Safe surfing: Browsing with peace of mind just got a whole lot safer!

In an age where digital lives are intertwined with physical existence, the importance of cybersecurity cannot be overstated. For many, the virtual world can sometimes feel like an unfamiliar territory, with threats lurking around every corner.

Recognising this, Google has been a pioneer in creating a safer browsing experience through its Safe Browsing features, which have been shielding users from the darker corners of the internet for years.

Now, Google is taking a significant leap forward to enhance this protection, and it could very well be a game changer for your online security.

Google recently announced an update that brings real-time protection to its Safe Browsing service.

This is a substantial upgrade from the previous system, which updated the list of dangerous sites and files every 30 to 60 minutes.

In the fast-paced digital world, this time frame is not sufficient, as according to Google, many malicious sites are short-lived, popping up and disappearing within a mere 10 minutes.

compressed-shutterstock_2367432559.jpeg
Google announced an upgrade to its Safe Browsing feature to provide real-time protection against dangerous sites and files. Credits: Shutterstock

The new real-time protection aims to address this by utilising a Google-side server that continuously updates the list of potential threats.

This means that the moment a new threat is identified, it is added to the list, significantly reducing the window of opportunity for these sites to cause harm.

In the past, Safe Browsing only utilised a list that was stored locally on your device.

The real-time feature is expected to block 25 per cent more phishing attempts, a type of cyberattack that targets users with deceptive emails and websites designed to steal personal information.

Moreover, Google is not only focusing on the sites we visit, but also on the integrity of our online credentials.

The tech giant is introducing a new feature to its password manager that allows users to perform a 'password checkup'.

This tool will alert you if your passwords are weak, reused across multiple sites, or have been compromised in any data breaches.

It will frequently conduct checks for password-related issues, yet Google will also provide users with the option to manually initiate a checkup if they prefer to perform one independently.

Google has also addressed potential privacy concerns with this update.

The company assures users that encryption and privacy-enhancing techniques are in place to prevent anyone, including Google itself, from seeing your browsing history.

The modification will need some extra resources for your browser, but Google assures users that it will maintain its ‘smooth and speedy’ performance.

Both of these functionalities are valuable enhancements to Google's suite of online tools.

Given the increasing significance of cybersecurity, utilising a browser equipped with such capabilities can offer additional protection that may otherwise be lacking.

While this is a legitimate update, you should also be careful with some malicious attacks disguising themselves as a fake browser update, and this similar scheme that focuses on Google Chrome.
Key Takeaways

• Google upgraded its Safe Browsing feature to provide real-time protection against dangerous sites and files.
  • This improvement aims to combat malicious sites that often only exist for very short periods, around 10 minutes or less.
  • The tech giant also introduced a 'password checkup' feature in its password manager to alert users about reused, weak, or compromised passwords.
  • The new features enhance cybersecurity and user protection, significant given the increasing prevalence of online threats.
What are your thoughts on this latest Google security update? Have you ever been a victim of a cyber attack? Share your stories in the comments below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
I'd like Google to shove it up their rear. Almost 2 years they have been stuffing around with my computer and I've had a gut full of them. I can't even get IT to sort out my machine because they seem to think it's me who's mucking around. Even Microsoft has their icons stuck over some of mine and no-one can get rid of them. Try turning on your computer, click on something you want, say emails, and waiting up to 10 minutes before anything happens OR "oops we have a problem" or "not connected" when you are. I wish they'd mind their own business and leave mine alone. I don't even let useless stuff build up but is cleared almost immediately it comes in and this is the only place I speak to others.I wish Google would bugger off.

Reactions: IAN3005 and Jennie
I'd like Google to shove it up their rear. Almost 2 years they have been stuffing around with my computer and I've had a gut full of them. I can't even get IT to sort out my machine because they seem to think it's me who's mucking around. Even Microsoft has their icons stuck over some of mine and no-one can get rid of them. Try turning on your computer, click on something you want, say emails, and waiting up to 10 minutes before anything happens OR "oops we have a problem" or "not connected" when you are. I wish they'd mind their own business and leave mine alone. I don't even let useless stuff build up but is cleared almost immediately it comes in and this is the only place I speak to others.I wish Google would bugger off.
So don’t use Google ?

There are other search engines. Maybe Bing might be better for you.

Reactions: paulamc52
I stopped using Google 7 years ago for the same reason. I was always having my PC rebuilt.. they can bugger off with their AI and whatever else they come up with to intrude on our privacy.

Reactions: paulamc52
I only use ms edge which has the same capability as Google and i found a free open sauce add blocker called u Block origin and you can just download the extension and see no adds and it blocks any thing even malicious content.