Safety concerns prompt popular dog food, Ford unit recalls

Safety should always be our priority for our family (including our furry loved ones!) at home and on the road.

With that in mind, we have two major warnings for Australian pet owners and Ford vehicle owners, as your safety may be at risk.

When it comes to our pets, we all want what’s best for them. Keeping them healthy and well-fed is paramount—not only for their well-being but as much as for our own, since our pooches have become an integral part of the family.

However, in recent news, Meals For Mutts has issued an urgent warning for pet owners about their products due to possible mould contamination.

SDC Images (6).png
Recalls have been issued due to safety concerns. Image source: Facebook/MfM Australia - Meals for Mutts (left), Ford Australia (right).

The products have been sold in major pet food outlets across Australia, such as Pet Circle, Pet Stock, My Pet Warehouse, PetO and Budget Pet Products.

'We have become aware of a concern regarding the presence of mould in some of our dry dog products, and we want to ensure the well-being of your beloved pets,' they said in a post on social media.

Pet owners are encouraged to inspect their products carefully for the ‘presence of mould’.

Mould is known to be toxic for dogs. As one Kiwi pet owner recently shared, mould almost led to her losing her beloved pup. You can read more on that here.

Mouldy food contains a poisonous substance called mycotoxins, which can be extremely dangerous for dogs. What’s more worrying is that they can still be affected even if they just nibble a tiny bit of spoiled food—and it’s not just our four-legged friends that can be at risk either, humans can be in danger too.

Below are the products affected and their best-before dates:

Affected products and their best before details.jpg

Customers who spot any signs of mould or those who prefer to discontinue feeding their dog with their current bag of dry food are encouraged to take the product back to the place of purchase.

They may also contact [email protected] for support regarding the recalled products.

You can read Meals for Mutts full post below:

SDC 21.png
Source: Facebook/MfM Australia - Meals for Mutts.

Another recall notice was issued for 1,559 Ford Transit vehicles that have been manufactured between 2021 and 2023.

According to the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications and the Arts, the issue regarding the Ford vehicle has something to do with a defect in the rear-view camera which may not display the rear-view image properly when the car is reversing—presenting a risk of serious injury or death to both the driver and civilians.

'If the rear-view camera display does not continually display the rear-view image while reversing the vehicle, it could increase the risk of an accident, causing serious injury or death to any persons located behind the vehicle,' the department said on the recall notice.

Ford will contact the affected owners via written notice and will ask for them to schedule an appointment at a dealership for inspection and repair of the issue, all free of charge.

You may also search if your vehicle is affected by checking this list of affected Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN).

You may also contact the Ford Customer Relationship Centre on 133 673 for more information.
Key Takeaways

• A recall has been issued for a brand of dog food, Meals For Mutts, sold at stores around Australia.
  • The company has identified the presence of mould in some of its products.
  • The brand is sold at major pet food retailers such as Pet Circle, Pet Stock, My Pet Warehouse, PetO, and Budget Pet Products.
  • Dog owners are urged to inspect their products for any presence of mould and to discontinue use and return the product if mould is found.
  • A recall notice has also been issued for 1,559 Ford Transit vehicles manufactured between 2021-2023 due to a defect.
  • The defect involves the vehicle's rear-view camera, which may not display the rear-view image correctly while reversing.
  • The Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications and the Arts warned this could increase the risk of accidents, potentially causing serious injury or death.
  • Ford will contact affected owners in writing, and repairs will be done free of charge at a Ford dealership.
Members, do you, or anyone you know, own any of these products? Share this article with them to ensure everyone’s safety!

Let us know your thoughts on these two recent recalls in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
Safety should always be our priority for our family (including our furry loved ones!) at home and on the road.

With that in mind, we have two major warnings for Australian pet owners and Ford vehicle owners, as your safety may be at risk.

When it comes to our pets, we all want what’s best for them. Keeping them healthy and well-fed is paramount—not only for their well-being but as much as for our own, since our pooches have become an integral part of the family.

However, in recent news, Meals For Mutts has issued an urgent warning for pet owners about their products due to possible mould contamination.

View attachment 33563
Recalls have been issued due to safety concerns. Image source: Facebook/MfM Australia - Meals for Mutts (left), Ford Australia (right).

The products have been sold in major pet food outlets across Australia, such as Pet Circle, Pet Stock, My Pet Warehouse, PetO and Budget Pet Products.

'We have become aware of a concern regarding the presence of mould in some of our dry dog products, and we want to ensure the well-being of your beloved pets,' they said in a post on social media.

Pet owners are encouraged to inspect their products carefully for the ‘presence of mould’.

Mould is known to be toxic for dogs. As one Kiwi pet owner recently shared, mould almost led to her losing her beloved pup. You can read more on that here.

Mouldy food contains a poisonous substance called mycotoxins, which can be extremely dangerous for dogs. What’s more worrying is that they can still be affected even if they just nibble a tiny bit of spoiled food—and it’s not just our four-legged friends that can be at risk either, humans can be in danger too.

Below are the products affected and their best-before dates:

View attachment 33579

Customers who spot any signs of mould or those who prefer to discontinue feeding their dog with their current bag of dry food are encouraged to take the product back to the place of purchase.

They may also contact [email protected] for support regarding the recalled products.

You can read Meals for Mutts full post below:

View attachment 33565
Source: Facebook/MfM Australia - Meals for Mutts.

Another recall notice was issued for 1,559 Ford Transit vehicles that have been manufactured between 2021 and 2023.

According to the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications and the Arts, the issue regarding the Ford vehicle has something to do with a defect in the rear-view camera which may not display the rear-view image properly when the car is reversing—presenting a risk of serious injury or death to both the driver and civilians.

