Romance phishing scams are on the rise: Protect your heart and wallet

Technology has undoubtedly changed the way we live our lives, including how we find love. Online dating has become a popular way for many people to connect with potential partners. However, with the rise of online romance comes an unfortunate uptick in romance phishing scams.

At the Seniors Discount Club, we value our members' safety and want to keep you informed of these threats so you can protect yourself and understand the warning signs.

ADF779BD-250E-4F02-80F5-C27B618B80CC (1).jpg
Caution! Romance phishing scams are increasing rapidly. Source: SDC

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has issued a warning about an increase in romance scams targeting Australians, particularly those seeking companionship through online platforms. One particular case involves a Korean woman claiming to be travelling around Australia in search of a relationship.

The ACCC advises that anyone receiving WhatsApp messages from such an individual should be cautious, as the conversation ultimately leads to a cryptocurrency investment scam. If you receive these types of messages, the best course of action is to ignore them, block the number, and delete the message. You never know who's behind that screen, so it’s better to be safe than sorry!

These romance scammers are sneaky; they often pose as someone genuinely looking for a relationship and initiate conversations with unsuspecting victims, showering them with flattery and love confessions. Once the victim is drawn in, the scammer will spin a compelling story about why they can't meet in person, typically leading to a request for money.

The Bank of Queensland has also reported a rise in these types of scams, with initial contact from scammers occurring on various platforms, including dating sites, social media sites, and even gaming portals. Ben Griffin, a spokesperson from the bank, highlights some red flags to watch out for, such as rapid declarations of love and affection, unavailability for in-person meetings, and emotional manipulation.

For those who fall victim to these scams, the consequences can be devastating. Not only do the victims lose significant sums of money, but they also suffer the heartbreak of a false connection that may have spanned months or even years.

In 2021 alone, over 3,400 dating and romance scams were reported to the ACCC. Australian Federal Police cybercrime operations commander Chris Goldsmid reveals that criminals often invest significant time–sometimes years–building what appears to be a 'legitimate relationship' with their victim. These scams target people from all walks of life and often involve elaborate stories to tug at the heartstrings.

To help our SDC members stay safe in their quest for love, we recommend the following precautions:​

1. Be cautious with new contacts, especially if they quickly express strong feelings for you.

2. Avoid sharing personal or financial information, such as bank details, with people you've only met online.

3. If someone you've met online asks for money, no matter how compelling their story may be, treat it as a warning sign and seek advice before taking any action.

4. Research the person's photo and profile using online search tools to check the legitimacy of their identity.

5. Trust your instincts – if something feels off, it probably is.

How to Report a Romance Scam​

If you have been the victim of a romance scam, it is important to report it. Reporting can help the authorities to track down the criminals and bring them to justice. It also helps to protect other potential victims from being scammed.

The first step is to report the scam to your local law enforcement. If you do not feel comfortable with reporting the incident to your local police station, you can contact the Australian Cybercrime Online Reporting Network (ACORN) by filling out their online form.

You may also want to contact your bank or financial institution and request a chargeback for any money that you have sent to the criminals. In Australia, consumers are protected against scams if they have made a purchase with a major bank, credit card, or debit card.

It can collect any evidence you may have regarding the scam. For example, this can include online conversations and any payments or requests for money. You should also inform any of your family and friends who may have been in contact with the scammer.

It is important to note that it may not be possible to recover money lost in a romance scam, but by reporting what has happened, you can help to protect others from becoming victims.

Key Takeaways

• Australians are being warned about a rise in romance scams, which prey on vulnerable people who may be looking for a partner.
  • The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission have seen reports of a scam involving a Korean woman who claims she is travelling around the country which eventually leads to a cryptocurrency investment scam.
  • Bank of Queensland said that these scams happen increasingly often, with initial contact from a scammer occurring on various platforms like dating sites, social media sites, and gaming portals.
  • In 2021 alone, more than 3,400 dating and romance scams were reported to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, and the Australian Federal Police stated that anyone can be a target for these scams.
Remember, love is a wonderful thing to find, but it's better to be cautious and protective than to put your heart and wallet at risk. Members, have you personally encountered this situation? Feel free to share your experience and provide some helpful tips. Stay safe!

Last edited:
Sponsored
Technology has undoubtedly changed the way we live our lives, including how we find love. Online dating has become a popular way for many people to connect with potential partners. However, with the rise of online romance comes an unfortunate uptick in romance phishing scams.

At the Seniors Discount Club, we value our members' safety and want to keep you informed of these threats so you can protect yourself and understand the warning signs.

View attachment 20375

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has issued a warning about an increase in romance scams targeting Australians, particularly those seeking companionship through online platforms. One particular case involves a Korean woman claiming to be travelling around Australia in search of a relationship.

The ACCC advises that anyone receiving WhatsApp messages from such an individual should be cautious, as the conversation ultimately leads to a cryptocurrency investment scam. If you receive these types of messages, the best course of action is to ignore them, block the number, and delete the message. You never know who's behind that screen, so it’s better to be safe than sorry!

