Robodebt victims to finally get long-awaited settlement payments – here's the good news (and the bad news)

The government heralded Robodebt as a game-changing instrument in the fight against benefit fraud when it was first introduced in 2015.

This system used data matching algorithms to compare information about a person's annual income from the Australian Tax Office with information about their fortnightly welfare payments from Centrelink.

It was supposed to be a 'flawless' system; however, Robodebt's averaging system proved to be problematic and occasionally inaccurate when calculating actual sums owed by individuals.

ZlBViQOx4ZqrncH2ejVEi236QLkDZ0iIFkQXPPVpoovRnfv-2brnmNOW6v6VBN1GmeG_v7e02qTV1uzhrs-ZM14ssN5srNWUCXzkvTuJzeLzIjx9QSNDfTwbXz_HBoXM8Xci4h8M26Z6gMYfg96hH8_2CqS22QH66lwc1YB9Wi_qpfY4Ds_6gFEE6A

When Robodebt was first introduced in 2015, the government said it would be a game-changer in the fight against fraud in the benefits system. Credit: AAP.

Nearly 381,000 people unintentionally contributed $750 million to the system as a result of the automated welfare collection scheme, where they were falsely informed that they owed Centrelink money.

Many Australians have spoken publicly about the financial and emotional toll that being wrongly charged thousands of dollars in sudden debt has taken on their lives as a result of this controversy. Many people were harassed by debt collectors or had their earnings and tax returns withheld to cover their debts.

Some people have even blamed the system for losing a family member, including Jenny Miller from the Gold Coast, whose son Rhys took his own life after being pressed by Centrelink and debt collectors to pay $28,000.

Gordon Legal, a law company based in Melbourne, filed a class action lawsuit challenging the scheme and ultimately reached a settlement that will be paid out to those who are eligible.

In 2019, the Federal Court ruled that Robodebt was unlawful, and the government agreed to repay all of the debts accrued through the program as a result of the class action case.

Sw7aO0r90PZawV9nbwLsa1lqOy8LJQ3MhktI8zUd4Q4xdZ3_oGHeYWuHHaovvDYsBO-o-CYtJlMCzPwWfpuwHBYn1j7FHHMYpTvEoz0I65Np3kskGf18AXsBN4x_Kd2iSOovAoJWuYiw-62oUvJmsOSVriStdYsiALCpG9UO1nWlUkalxI2t3cyPbA

Services Australia has provided an update more than a year after a landmark court settlement. Credit: Getty.

This month, Services Australia, which is the government body overseeing the settlement, announced that before the end of September, settlement payments for nearly 400,000 victims are expected.

Most people are being warned not to anticipate a windfall, though, as around half of the settlement amounts will only range between $50 and $300.

This link will take you to further information about the class action settlement and whether or not you are eligible to receive a settlement.

This is what the notice on Services Australia's website says: 'We've finished calculating settlement payments for eligible registered group members of the Robodebt class action. This is also known as the Income Compliance class action.'

'Eligible registered group members will get a letter from 5 September 2022 with the amount of their settlement payment. Everyone should receive their payment by 30 September 2022.'

'Most people won't get large amounts of money as a settlement payment. Around half of the settlement payments are between $50 and $300.'

'Some eligible group members who only repaid small amounts may get less than $10 as a settlement payment. People who paid back more, or were without their money for longer, will get larger payments.'

109jqt2hU4Dz3J4guZFAh3q7vzOK0GlKXZdVrOvWZpgqRYZYhl8k1f6WY1u_unku8i0ca_dgsLlorAEGfJmcaglgkoefUGqJUMEw7jb_M_Jq-in5G1qxkISbtEkUcMso94Is-lLcR4h9CNIf6kc9vln0_TLbs0pZpCAe5-KWJSgVzBYjQt0zs_IBfQ

It did say, however, that most of the payments to the victims would be small. Credit: 9News.

The total settlement amount was $112 million, with Gordon Legal receiving $10 million and the rest going to distribution (a total of $101.7 million).

'Eligible registered group members are getting settlement payments from the distribution sum, similar to the interest they could've earned on the debt repayments they made,' Services Australia added.

'Settlement payments were calculated for all eligible registered group members according to the settlement terms and orders made by the Federal Court.'

Refunds, which have reportedly already been paid in the majority of cases, are different from settlement payouts.

It was stated in August by Prime Minister Anthony Albanese that a royal commission would be established to investigate the Robodebt crisis.

'We know that almost 400,000 Australians fell victim to this cruel system. A human tragedy with very real consequences for its victims,' Albanese said.

Catherine Holmes, a former judge who led an investigation into the Queensland floods in 2010 and 2011, was chosen to be the head of the royal commission. By April 2023, she will give the governor-general her final report.

The report will look into the scheme's implementation, the advice that was used, and the outcome of any complaints lodged. The cost to the taxpayer and how it was handled afterwards will also be looked into.

SMgeFSccRMo_PRdXWOZVfsMCFWZa-GFsX0n8HZdv9Ntb-DQVvxGYk2Jo9V6Qgf7owbqaG4lBVUylA8NkOX1VvbqwhmXHdJT1_1IxuNdFB6U70OPOIMZF5WqDezObcYZeoQ0bMf776O9aB2OoC2vGi-jMoVxQGdKq20MhEZ64pzxvvMi_PbCjvVe9vw

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said in August that a royal commission would be set up to look into the Robodebt crisis. Credit: AAP.

Members, please don't be afraid to call 13 11 14 to talk to Lifeline if you're ever struggling. You can also call Beyond Blue at 1300 224 636 for more information on depression, or you can make an appointment to discuss a mental health treatment plan with your doctor.

If you or someone you know needs assistance, consider the following helpful resources:
Members, please be safe and know that you are always supported and are never truly alone in this community.

Reactions: Ricci
Sponsored
A very dishonest organisation, any employee attached to the Robodebt scheme should be looking at manslaughter charges at worst and at best a prison sentence.

Why they didn't do manual checks on a new computer program is beyond me in my job before I retired we put in computer systems but for at least 12 months we checked that the system was correct. I hope these people are also paid interest and a fine for the Government

I was asked to pay back $800 for over payment, when I complained they asked to provide the last two years bank statements after which they decided that I owed them $1800. I went to court where I showed how their calculations where wrong & they got Centrrlink to cancel the debit & pay back the money already paid.

I moved to the country and the only work I could get was to run the federal election interstate voting for two weeks, then census field officer for two months. Centrelink ruled they were seasonal jobs and withheld my benefits for several weeks after my employment ceased. I worked very hard for no net increase in income over the five months.
(Seasonal work is crayfishing, fruit picking and other highly paid annual short-term jobs)
I moved back to the city, got a job at Centrelink and purchased another home.
I learnt that I couldn't appeal the ruling as there's a three month cut-off.
Centrelink has new rules all the time, sometimes contradictory to old rules, mostly just complicating an already archaic system, as every successive government wants to show they are addressing the Centrelink 'problem'.
I was advised I was a robodebt victim so look forward to a payout.
I'm happy to be back in suburbia, close to my grandchildren and I have Centrelink to thank for that.