Royal family in flux: Prince Harry reportedly rejects returning home, eyes new path

The British Royal Family has long been a symbol of tradition and continuity, but recent events suggest that change may be on the horizon.

According to sources close to him, Prince Harry, the Duke of Sussex, has made it clear that he has 'no interest' in returning to Britain to resume his royal duties.

This revelation comes nearly five years after he and his wife, Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, stepped back from their roles as senior royals and moved to Montecito, California.

The Duke's decision to seek advice from trusted former aides on navigating a potential return to the UK has sparked speculation about his intentions and the monarchy's future.

Despite the rumours, it's important to note that sources emphasise Harry and Meghan are not looking for a permanent return to royal life.

1725406740257.png
Prince Harry reportedly has 'no interest' in returning to the UK for royal duties. Credit: Shutterstock

Instead, they are exploring ways to mend fences and possibly engage in low-key royal duties.

Harry's reported outreach to his old circle of confidants suggests a desire to rethink his approach after a period of tension with the Royal Family.

This comes as the Duke is preparing for a trip to New York to engage with his charities, including the Halo Trust and the Diana Award.

His upcoming 40th birthday and the recent diagnosis of his father, King Charles, with cancer may have prompted some introspection about his role and relationships within the family.

The newspaper also reported that the couple ended their association with another American PR consultant.

Christine Weil Schirmer, who took on the head of communications with the Sussexes in 2020, quietly departed late last year.

She is the latest in a series of departures from the couple's team, making her the tenth staff member to leave in the past three years.

Last month, she began a new role with PR firm Brunswick, where she will focus on reputation management.

In other recent news, it was reported last month that Josh Kettler, the Sussexes' chief of staff, had unexpectedly resigned after just three months.

‘Harry is turning away from all sorts of Hollywood publicists and is seeking counsel from his old friends and associates,’ a source said.

‘He is clearly reaching out thinking, "I need to do something different because what I'm doing is clearly not working". In short, he is rethinking the way he operates.’

Prince Harry's representatives have not responded to requests for comment on these developments.

The possibility of reconciliation with the Royal Family, particularly with King Charles, is on the table.

The King has reportedly consulted with faith leaders on the nature of forgiveness, hinting at a potential thawing of relations.

However, the strained relationship between Prince Harry and his brother, Prince William, is not expected to be quickly resolved.

Friends and former aides are said to be ready to assist Prince Harry in a discreet return to the UK, with some referring to their efforts as Operation Bring Harry In From The Cold.

The strategy involves Harry participating in very low-key royal duties to win back the British public's affection gradually.

However, this would require the acceptance and support of certain family members.

Despite the challenges, Prince Harry has shown signs of softening his stance.

He has decided not to update his controversial memoir, Spare, for its paperback release and has refrained from giving interviews to promote it.

Additionally, he recently joined his brother, Prince William, at a memorial service for their late mother's brother-in-law, although the brothers reportedly did not interact much during the event.

The Royal Family's dynamic is undoubtedly complex, and Prince Harry's latest moves could have significant implications for its future.

As the Duke of Sussex charts his course, the world watches to see how these developments will unfold and what they might mean for the monarchy.
Key Takeaways
  • Prince Harry has reportedly expressed 'no interest' in leaving the United States to resume royal duties in Britain.
  • He has reportedly sought advice from former aides on potentially re-engaging with the UK and rehabilitating his image there.
  • Harry is preparing for a New York trip for charity engagements but has settled in California with his family and has no plans for a permanent UK return.
  • Despite seeking advice on a possible UK return, mending his relationship with Prince William is not seen as a realistic goal. However, there may be openness to reconciling with King Charles.
Do you think Prince Harry should return to royal duties, or is it time for the monarchy to embrace change? How do you feel about the ongoing saga between the Sussexes and the Royal Family? Let's discuss this in the comments below.

Sponsored
I think it would be a very bad idea for Prince Harry to return to the UK. He has proved he cannot be trusted, repeats everything he hears, and what he doesnt hear he makes up in his pea brain.
Prince Harry & his wife are very disliked in the UK and a lot of other countries, therefore are not welcome. I am Australian and I know they are not welcome here after the behaviour of MM when they were here. Wonder...if Trump gets in as President, he has said Prince Harry should be deported because he wasnt truthful in his documents to be in the USA, if he is deported where would he go then?

To forgive is divine. Those who hold grudges are the ones who suffer the most. They are not happy people. If Harry has made a genuine effort to make up with his family with an apology to those he has offended then those who don't accept his apology are very small and narrow minded people. I feel that if his family are not prepared to accept his attempt at apologising then it does not show them in a good light. They should learn that being forgiving and compassionate is a far more acceptable example for the public to see than turning one's back on an apology. Not gracious at all.

What you read and what actually is the truth are not one and the same. Harry needs to follow a straight path of intention in my opinion and it is not going to be straightforward or easy but he has been very hurtful and he has a tough road ahead. But if he is serious then needs to stay the course and show it.

To forgive is divine. Those who hold grudges are the ones who suffer the most. They are not happy people. If Harry has made a genuine effort to make up with his family with an apology to those he has offended then those who don't accept his apology are very small and narrow minded people. I feel that if his family are not prepared to accept his attempt at apologising then it does not show them in a good light. They should learn that being forgiving and compassionate is a far more acceptable example for the public to see than turning one's back on an apology. Not gracious at all.
I heard no mention of an apology.
They are wearing their welcome out in USA where they are becoming irrelevant.
They want to return to the fold, in a limited capacity. Everything their way, not even a hint of an apology. Crawling to old friends that he had turned his back on trying to work his way back in ON HIS TERMS.
They really are a piece of work.

That's a big IF Harry has made a genuine effort...? His and his wife's repeated insults in too many interviews and his book about the family who gave him so much leniency when he was a wild teenager, with a lot of forgiving then. The chip he decided to carry on his shoulder after his marriage and used as a tool to cause the rift was over the top. I do not believe for an instant that he wants to take up any position within the family, I think his wife wants to stir the pot again and, led by the nose, he bends to her will yet again. Bringing his past advisors and friends into it is a rotten thing to do, making them party to another round of hurt for his family. Remember that her family has been slighted over and over and shecstarted bitching within months of the marriage. I would trust neither of them to have changed in any way.

To forgive is divine. Those who hold grudges are the ones who suffer the most. They are not happy people. If Harry has made a genuine effort to make up with his family with an apology to those he has offended then those who don't accept his apology are very small and narrow minded people. I feel that if his family are not prepared to accept his attempt at apologising then it does not show them in a good light. They should learn that being forgiving and compassionate is a far more acceptable example for the public to see than turning one's back on an apology. Not gracious at all.That whingeing

That whingeing, whiney-arsed handler of his told him to throw his granny under a bus. She hauled him in front of the world's media to gloat. Harry is not Megan's husband, he is her pet.

l have no time for either of them.Like mother like son both of them sought attention and pityDiana on tele and Harry writing books.
l must say it was sad Diana died so young and she was very popular and did a look of good things.

Reactions: Rosi Gordon
Didn’t read anything about an apology. Makes a difference and should be more prominent in the media.

Reactions: Rosi Gordon
and you would forgive someone if they wrote a book and put all your dirty linen in it. I do not think so. unless you know the story keep quiet and i find your remarks just a tad syrupy. tell me is your remark gracious????