These romance scammers are sneaky; they often pose as someone genuinely looking for a relationship and initiate conversations with unsuspecting victims, showering them with flattery and love confessions. Once the victim is drawn in, the scammer will spin a compelling story about why they can't meet in person, typically leading to a request for money.

The Bank of Queensland has also reported a rise in these types of scams, with initial contact from scammers occurring on various platforms, including dating sites, social media sites, and even gaming portals. Ben Griffin, a spokesperson from the bank, highlights some red flags to watch out for, such as rapid declarations of love and affection, unavailability for in-person meetings, and emotional manipulation.

For those who fall victim to these scams, the consequences can be devastating. Not only do the victims lose significant sums of money, but they also suffer the heartbreak of a false connection that may have spanned months or even years.

In 2021 alone, over 3,400 dating and romance scams were reported to the ACCC. Australian Federal Police cybercrime operations commander Chris Goldsmid reveals that criminals often invest significant time–sometimes years–building what appears to be a 'legitimate relationship' with their victim. These scams target people from all walks of life and often involve elaborate stories to tug at the heartstrings.

To help our SDC members stay safe in their quest for love, we recommend the following precautions:​

1. Be cautious with new contacts, especially if they quickly express strong feelings for you.

2. Avoid sharing personal or financial information, such as bank details, with people you've only met online.

3. If someone you've met online asks for money, no matter how compelling their story may be, treat it as a warning sign and seek advice before taking any action.

4. Research the person's photo and profile using online search tools to check the legitimacy of their identity.

If you have been the victim of a romance scam, it is important to report it. Reporting can help the authorities to track down the criminals and bring them to justice. It also helps to protect other potential victims from being scammed.

The first step is to report the scam to your local law enforcement. If you do not feel comfortable with reporting the incident to your local police station, you can contact the Australian Cybercrime Online Reporting Network (ACORN) by filling out their online form.

You may also want to contact your bank or financial institution and request a chargeback for any money that you have sent to the criminals. In Australia, consumers are protected against scams if they have made a purchase with a major bank, credit card, or debit card.

It can collect any evidence you may have regarding the scam. For example, this can include online conversations and any payments or requests for money. You should also inform any of your family and friends who may have been in contact with the scammer.

It is important to note that it may not be possible to recover money lost in a romance scam, but by reporting what has happened, you can help to protect others from becoming victims.

Key Takeaways

• Australians are being warned about a rise in romance scams, which prey on vulnerable people who may be looking for a partner.
  • The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission have seen reports of a scam involving a Korean woman who claims she is travelling around the country which eventually leads to a cryptocurrency investment scam.
  • Bank of Queensland said that these scams happen increasingly often, with initial contact from a scammer occurring on various platforms like dating sites, social media sites, and gaming portals.
  • In 2021 alone, more than 3,400 dating and romance scams were reported to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, and the Australian Federal Police stated that anyone can be a target for these scams.
Remember, love is a wonderful thing to find, but it's better to be cautious and protective than to put your heart and wallet at risk. Members, have you personally encountered this situation? Feel free to share your experience and provide some helpful tips. Stay safe!
Being old is not a reason for stupidity. Who really wants to wash someones dirty socks and undies?

Anyone who falls for these types of scams these days have been definitely standing behind the door when the brains were handed out. Come on people we are old enough to know better. 😇 I'll tell you what, if you want to throw money away, Hummingbird House in Brisbane could do with some donations and I believe it also a tax deduction.💞

It's a shame they do this, as there would be countless numbers of people honestly hopeful of finding a life partner and they end up having their hearts broken even further.

As of today, I have had 29 emails 13 Ukrainian site and five Russian site notifications and 14 text me notifications from woman. All totally aside from the clickbait scams.

I am living the life of a rock God and so I do expect a MASSIVE amount of wealth to occur this year, or why would I be getting lessons in how to ignore all the attention.

The weird thing is WHERE do they come from?

The only thing I can figure is I joined match .com about 15 years ago for a year, while living in Brisbane, as I was trying to find a likeminded woman.

And since the start of this year, I am being FLOODED with attention. Of course, being an incredibly interesting articulate and a highly talented man with massive prospects I do understand the clamor.

Its just that usually women like this usually have to smell money first. So, the good news is, they all must know something truly marvelous is going to happen for me soon!

Those that lose THOUSANDS to strangers? I have no sympathies as that's just plain silly, in my opinion.

View attachment 20375

Key Takeaways

It's a shame they do this, as there would be countless numbers of people honestly hopeful of finding a life partner and they end up having their hearts broken even further.

As of today, I have had 29 emails 13 Ukrainian site and five Russian site notifications and 14 text me notifications from woman. All totally aside from the clickbait scams.

I am living the life of a rock God and so I do expect a MASSIVE amount of wealth to occur this year, or why would I be getting lessons in how to ignore all the attention.

The weird thing is WHERE do they come from?

The only thing I can figure is I joined match .com about 15 years ago for a year, while living in Brisbane, as I was trying to find a likeminded woman.

And since the start of this year, I am being FLOODED with attention. Of course, being an incredibly interesting articulate and a highly talented man with massive prospects I do understand the clamor.

Its just that usually women like this usually have to smell money first. So, the good news is, they all must know something truly marvelous is going to happen for me soon!

