool or a handy little contraption she crafted from a bottle, wire, and tubing.

She fills the bottle, screws the lid back on, and squeezes to send water to the higher planters.

To deal with drainage, the plants remain in their original pots, sitting inside high-walled containers that catch any excess water and protect the tins from rust.

When she performs water changes, she supplements with a liquid fertiliser called 'Leaf Zone' by API brand, which can be purchased at any pet store.

The post was flooded with praise, with many group members claiming that the tip was a ‘game-changer’

One person wrote: ‘I love this, they look gorgeous!’

‘Great idea!’ another raved.

Key Takeaways
  • A woman shared how she transformed Kmart laundry powder and peg tins into wall planters.
  • She spray-painted the tins white and mounted them on the wall to create a unique and inexpensive indoor wall planter display.
  • The plants are kept in their original pots and placed inside high-walled containers to catch overflow and drainage, protecting the tins from rust.

So, there you have it, folks! Have you ever taken a creative approach to gardening or home decorating by using unconventional objects? We’d love to hear your stories!

We also recommend checking out this article where we share how one homeowner upcycled some ‘throwaway' bar stools into tall planters.

Share your ideas with us in the comments below, and if you have any tips for keeping plants healthy and safe when experimenting with different planters, let us know. Happy decorating!

Reactions: Tillybug
Sponsored
I’ve found some great pieces there myself, like stylish planters and cozy cushions that fit perfectly into my space.

For a unique touch, I also added a few Limoges boxes from Limoges Box Gifts - https://www.limogesboutique.com/. They’re charming little accents that add a bit of elegance to my decor. I found them online and was pleasantly surprised at how they complemented my setup. Sometimes, mixing affordable finds with a few special items can make a big difference.

Last edited: