Rumoured AC/DC tour faces shake-up as key member reportedly steps back

The rumble of the drums, the electrifying guitar riffs, and the unmistakable vocals of AC/DC have been a staple of the rock music scene for decades.

However, recent rumours suggest that the iconic Australian rock band may be facing a significant shake-up.

While no official announcements have been made, the music industry is abuzz with speculation about a possible tour, including a gig in Munich, Germany, in June.

But the rumoured tour may be missing a familiar face.

It is speculated that the band may be hitting the road without one of its key members, long-time bass player Cliff Williams.

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 7.51.04 AM.png
AC/DC bassist Cliff Williams would be stepping back from any potential AC/DC tour. Credit: @deandelray / Instagram

AC/DC superfan and comedian Dean Delray, who has previously interviewed Williams, recently shared some potentially game-changing news.

According to Delray, a 'very reliable source' has informed him that Williams will not be participating in any potential tour.

Delray shared this news with his 71,000 followers on social media, along with a snippet of a 2020 interview with Williams.

The caption read, ‘Ok, last night I heard from a very reliable source that AC/DC will be touring with a new bass player this year.’

‘I’m not gonna say who it is. I’ll let AC/DC make that announcement.’

Delray added that he spoke with Williams three years ago, and the musician told him ‘straight up’ that ‘he would not be touring again’.

‘I was surprised that the fans didn’t seem to pick up on that,’ Delray said of the interview.

‘I just want to take this time to thank Cliff for absolutely rocking us on the bass for over 40 years. An absolute killer of groove. I love you brother.’

In the interview, Williams, now 74, hinted at his potential departure from the band's touring line-up.

He spoke candidly about his concerns, saying he would only commit to a few shows rather than an entire tour ‘for (the sake of) my health’.

'We all have our issues down the line,' he said, adding that he had ‘both’ physical and mental issues.

‘I definitely have some physical issues which I won’t bore you with. It’s tough.’

‘I’m very grateful for everything, it’s been fantastic,’ he continued.

‘(But) I was at a point—and this is at the beginning of the (2015-16) Rock Or Bust tour—that I just felt, for me, it was time to hang it up.’

‘I knew that I didn’t wanna keep doing these two-year tours, and I didn’t wanna hold them back, so I made them aware of the fact that this was gonna be my last go-round.’

You can check Dean Delray’s post below:

The potential loss of Williams on tour comes on the heels of another blow to the band.

In December 2023, original AC/DC drummer Colin Burgess passed away at the age of 77. The cause of his death remains unknown.

The band paid tribute to Burgess, saying, ’Very sad to hear of the passing of Colin Burgess. He was our first drummer and a very respected musician. Happy memories, rock in peace, Colin.’
Key Takeaways
  • AC/DC, an iconic Australian rock band, is rumoured to be preparing for another tour, potentially without long-time bass player Cliff Williams.
  • Comedian and AC/DC superfan Dean Delray shared information from a reliable source about Williams stepping back and a new bass player joining the tour.
  • Williams has previously expressed to Delray during a 2020 podcast that he would not be touring again, citing both mental and physical health concerns.
  • Speculation of the tour follows the recent passing of original AC/DC drummer Colin Burgess, with the band paying respects to their first drummer.
Are you a fan of AC/DC? How do you feel about the potential changes in the band’s line-up? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
I love AC/DC but being in the same age group as they are and long retired i feel that if a band member has had enough, then he too is free to retire from his 'job'. Whilst being in a world famous band sounds like a dream job, it would become gruelling trying to continue touring. The band will still sound the same. I applaud his decision and wish him well.

AC/DC have been crap since the passing of Bon Scott. Even a founding member of the AC/DC fan club I knew well, revoked his membership when they recruited Brian Johnson. Strangely enough, they both have the same surname. 😳

I agree,the
AC/DC have been crap since the passing of Bon Scott. Even a founding member of the AC/DC fan club I knew well, revoked his membership when they recruited Brian Johnson. Strangely enough, they both have the same surname. 😳
I agree their original stuff with Bon,never get sick of.LOVED JAIL BREAK full load speakers at home.He didn't even have all his teeth then!!!
Raw stuff