Rocky star and The Mandalorian actor passes away at 76

Carl Weathers, an athlete turned Hollywood star known for his iconic roles in the Rocky series and The Mandalorian, has passed away at the age of 76.

His manager, Matt Luber, confirmed the news, stating that Weathers died ‘peacefully in his sleep’.

His family issued a statement expressing their grief and thanking fans for their support during this difficult time.

Weathers, a versatile actor who was as comfortable flexing his muscles in action-packed roles as he was delivering comedic performances, leaves behind a legacy that spans decades.

His most memorable role was arguably that of Apollo Creed, the cocky, undisputed heavyweight world champion in the Rocky series, starring alongside Sylvester Stallone.

EeMQ-ckQ_400x400.jpg
Carl Weathers, known for his role as Apollo Creed in Rocky, died at 76. Credit: @TheCarlWeathers / X

The character of Apollo Creed first appeared in 1976's Rocky and quickly became a fan favourite.

Weathers' portrayal of Creed was so impactful that it not only put him on the Hollywood map but also led to the character's continued presence in the first four Rocky movies.

Weathers once told The Daily Beast, 'It puts you on the map and makes your career, so to speak. But that's a one-off, so you've got to follow it up with something.’

‘Fortunately, those movies kept coming, and Apollo Creed became more and more in people's consciousness and welcomed in their lives, and it was just the right guy at the right time.'

Apollo Creed's character was a significant part of the Rocky series. He was introduced as Rocky Balboa's nemesis in the first film, but their relationship evolved into a deep friendship in the sequels.

Creed's tragic death in the ring during Rocky IV, after a brutal fight with the Soviet boxer Ivan Drago, played by Dolph Lundgren, was a pivotal moment in the series.

You can watch this iconic scene below (Disclaimer: It includes graphic scenes):

Credit: Movie Clips / YouTube

However, Creed's legacy lived on through his son, Adonis Creed, played by Michael B. Jordan, who led his own boxing trilogy starting in 2015. The series allowed Weathers' influence on the Rocky franchise to continue, even after his character's death.

Beyond the Rocky series, Weathers showcased his acting prowess in a variety of roles. He starred alongside Arnold Schwarzenegger in the 1987 action film Predator and delivered a memorable performance in the 1988 blaxploitation flick Action Jackson.

Weathers also demonstrated his comedic chops in the 1996 comedy classic Happy Gilmore, where he played a golf pro with a wooden hand.

His role in the short-lived spin-off series Chicago Justice in 2017 and his Emmy-nominated performance in Disney's The Mandalorian further showcased his versatility as an actor.

EnVDTNDWMAE6NbL.jpeg
Carl Weathers also played a role in Disney’s The Mandalorian. Credit: @TheCarlWeathers / X

Born and raised in New Orleans, Weathers began performing in plays as early as grade school. However, his athletic prowess led him down a different path in high school.

He played college football at San Diego State University, where he also majored in theatre and went on to play for the Oakland Raiders in the NFL for one season in 1970.

‘When I found football, it was a completely different outlet,’ Weathers said.

‘It was more about the physicality, although one does feed the other.’

‘You needed some smarts because there were playbooks to study and film to study, to learn about the opposition on any given week.’

After his stint in the NFL, Weathers joined the Canadian Football League, playing for two years while finishing his studies during the offseason at San Francisco State University.

He graduated with a B.A. in drama in 1974.

Weathers' transition from professional sports to acting was not an easy one.

However, his determination and talent eventually led to roles in several films and TV shows, including Good Times, The Six Million Dollar Man, In the Heat of the Night, and Starsky & Hutch. He also landed a role fighting Nazis alongside Harrison Ford in Force 10 From Navarone.

His big break came when he landed the role of Apollo Creed in the Rocky series despite having no boxing experience. This role catapulted him to stardom and solidified his place in Hollywood.

Weathers read a scene with Stallone but felt it didn’t land, so he blurted out, ‘I could do a lot better if you got me a real actor to work with.’

‘So I just insulted the star of the movie without really knowing it and not intending to.’

Weathers' impact on Hollywood extends beyond his roles.

He was a trailblazer for African-American actors in the industry, following in the footsteps of actors like Sidney Poitier and Harry Belafonte and athletes-turned-actors like Jim Brown and Muhammad Ali.

He also got into directing, starting with the episodes of Silk Stalking and the Lorenzo Lamas vehicle Renegade. He also directed a season three episode of The Mandalorian.

Weathers made a mark on a new group of people by playing a cheap and crafty actor in Arrested Development.

In the show, he's part of a messed-up family. Weathers’ character saves money by making soup from leftover food and even becomes a coach for Tobias Funke (played by David Cross), a not-so-talented actor, for the right amount of money.

In a 2023 interview with the Detroit News, Weathers said, 'There are so many people that came before me who I admired and whose success I wanted to emulate, and just kind of hit the benchmarks they hit in terms of success, who created a pathway that I've been able to walk and find success as a result.’

‘And hopefully, I can inspire someone else to do good work as well.'

‘I guess I’m just a lucky guy,’ he added.

Weathers is survived by his two sons.
Key Takeaways

• Carl Weathers, an actor known for his role as Apollo Creed in the Rocky series, has passed away at the age of 76.
  • Weathers once played as a linebacker in the NFL with the Oakland Raiders and in the Canadian Football League.
  • His portrayal of Apollo Creed became iconic, with the character appearing in the first four Rocky movies and inspiring a spinoff series centred on Creed’s son.
  • Weathers had a varied acting career, including roles in Predator, Happy Gilmore, and the TV series Arrested Development, and he also directed episodes of television, including one for The Mandalorian.
His passing is a significant loss to the film industry, but his legacy will continue to inspire future generations of actors and athletes.

His performances, particularly as Apollo Creed, will remain etched in the hearts of fans worldwide.

Sponsored