Save big money on your next purchase: Aussie retail worker reveals the five ‘magic’ words you need to use

We’re all familiar with the feeling of satisfaction that comes with getting a good deal – especially these days when everything seems to be getting more expensive by the minute.

Now, one retail worker has revealed the five simple words that could help you to save even more money on your next big purchase.

Sharing on the popular Facebook page Markdown Addicts Australia, the worker revealed that he is an employee at The Good Guys and shared the five simple words everyone should ask at the checkout.

‘I work for The Good Guys, and with a single question at the counter, you could potentially get major savings,’ they stated.

grocery1.jpg
A retail worker revealed the ‘magic words’ that customers should say at the checkout. Credit: Pixabay/Pexels

They continued: ‘Always ask, “Is that the best price?”.’

According to the retail worker, this question often results in getting a couple of dollars reduced in your total bill.

‘But I just had a customer ask, and his air fryer got reduced by $90 because we price matched Harvey Norman,’ the staff explained.

‘All with a simple question.’

Many bargain hunters agreed with the worker’s advice, and others shared their experiences and the savings they received by asking one question.

‘I bought a new fridge last year advertised for $1400. I asked what’s the best he could do, I got it for $1050 and a free four-litre bottle of laundry liquid,’ one claimed.

Someone shared that they purchased a TV last year for $900 when its retail price was worth $1,500.

‘The Good Guys price matched the Ninja double drawer air fryer for me it was about $90 cheaper. JB Hi-Fi is also amazing for price matching, they took almost $300 off a vacuum for me!’ Another one replied.

‘I always ask for a price match and am always surprised with the savings,’ one more stated.

One customer responded: ‘I literally stand there and Google the item, find a better price online and show it to the worker and just ask “Can you do your price beat on this?”. Nine out of 10 times, they can and do if it’s a legitimate store you’ve found.’

grocery2.jpg
The tip caught the attention of many bargain hunters on social media. Credit: Tima Miroshnichenko/Pexels

But what is price matching?

Price matching is a practice in which a retailer agrees to ‘beat’ the price of a product offered by a competitor.

What this does is enable the customer to find a lower price for a product at another retailer, bring that information to where the customer is purchasing the said item and then ask that retailer to ‘match’ the price they found elsewhere.

The retailer will then either adjust the price of the product to match the competitor's price or offer some other form of compensation, such as a discount or store credit.

Price matching is often used as a strategy by sellers to attract more consumers by ensuring that they can get the best price possible. The best part is that in some stores, the discount applies even after purchasing an item.

This is where the concept of price guarantee comes in. It is when a retailer honours a discounted price after the item has been bought. For instance, when a sale starts after a big purchase, you can take your item, ask the retailer for a price guarantee, and the store will then refund the difference between what you paid for and the newly discounted price.

You can read more about this, including how to ask for price matching or a price guarantee, in this article.

However, do note that this service is not available at every store – only major retailers offer it most of the time. So, it’s best to know which ones can provide this service before you go out shopping. You can see a compiled list of Aussie stores that offer price matching here.
Key Takeaways

• An Australian retail worker has revealed that asking 'Is that the best price?' at the checkout could potentially result in major savings.
  • Many customers also shared their unbelievable savings by asking this simple question, with some receiving price reductions of hundreds of dollars.
  • Price matching is not available at every store. Most of the time, only major retailers offer it.
Do you have any other clever tips to help save money when shopping? Share them in the comments below, we’d love to hear them!

Sponsored
I never buy a large purchase without asking for a reduction.

In my line of work I was in I couldn't discount a wedding dress we were ordering but I could give like $400 off accessories.
If it was a dress of the rack and they asked for a reduction I could usually give around $200 off.

When someone asked for a reduction and I knew I couldn't reduce it , I would say let me see what I can do . I would come back and say sorry I can't reduce it but it was worth asking as I can give a credit of $300 or $400 for accessories eg veil or jewellery.

We’re all familiar with the feeling of satisfaction that comes with getting a good deal – especially these days when everything seems to be getting more expensive by the minute.

Now, one retail worker has revealed the five simple words that could help you to save even more money on your next big purchase.

Sharing on the popular Facebook page Markdown Addicts Australia, the worker revealed that he is an employee at The Good Guys and shared the five simple words everyone should ask at the checkout.

‘I work for The Good Guys, and with a single question at the counter, you could potentially get major savings,’ they stated.

View attachment 17647
A retail worker revealed the ‘magic words’ that customers should say at the checkout. Credit: Pixabay/Pexels

According to the retail worker, this question often results in getting a couple of dollars reduced in your total bill.

‘But I just had a customer ask, and his air fryer got reduced by $90 because we price matched Harvey Norman,’ the staff explained.

Many bargain hunters agreed with the worker’s advice, and others shared their experiences and the savings they received by asking one question.

‘I bought a new fridge last year advertised for $1400. I asked what’s the best he could do, I got it for $1050 and a free four-litre bottle of laundry liquid,’ one claimed.

Someone shared that they purchased a TV last year for $900 when its retail price was worth $1,500.

‘The Good Guys price matched the Ninja double drawer air fryer for me it was about $90 cheaper. JB Hi-Fi is also amazing for price matching, they took almost $300 off a vacuum for me!’ Another one replied.

‘I always ask for a price match and am always surprised with the savings,’ one more stated.

One customer responded: ‘I literally stand there and Google the item, find a better price online and show it to the worker and just ask “Can you do your price beat on this?”. Nine out of 10 times, they can and do if it’s a legitimate store you’ve found.’

View attachment 17648
The tip caught the attention of many bargain hunters on social media. Credit: Tima Miroshnichenko/Pexels

Price matching is a practice in which a retailer agrees to ‘beat’ the price of a product offered by a competitor.

