Rocky Star tragically dies at 83: How Burt Young's legendary ‘tough guy’ role earned him an Oscar nod

Best known for his iconic role as Paulie Pennino in the Rocky franchise, Hollywood icon Burt Young sadly passed away earlier this month on October 8 in Los Angeles at the age of 83.

Young left an indelible mark on cinema with his unforgettable tough-guy persona.

His daughter, Anne Morea Steingieser, confirmed the star’s passing. However, the exact cause of his death remains unknown.

Born as Gerald Tommaso DeLouise on April 30, 1940, in Queens, New York, Young developed a passion for boxing from an early age and had the chance to train under famed boxing manager Cus D'Amato.

Before pursuing a career in acting, Young also served with the United States Marine Corps from 1957 to 1959.

SDC Images (5).png
Burt Young, known for his role as Paulie Pennino in Rocky, has died at the age of 83. Image source: Facebook/Burt Young.

Among his early roles was 1969’s The Doctors, where he played an uncredited role of a bartender, and 1970's Carnival of Blood, where he played his first credited role as Gimpy, kicking off a prolific career spanning over 160 films and TV shows.

Young also starred in films such as Chinatown (1974), starring Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunaway, as well as Once Upon A Time In America (1984).

But it was the role of a lifetime that would cement Young's legacy—that of Paulie Pennino, brother to Adrian (played by Talia Shire), in 1976's Rocky.

In 2017, Young opened up about getting his iconic role in the Rocky franchise, saying: 'Sylvester comes to me. He introduces himself. "You gotta do this part." I said, "I'm gonna do it," and he lit up like a pumpkin.'

'We've been very close ever since. He's a friendly guy, Sylvester. Very intelligent, very quick,' Young added.

He also commented on his age and being able to work decades in the industry, saying: 'All I have to do is look in the mirror. My name is Young, Burt Young. I'm eternally young.'

He also recalled taking on the esteemed role in 2009, saying: 'I was on the MGM lot when Sly Stallone came over and introduced himself to me, told me he wrote Rocky and said, "You gotta do it."'

'I wanted to do it right away, but I wanted to twist their arms a little bit, not look too eager,' the actor admitted.

'I thought the script had the cleanest street prose I'd ever read. Stallone is not only a workaholic, he's a genius who is always looking three years ahead. He has a real eyeball for what's going on in the world.'

It was for his performance in the 1976 Rocky film that Young received a nomination for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor. However, it was Josh Robards from All The President’s Men who took home the award.

Beyond films, Young enjoyed memorable roles in TV shows such as Law & Order, M*A*S*H, and Miami Vice. He also branched out into theatre, writing two plays such as SOS and a historical novel with the title Endings.

SDC 2.jpg
Young also loved painting. Image source: Facebook/Burt Young.

The actor was also an avid painter, and some of his own work was featured in the 2006 film Rocky Balboa.

Young leaves behind a truly iconic legacy. As his Rocky co-star Sylvester Stallone mourned, 'To my dear friend, BURT YOUNG, you were an incredible man and artist, [the world and I] will miss you very much...RIP.'

Other users on social media expressed their condolences in the comment section, with one saying: 'Rest in peace, Burt Young... He was a great man, this is so sad...'

While another commented: 'Rocky taught me that a friend can be imperfect, moody and stubborn, but a good friend never abandons us, like Paulie. Thanks for being part of my childhood, Burt!'

You can read Stallone’s full post below:

Source: Instagram/@officialslystallone.

Key Takeaways
  • Burt Young, best known for his role as Paulie Pennino in the Rocky franchise, has passed away at the age of 83 in Los Angeles.
  • His daughter, Anne Morea Steingieser, confirmed the actor's death, but the cause of death has not been disclosed.
  • Burt Young had a long and successful Hollywood career, starring in over 160 film and television projects, including famous films such as Chinatown and Once Upon A Time In America.
  • Besides acting, Young also wrote two stage plays, a historical novel titled Endings, and was an accomplished painter.
Our thoughts are with Burt Young’s family, friends, colleagues, and fans. The star may have passed, but his legacy remains. May his soul rest in peace.

Members, were you a fan of his? What is your favourite film or television show of Burt Young? Share them with us in the comments below!

• Sad
Reactions: janj
Sponsored