Those that lose THOUSANDS to strangers? I have no sympathies as that's just plain silly, in my opinion.
I think I may have got contacted through an old dating site I joined some years ago after my husband had died. I did cancel my membership as nobody lived anywhere near me. Now being the glamorous person I am……no doubt being five years older now, I could be a dream to somebody….yeah right….

Yes, it's a hard one, this looking for a significant other Especially as by now she would either be totally amazing or a lot to sort out. Any prospective (an unfortunate choice of words) partner, could live on ELM STREET. ha ha ha

Reactions: Jarred Santos
Yes it is hard.I gave up on those dating sites years ago.Very few where i live want women there own age and the ones that do never commit to meeting in person scammers i think

Yes it is hard.I gave up on those dating sites years ago.Very few where i live want women there own age and the ones that do never commit to meeting in person scammers i think
Yes, I do agree. And their forms DO NOT allow a person to identify their life attitude, nature, or their heart/mind interests, so no true commonality is being shared at all hey.

There are so many scammers, and though people may write well, I find it best to meet someone face to face, that's the only way to truly know if there's any zing happening, hey Argie.

Most of the amazing women that do both internally appeal and share a great commonality with me, are mostly married, or if they express interest in me, I find no zing between us.

I am way below my age in regard to appearance and my life attitude. I have long blonde hair down past my shoulders.

For many women in my age range this is evidently not that widely accepted. Also, my special interests and life experiences, which basically describe who I have overtime become, do not easily fit with others of my age group.

I'm a creative writer, with many long-term creative arts interests, and so in all honestly, I am rarely if ever lonely, as I love life and I've basically lived alone so far for well over half of it. No doubt in amongst the many amazing adventures ahead, she'll appear, and it will be clear, that she has been worth the wait.

I truly do hope that you find who you're looking for too Argie.

I think this is what's particularly cruel about romance scams. These nasty louts twist and warp the human need to connect and take advantage of it :(

Reactions: Pink lion
I think this is what's particularly cruel about romance scams. These nasty louts twist and warp the human need to connect and take advantage of it :(
I agree with you mate. You would I suggest, also know it to be true Jarred, about the number of young guys at school, who later turned into men that really had no true regard or respect for women at all. And they had no problem in sharing it even though all of them married and had kids.

So many in shiny bright cars playing a game, that truly is played equally on the other side, by like-minded women.

Trench wars or she's the bomb just a couple of apt titles for the game of chance and consequence destroying lives bored game that is played by millions who battle it out right now.

I do believe in Love. I have had momentary glimpses of it myself and I have met many long-term experiencers of love.

I find it beautiful to see how two bonded people really can fully appreciate enhance and support one another's differences and live a wonder filled life because of it, so I do know that mutually expressed Love is not a fiction.

Those that make it their business to deliberately manipulate and crush another's heart for their entertainment while stealing their life savings, to me are like murderers.

I have no time for these people at all Jarred. Not just for what they do to the hearts of people who put trust in them, but because of what their actions do to taint the minds of others.

I agree with you mate. You would I suggest, also know it to be true Jarred, about the number of young guys at school, who later turned into men that really had no true regard or respect for women at all. And they had no problem in sharing it even though all of them married and had kids.

So many in shiny bright cars playing a game, that truly is played equally on the other side, by like-minded women.

Trench wars or she's the bomb just a couple of apt titles for the game of chance and consequence destroying lives bored game that is played by millions who battle it out right now.

I do believe in Love. I have had momentary glimpses of it myself and I have met many long-term experiencers of love.

I find it beautiful to see how two bonded people really can fully appreciate enhance and support one another's differences and live a wonder filled life because of it, so I do know that mutually expressed Love is not a fiction.

Those that make it their business to deliberately manipulate and crush another's heart for their entertainment while stealing their life savings, to me are like murderers.

I have no time for these people at all Jarred. Not just for what they do to the hearts of people who put trust in them, but because of what their actions do to taint the minds of others.
Well said as always, @Pink lion! It's heartbreaking to think about all the people whose emotions were played with all in the name of money. Sickening, really...

Last edited:
Yes, I do agree. And their forms DO NOT allow a person to identify their life attitude, nature, or their heart/mind interests, so no true commonality is being shared at all hey.

There are so many scammers, and though people may write well, I find it best to meet someone face to face, that's the only way to truly know if there's any zing happening, hey Argie.

Most of the amazing women that do both internally appeal and share a great commonality with me, are mostly married, or if they express interest in me, I find no zing between us.

I am way below my age in regard to appearance and my life attitude. I have long blonde hair down past my shoulders.

For many women in my age range this is evidently not that widely accepted. Also, my special interests and life experiences, which basically describe who I have overtime become, do not easily fit with others of my age group.

I'm a creative writer, with many long-term creative arts interests, and so in all honestly, I am rarely if ever lonely, as I love life and I've basically lived alone so far for well over half of it. No doubt in amongst the many amazing adventures ahead, she'll appear, and it will be clear, that she has been worth the wait.

I truly do hope that you find who you're looking for too Argie.
Thank you for your kind words Pink Lion😊

Reactions: Pink lion