Safety issues led to the urgent recall of a Steam Vaporiser from Chemist Warehouse

The possibility of burn injuries are problems nobody wants on top of a nagging cold and allergies as they are unpleasant enough on their own.

Unfortunately, that’s exactly what customers of Chemist Warehouse have had to face recently, after a recall of one of their products, the Euky Bear Warm Steam Vaporiser, due to a defect in its heating element.

This medical device is commonly used for clearing sinus and nasal congestion in children.

2.jpg
A product recall was issued for Euky Bear Warm Steam Vaporisers. Image sources: Chemist Warehouse (left), Facebook/Euky Bear Australia (right).

The recall, which was issued by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA), was made public to alert customers of the potential danger posed by the device’s malfunction—rust and overheating, which could cause burns to the user.

'If you do not turn off the device after steaming has stopped, the base of the blue heating module may overheat and disintegrate, producing smoke and fumes,' the TGA notice read.

'The device must be turned off at the power point after steaming has stopped to allow it to cool.’

'If this doesn’t happen, the base of the blue heating module may overheat, rust and disintegrate, producing smoke and fumes. If the heating module finger is exposed, this could cause burns.'

The potentially damaged products, which have been available for sale from April to August 2023, are marked with ARTG 297553 and batch numbers 230301, 231101, A231101 and B231101.

Patrons are asked to check for these details on the underside of the rim near where the cord enters the unit. The photo below will help locate this:

1.jpg
Batch numbers can be found on the underside of the product’s rim. Image source: Facebook/Euky Bear Australia.

Customers who own one of the affected models are urged to stop using the device immediately and contact [email protected] to arrange for a replacement or return the item to the place of purchase for a refund.

Currently, no alternative stock is being offered, but replacements will be offered by December 2023.

The TGA encourages consumers and health professionals to report problems with medical devices as it can help TGA monitor products and make sure that they are safe for everyone to use. You can file a report through this link.

For more information on reporting these devices, you can refer to this guide from TGA.

They also strongly encourage you to talk to your healthcare provider if you are adversely affected by any medical device.

Key Takeaways

• Several batches of a nasal decongestant vaporiser sold at Chemist Warehouse have been urgently recalled after overheating hazards were identified.
  • The Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) issued the recall for four varieties of the Euky Bear (Warm Steam) Vaporiser – Humidifier due to a malfunction in their enclosed heating element.
  • The medical device poses risks for burn injuries, as the base of the heating module may overheat, rust, and disintegrate, producing smoke and fumes if not turned off after steaming has stopped.
  • Customers who have purchased a faulty Euky Bear Vaporiser are urged to stop using the device immediately and contact the manufacturer at [email protected] or return it to the place of purchase for a full refund. The manufacturer will offer an equivalent replacement from December 2023.
If you or anyone you know uses this product, share this article with them to keep them safe from any harm.

Share your thoughts on this recent product recall in the comments below!

Correction: A previous iteration of this article mentioned a fire risk. This has since been removed in light of further information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Euky Bear's Australian website has some "fair dinkum" reviews with 5 out of 5 from five reviews.

One from ten months ago stated that the product "was great for those cold winter nights". Ten months ago was December you numbnuts! Slap bang in the middle of summer. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Suzanne rose
The possibility of fire and burn injuries are problems nobody wants on top of a nagging cold and allergies as they are unpleasant enough on their own.

Unfortunately, that’s exactly what customers of Chemist Warehouse have had to face recently, after a recall of one of their products, the Euky Bear Warm Steam Vaporiser, due to a defect in its heating element.

This medical device is commonly used for clearing sinus and nasal congestion in children.

View attachment 29789
A product recall was issued for Euky Bear Warm Steam Vaporisers. Image sources: Chemist Warehouse (left), Facebook/Euky Bear Australia (right).

The recall, which was issued by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA), was made public to alert customers of the potential danger posed by the device’s malfunction—rust, overheating, and the serious risk of fire and burn injuries.

'If you do not turn off the device after steaming has stopped, the base of the blue heating module may overheat and disintegrate, producing smoke and fumes,' the TGA notice read.

'The device must be turned off at the power point after steaming has stopped to allow it to cool.’

'If this doesn’t happen, the base of the blue heating module may overheat, rust and disintegrate, producing smoke and fumes. If the heating module finger is exposed, this could cause burns.'

The potentially damaged products, which have been available for sale from April to August 2023, are marked with ARTG 297553 and batch numbers 230301, 231101, A231101 and B231101.

Patrons are asked to check for these details on the underside of the rim near where the cord enters the unit. The photo below will help locate this:

View attachment 29788
Batch numbers can be found on the underside of the product’s rim. Image source: Facebook/Euky Bear Australia.

Customers who own one of the affected models are urged to stop using the device immediately and contact [email protected] to arrange for a replacement or return the item to the place of purchase for a refund.

Currently, no alternative stock is being offered, but replacements will be offered by December 2023.

