Royal Family pays touching tribute to Queen Elizabeth II on her second death anniversary

Two years have passed since the world bid farewell to Queen Elizabeth II, a monarch whose reign spanned seven decades and left an indelible mark on the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth.

As the Royal Family commemorated the second anniversary of her passing, they did so with a blend of personal reflection and public tributes that underscore the deep respect and affection in which the late Queen is held.

King Charles III and his wife, Queen Consort Camilla, have been observed paying their respects in a manner befitting the Queen's legacy.

The couple attended a service at Crathie Kirk church, a place of deep spiritual significance for the Royal Family, especially when residing at their Balmoral estate in Scotland.

This church holds a special place in the Royal Family's heart as it was a sanctuary where Queen Elizabeth II worshipped regularly before her death at 96 years old on 8 September 2022.

GW8ug-jWYAAC1we.jpeg
The Royal Family commemorated the late Queen Elizabeth II in a touching tribute. Credit: @RoyalFamily / X (formerly Twitter)

The Royal Family's social media has shared a touching tribute to the late Queen, posting a photograph capturing her radiant smile at a Buckingham Palace summer party in 2019.

The simple yet poignant caption read: 'Remembering Queen Elizabeth II, 1926-2022’.

The Prince and Princess of Wales, William and Kate, who led their own tributes during a small service at St David's Cathedral in Wales on the first anniversary of the Queen’s death, have yet to make a public statement this year.

The UK Prime Minister, Sir Keir Starmer, also honoured the late Queen with a heartfelt message on social media.

‘Today marks two years since the passing of Queen Elizabeth II. The late Queen’s dedication to the UK and Commonwealth taught us that whatever challenges our country faces, the value of service always endures,’ he wrote.

‘For the 70 glorious years of her reign, she was at the heart of this nation’s life. Today we honour her memory.’

In a significant announcement coinciding with the anniversary, the UK government’s Queen Elizabeth Memorial Committee has revealed plans for a new national memorial to be erected at St James’s Park in London.

This location was chosen for its historical significance and personal connection to the late Queen.

The Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, Rt Hon Pat, emphasised the importance of a memorial that not only commemorates the Queen's central role in British society but also provides a space for public reflection.

‘It is only right that the memorial is situated in a location that represents the scale of her role at the heart of British society and provides a place of reflection for the public,’ the Chancellor said.

While the memorial's construction is still in its infancy, the committee has made it known that later this year, more detailed discussions with architects and artists regarding design proposals will commence.

The unveiling of the official design is anticipated in 2026, which poignantly would have been the year the Queen turned 100.
Key Takeaways

• The royal family commemorated the second anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II's death with various tributes and attendances at memorial locations.
  • King Charles III and Queen Camilla attended Crathie Kirk church in Scotland, a place frequented by the late Queen.
  • A national memorial to Queen Elizabeth II is set to be erected at St James’s Park in London, with design proposals to be discussed later in the year.
  • The U.K. Prime Minister, Sir Keir Starmer, and other figures posted tributes honouring the Queen's dedication and service to the country.
What are your memories of Queen Elizabeth II? How did her reign touch your lives? Share your thoughts and tributes in the comments below.

Sponsored
My memories of the Queen were when she was Princess Elizabeth, at the age of 14 I joined the local platoon of the Sherwood Foresters Cadet Bn. A company, during my 4 yrs. service before being called up for national service I reached the rank of Quartermaster Regimental Sergeant major, After the war it was decided that there was to be a big parade in London with every different Regiment in the British Isles sending 6 representees and I was selected to take 5 others to London, On the Saturday night before the parade on the Sunday we all slept on bunks in the empty air raid shelters, I shall never forget all the cheering crowds and the order Eyes left to Princess Elizabeth as my section marched past.

My memories of the Queen were when she was Princess Elizabeth, at the age of 14 I joined the local platoon of the Sherwood Foresters Cadet Bn. A company, during my 4 yrs. service before being called up for national service I reached the rank of Quartermaster Regimental Sergeant major, After the war it was decided that there was to be a big parade in London with every different Regiment in the British Isles sending 6 representees and I was selected to take 5 others to London, On the Saturday night before the parade on the Sunday we all slept on bunks in the empty air raid shelters, I shall never forget all the cheering crowds and the order Eyes left to Princess Elizabeth as my section marched past.
l remember seeing her in the car as she drove passed my mother and l .She just happen to turn our way and wave.She was very young and looked so attractive in the turquoise outfit she was wearing.

As a Matric student (Year 12) in 1970 I saw the Queen and Prince Phillip at a schoolchildren's event at the MCG in Melbourne on the morning of 8th April. The MCG was packed with children and teachers who'd been bussed in from all over the city - and probably from regional Victoria also, though not sure re this. We were only allowed to have one busload so our SRC voted for the group to be the Matric class and the SRC members. The grounds were a mass of uniformed, excited and flag-waving students and their teachers, cheering madly as the vehicle carrying the Queen and Prince Phillip passed their areas of the stands.

Coming from a 'royalist' family, this was a massive highlight for me, and the only time I was 'close' to this incedible woman.