What this does is enable the customer to find a lower price for a product at another retailer, bring that information to where the customer is purchasing the said item and then ask that retailer to ‘match’ the price they found elsewhere.

The retailer will then either adjust the price of the product to match the competitor's price or offer some other form of compensation, such as a discount or store credit.

Price matching is often used as a strategy by sellers to attract more consumers by ensuring that they can get the best price possible. The best part is that in some stores, the discount applies even after purchasing an item.

This is where the concept of price guarantee comes in. It is when a retailer honours a discounted price after the item has been bought. For instance, when a sale starts after a big purchase, you can take your item, ask the retailer for a price guarantee, and the store will then refund the difference between what you paid for and the newly discounted price.

You can read more about this, including how to ask for price matching or a price guarantee, in this article.

However, do note that this service is not available at every store – only major retailers offer it most of the time. So, it’s best to know which ones can provide this service before you go out shopping. You can see a compiled list of Aussie stores that offer price matching here.
Key Takeaways

• An Australian retail worker has revealed that asking 'Is that the best price?' at the checkout could potentially result in major savings.
  • Many customers also shared their unbelievable savings by asking this simple question, with some receiving price reductions of hundreds of dollars.
  • Price matching is not available at every store. Most of the time, only major retailers offer it.
Do you have any other clever tips to help save money when shopping? Share them in the comments below, we’d love to hear them!
Love it, will try and remember this when I go and buy my electric chair

I now always check the prices at all the stores on the Internet days before and even on the day. I purchased a OLED tv from The Good Guys and paid for it. They reduced it and the item was not instore. I kept checking to see if the stores Price dropped and sure enough The Good Guys had priced drop that same male & model & screen size tv by $200. I drove over and yes, they matched the price drop. They offered a refund but I used that refund to buy s sound bar which they lowered and took another $20 off again. I also purchased the Extended Warranty on both items and even had the tv been delivered straight away the Extended Warranty 'Concierge' service and if one can get cheaper within 30 days of date of purchase one gets 100% of that price difference refunded plus 10% = equals $220 which is exactly what The Good Guy gave me, plus extra discount off the sound bar.

View attachment 17647

View attachment 17648

Key Takeaways

when i worked in retail was asked that all day . i closed deals with humour "thats not our best price (adding) 10% thats our best price !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: magpie1
Good Guys & some other such stores tell me that is their best price unless l am a RAC MEMBER, which l am & get a bit off. Perhaps l should say no & see what reply l receive?

Love it, will try and remember this when I go and buy my electric chair
remember do your homework . find similar chairs (there,s not huge difference) brochures will make you look serious . rule 1 be prepared to walk away , they want the commision . i,ve had salesman follow me to door . rule 2 haggle like it was your last dollar you don,t know them rule 3 furniture has a massive markup i mean massive
hope this helps i,ve been in retail all my life !!!!!!!!!!!

Had to laugh to myself & walk away in a Godfrey's store one day. Many people were in the store & a salesman grabbed a vac, poured rubbish onto a loose mat & started vacuuming, lifting the mat as he did so, saying, "Look at the suction power." As we walked out the store l said to my wife, "It will always do that on a loose mat." A lot of people seemed to be getting taken in though.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: magpie1 and Big G

View attachment 17647

View attachment 17648

Key Takeaways

well you might get a better price but be careful the good guys are really hard to deal with if you need to take something back i bought a vacuum. cleaner from there and it was faulty but they argued with me till i was blue in the face and i said i would go to the consumer watch dog about it finally some results and they accepted the problem and took it back, but it was so much trouble to take it back yet Jb hifi i have never had a problem taking stuff back.

well you might get a better price but be careful the good guys are really hard to deal with if you need to take something back i bought a vacuum. cleaner from there and it was faulty but they argued with me till i was blue in the face and i said i would go to the consumer watch dog about it finally some results and they accepted the problem and took it back, but it was so much trouble to take it back yet Jb hifi i have never had a problem taking stuff back.
Thankyou for the hint. I am very grateful for this rachtrex.

View attachment 17647

View attachment 17648

Key Takeaways

I asked this a few years ago and my reply was, What do you want me to go broke?? Guess who didn't get the sale.

Reactions: magpie1 and Ezzy
There is no law that says you can't ask "is that your best price"......go for it. 😉

Reactions: Ezzy
I now always check the prices at all the stores on the Internet days before and even on the day. I purchased a OLED tv from The Good Guys and paid for it. They reduced it and the item was not instore. I kept checking to see if the stores Price dropped and sure enough The Good Guys had priced drop that same male & model & screen size tv by $200. I drove over and yes, they matched the price drop. They offered a refund but I used that refund to buy s sound bar which they lowered and took another $20 off again. I also purchased the Extended Warranty on both items and even had the tv been delivered straight away the Extended Warranty 'Concierge' service and if one can get cheaper within 30 days of date of purchase one gets 100% of that price difference refunded plus 10% = equals $220 which is exactly what The Good Guy gave me, plus extra discount off the sound bar.
Consumer Affairs have often warned against purchasing extended warranties.
Even if the warranty is only 12 months, apparently, if it is an expensive item, eg fridge, washing machine, TV etc and should have reasonably have been expected to last much longer then under consumer law they are expected to repair or replace.

Good Guys will always do a better price. I bought a new fridge, dishwasher, 90cm oven, pigeon pair washer and dryer. All were on special and I still got another 10% off and free delivery, just by asking.
Don't ask, don't get.
It's not embarrassing, it's common sense.
I think this lady should remember she is at a market, people haggle.