The TGA encourages consumers and health professionals to report problems with medical devices as it can help TGA monitor products and make sure that they are safe for everyone to use. You can file a report through this link.

For more information on reporting these devices, you can refer to this guide from TGA.

They also strongly encourage you to talk to your healthcare provider if you are adversely affected by any medical device.

Key Takeaways

• Several batches of a nasal decongestant vaporiser sold at Chemist Warehouse have been urgently recalled after overheating hazards were identified.
  • The Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) issued the recall for four varieties of the Euky Bear (Warm Steam) Vaporiser – Humidifier due to a malfunction in their enclosed heating element.
  • The medical device poses risks of fire and burn injuries, as the base of the heating module may overheat, rust, and disintegrate, producing smoke and fumes if not turned off after steaming has stopped.
  • Customers who have purchased a faulty Euky Bear Vaporiser are urged to stop using the device immediately and contact the manufacturer at [email protected] or return it to the place of purchase for a full refund. The manufacturer will offer an equivalent replacement from December 2023.
If you or anyone you know uses this product, share this article with them to keep them safe from any harm.

Share your thoughts on this recent product recall in the comments below!
Ah hah ... another substandard Chinese product with a high risk problem. What a surprise!

As an electrician, I watched 25 years ago as the states and territories dismantled their Standards divisions. Standards were a sub-department of the Consumer Protection departments of the States and Territories. They tested and passed or rejected every appliance that entered Australia. Australian importers and manufacturers had to supply washing machines, kettles, TVs, EVERYTHING that they proposed to on-sell to Australians for testing. Then Australian politicians decided that "from now on, it is buyer beware."

As an electrician, I am pretty good at spotting electrical goods that are "dodgy". But pity the poor average consumer for whom electrical ... or gas, for that matter ... knowledge is limited to "plug it in and turn it on."

In 2011 I was asked to test and tag a portable electric air compressor for an industrial business in Gladstone. The air compressor had an integral electric motor sitting on top that was definitely NOT double insulated. I could not get Earth pin to metal continuity and therefore had to reject tagging the tool as safe. I investigated further by removing the terminal cover. The compressor had power supplied with a two conductor lead. There was no Earthing conductor! I took some flak over that one. Yes, I could have fitted a three conductor lead and plug, but if THIS fundamental safety principle had been ignored, I did not want to take a chance that something else was missing or non-compliant with Australian safety rules.

So the general politician attitude that you should be "a beware buyer" has only benefited two groups of people. Dodgy manufacturers and dodgy importers. You may now note with horror the amount of motor vehicles recalled. Remember that they have only been recalled BECAUSE a fault was found while they have been in use!

Good luck out there consumers. Or should a call you guinea pigs?

Ah hah ... another substandard Chinese product with a high risk problem. What a surprise!

As an electrician, I watched 25 years ago as the states and territories dismantled their Standards divisions. Standards were a sub-department of the Consumer Protection departments of the States and Territories. They tested and passed or rejected every appliance that entered Australia. Australian importers and manufacturers had to supply washing machines, kettles, TVs, EVERYTHING that they proposed to on-sell to Australians for testing. Then Australian politicians decided that "from now on, it is buyer beware."

As an electrician, I am pretty good at spotting electrical goods that are "dodgy". But pity the poor average consumer for whom electrical ... or gas, for that matter ... knowledge is limited to "plug it in and turn it on."

In 2011 I was asked to test and tag a portable electric air compressor for an industrial business in Gladstone. The air compressor had an integral electric motor sitting on top that was definitely NOT double insulated. I could not get Earth pin to metal continuity and therefore had to reject tagging the tool as safe. I investigated further by removing the terminal cover. The compressor had power supplied with a two conductor lead. There was no Earthing conductor! I took some flak over that one. Yes, I could have fitted a three conductor lead and plug, but if THIS fundamental safety principle had been ignored, I did not want to take a chance that something else was missing or non-compliant with Australian safety rules.

So the general politician attitude that you should be "a beware buyer" has only benefited two groups of people. Dodgy manufacturers and dodgy importers. You may now note with horror the amount of motor vehicles recalled. Remember that they have only been recalled BECAUSE a fault was found while they have been in use!

Good luck out there consumers. Or should a call you guinea pigs?
Good to see a knowledgeable person discuss the dangers of Chinese crap.

There are a lot of sub-standard imported products being sold in Australia these days which seem to only last until the day after warranty is up! We’re asking for things at reduced prices and so we get cheap imported things & we complain about these “cheap, rubbish imports” when they fail or just don’t last. But we also want higher wages which MUST ultimately reflect in the cost of Australian made goods!

So what is the answer here?? I just don’t know, but I’m glad my husband and I have everything we need now in our very senior years, both pushing and over 80 now. When we were younger we saved for the best we could afford and didn’t buy anything really cheap just because ‘Joe blow’ had it. These days it seems to be “I want, I want, I want”, and no one wants to wait and save for quality goods.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezzy and Robyn 42