Robert Irwin reveals surprising injury hours before Logie Awards

In a turn of events that sounds like it's straight out of an action-packed wildlife documentary, Robert Irwin, the young conservationist and TV personality, faced a harrowing encounter just hours before gracing the red carpet at the 2024 Logie Awards.

The 20-year-old son of the late Steve Irwin, who has followed in his father's intrepid footsteps, shared a startling revelation with red carpet hosts Dr Chris Brown and Sonia Kruger at The Star in Sydney.

He detailed a crocodile-related injury that could have sidelined anyone else.

Robert, who has become an iconic figure in the world of wildlife conservation and entertainment, explained that he had come 'straight in from catching crocodiles up north,'

'I just got my head smashed into a tree,' he casually mentioned, leaving viewers and the hosts taken aback by his nonchalant delivery of such a dramatic experience.

1724294332873.png
Robert Irwin sustained a crocodile-related injury hours before the Logie Awards. Credit: @robertirwinphotography / Instagram

‘I was on a croc’s head; it was a big makeup job, but I’m here, I’m excited, and we are pumped, and I get to do it with one of my best mates, which is awesome,’ he added.

He expressed his excitement about being at the event and sharing the experience with one of his best mates, Julia Morris, his co-host from the reality show I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here!

Contrary to expectations, Robert's plus-one for the evening wasn't his mother, Terri Irwin, but Morris and his publicity team members.

This unexpected choice sparked a flurry of social media commentary, with fans humorously noting his mother's absence and playfully referring to Morris as his 'TV mum.'

One said, ‘Looks like he ditched helicopter mum for TV mum,’

‘Surprised Mummy let Robert out by himself.’ another joked.

‘It’s unusual for him not to have his mother with him, even in the jungle,’ a third added.

The mother-son duo, Terri and Robert, are known for their close relationship, which has sometimes drawn criticism from those who perceive Terri's involvement in her son's endeavours as overbearing.

Despite this, Terri's support for her son's career and passion for wildlife conservation has been unwavering, as evidenced by her accompanying him on international trips, including a journey to Africa to film I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! and a visit to the US.

On the day of the Logies, Robert took to social media to share a video showcasing his transition 'from Croc country to the Logies red carpet. '

His sister, Bindi Irwin, and the entire team back at the Steve Irwin Wildlife Reserve expressed their support and pride.

‘The best!’ Bindi cheered.

‘The entire Croc Trip team is cheering for you back here on the Steve Irwin Wildlife Reserve. We can’t wait! Super proud of you.'

Despite not being present on the red carpet, Terri Irwin also shared her excitement and encouragement for her son.

‘We are super excited! Go Robert!’ she said.

In other news, 20-year-old Robert Irwin was nominated for the Gold Logie Award, one of Australia's top television honours.

In addition to the Gold Logie, he competed for the Bert Newton Award for Most Popular Presenter, where he faces seasoned industry professionals and a former Silver Logie winner. Read more about it here.
Key Takeaways
  • Conservationist Robert Irwin suffered a crocodile-related injury hours before the Logie Awards.
  • On the red carpet, he revealed that his head got smashed into a tree while capturing crocodiles.
  • Robert attended the event with Julia Morris and members of his publicity team rather than his mother, Terri Irwin.
  • Social media users commented on his choice of company, noting the absence of his mother, with whom he usually has a close bond.
Have you ever had an unexpected turn of events right before a big occasion? How did you handle it? Share your stories with us in the comments below.

Sponsored