'If the rear-view camera display does not continually display the rear-view image while reversing the vehicle, it could increase the risk of an accident, causing serious injury or death to any persons located behind the vehicle,' the department said on the recall notice.

Ford will contact the affected owners via written notice and will ask for them to schedule an appointment at a dealership for inspection and repair of the issue, all free of charge.

You may also search if your vehicle is affected by checking this list of affected Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN).

You may also contact the Ford Customer Relationship Centre on 133 673 for more information.
Key Takeaways

• A recall has been issued for a brand of dog food, Meals For Mutts, sold at stores around Australia.
  • The company has identified the presence of mould in some of its products.
  • The brand is sold at major pet food retailers such as Pet Circle, Pet Stock, My Pet Warehouse, PetO, and Budget Pet Products.
  • Dog owners are urged to inspect their products for any presence of mould and to discontinue use and return the product if mould is found.
  • A recall notice has also been issued for 1,559 Ford Transit vehicles manufactured between 2021-2023 due to a defect.
  • The defect involves the vehicle's rear-view camera, which may not display the rear-view image correctly while reversing.
  • The Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications and the Arts warned this could increase the risk of accidents, potentially causing serious injury or death.
  • Ford will contact affected owners in writing, and repairs will be done free of charge at a Ford dealership.
Members, do you, or anyone you know, own any of these products? Share this article with them to ensure everyone’s safety!

Let us know your thoughts on these two recent recalls in the comments below.
My first dog died from botulism poisoning from a can of dog food it was the most harrowing experience in my life. The only thing that could of saved him was a human antidote as in those days they didn’t have one for animals. But at $4000.00 a pop was out of our reach. So the vet decided to put him to sleep.I always checked after that if it smells fishy and it’s supposed to be meat then it’s off. 😢

Last edited:
My first dog died from botulism poisoning from a can of dog food it was the most harrowing experience in my life. The only thing that could of saved him was a human antidote as in those days they didn’t have one for animals. But at $4000.00 a pop was out of our reach. So the vet decided to put him to sleep.I always checked after that if it smells fishy and it’s supposed to be meat then it’s off. 😢
I had a packet of SavourLife Dog Treats/Jerky - noticed mould only a couple of day after opening i.e. didn't notice at first, took it back but a good lesson to always check for it. Heartbreaking to lose best mate.

I had a packet of SavourLife Dog Treats/Jerky - noticed mould only a couple of day after opening i.e. didn't notice at first, took it back but a good lesson to always check for it. Heartbreaking to lose best mate.
Butch was the best dog I ever owned. Found him in Darwin as a puppy walking down the Main Street in the middle of the night. We think he’d wandered from an aborigine camp turned out he was a dingo. Bought him back to Melbourne and everyone loved him. He was ten years old when he died.😍

• Love
Reactions: Tervueren and Knell
This is the whole problem with the pet food industry here in Australia. It's unregulated. They can put any type of crap in it and there's no comeback. Self regulated they say. What a load of rubbish.
Not like the US where it comes under FDA regs.

This is the whole problem with the pet food industry here in Australia. It's unregulated. They can put any type of crap in it and there's no comeback. Self regulated they say. What a load of rubbish.
Did not know it wasn't regulated! That is a worry. I am going back to cooking his food to add to dry food and hopefully that will balance the diet.

There is a list of fda recommended dog food you can look up.😁
Yikes, the only brand on the list that I have seen or used is the Eureka and neither the dog nor the cat like it. I will be rushing to the shops in the morning to buy meat/chicken and cook up in the pressure cooker. Stressing now!

Yikes, the only brand on the list that I have seen or used is the Eureka and neither the dog nor the cat like it. I will be rushing to the shops in the morning to buy meat/chicken and cook up in the pressure cooker. Stressing now!
Don’t stress you’ll work it out.😋

Reactions: Tervueren and Knell
how do these recalled products get onto our shelves in the first place. Aren't there inspections made in the Company before sending them out.

Reactions: Littleboy8
Choice Australia (an Independent Consumer Business) is running a Petition to Government Members at the moment to provide better regulations for the Pet Food Industry. Please sign the petition, as our pets deserve so much better and as Consumers, we deserve to know EXACTLY what is going into our pet food when we buy it.

Did not know it wasn't regulated! That is a worry. I am going back to cooking his food to add to dry food and hopefully that will balance the diet.
Please sign the Choice Australia petition to the Government so that we can get a Regulated Pet Food Industry. It is not fair that consumers are unaware of what goes into our beloved pets food.

Reactions: Knell
There is a business called "Bestie" that makes a powder 'topper' that you can add to your homemade pet food. You apply different amounts of the powder to ensure that your homemade food is a correctly balanced diet. You add so much for beef, a different amount for lamb or pork, and different again for kangaroo. It ensures that you are feeding your fur-babies a correctly balanced diet with all of the important and essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals.

Reactions: Knell
There is a business called "Bestie" that makes a powder 'topper' that you can add to your homemade pet food. You apply different amounts of the powder to ensure that your homemade food is a correctly balanced diet. You add so much for beef, a different amount for lamb or pork, and different again for kangaroo. It ensures that you are feeding your fur-babies a correctly balanced diet with all of the important and essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals.
Thanks for this info

Reactions: Tervueren
Please sign the Choice Australia petition to the Government so that we can get a Regulated Pet Food Industry. It is not fair that consumers are unaware of what goes into our beloved pets food.
I am not pushing Choice just merely want to know what is in my dog and cat food and believe that it should be labelled correctly informing consumers so that they know exactly what they are feeding their pets. It is not good enough to read "chicken by-products" or "meat meal" when that is OFTEN the chicken beaks, and diseased meat that is discarded from abbatoirs.