Rising issue of pet waste: Lack of fines sparks health and environmental concerns

As we stroll through our local parks and sidewalks, we might not give a second thought to the occasional dog poo left unattended.

However, this seemingly minor issue could have larger implications for our health and the environment, and it appears that fines for irresponsible dog ownership enforcement are less stringent than one might expect.

A recent survey of 12 councils across seven states and territories revealed a surprising lack of fines for failing to dispose of dog feces.

Dog ownership in Australia has soared since the pandemic, with nearly half of all Australian households now owning a dog.

This increase in furry friends has led to more canine droppings on our streets and parks.

1725508755156.png
Fines for not cleaning up dog waste were rarely issued, raising health and environmental concerns. Credit: Shutterstock

While many of us love our four-legged companions, not all owners diligently clean up after them.

The issue is not just about the unsightliness or inconvenience of stepping around dog poo.

The concern extends to the potential health risks and environmental impact.

Urban diversity research fellow Kylie Soanes from the University of Melbourne pointed out that dog feces can add harmful nutrients and bacteria to the environment.

‘While it's tempting to think that 'it's just a part of nature', we have to remember that it's not really,’ she explained.

'The food that went into your dog didn't come from the natural environment, so it's adding new things (high nutrient, factory processed dog food) to the system,'

Enforcing fines for not picking up after pets seems rare despite the potential risks.

For instance, the City of Brisbane was the only local council that issued an on-the-spot fine for failing to dispose of dog feces in the past year.

The City of Darwin, with the highest penalties, charges $528 on the spot and up to $9250 as a maximum court-imposed penalty.

‘All of our parks and dog-friendly public spaces have bins and litter bags available to make it quick and easy for people to do the right thing,’ a City of Darwin spokesperson said.

Yet, no court penalties were issued.

In New South Wales, an immediate penalty of $275 is consistent across several councils, with a maximum court penalty of $880.

Queensland councils follow closely, with on-the-spot penalties of $322.

Other states, including Victoria, South Australia, and Tasmania, reported on-the-spot penalties of around $200.

The difficulty in identifying offenders and a lack of public reporting are the main reasons for the scarcity of fines.

Soanes suggested that there might be more effective solutions than fining people, considering the resources required to catch people in the act.

‘I can't see fining people working, only because I can't imagine the resources required to catch people in the act,’

Some councils have attempted to address the issue with different approaches.

For example, Glen Eira Council in Victoria issued an Official Warning to an offender caught on security camera pretending to pick up dog litter.

‘As you can appreciate, unless a council ranger happens to witness the offence [of leaving dog poo behind], it wouldn't be possible to issue a fine due to investigative restrictions such as the identity of the dog and owner,’ an Onkaparinga council spokesperson said.

Glen Eira Council in Victoria stated that their most recent official warning was issued in October 2022 ‘where the offender was caught on a security camera 'pretending' to pick up the dog litter and did not return to remove it.’

In the past year, the City of Perth issued eight verbal warnings to dog owners who failed to clean up after their pets, imposing a modest $100 fine.

The lack of an effective management system means dog owners must take greater responsibility for disposing of their dog's waste.

1725508815238.png
Rising dog ownership led to more waste in public areas despite available bins and bags. Credit: Shutterstock

Leaving dog poo unattended is not just a nuisance but a health hazard, especially for those with prams, wheelchairs, or small children.

Soanes emphasises that dog owners must be more diligent about cleaning up after their pets without an effective management system.

‘It's also just a really awful problem to leave for others to deal with,’ she said.

‘While many people just think of stepping around it, that's not always easy for people with prams, wheelchairs, or small children in tow.’
Key Takeaways

• A survey of 12 councils across Australia has found that fines for not disposing of dog faeces are rarely issued, which poses health and environmental concerns.
  • Dog ownership has increased nationwide, leading to more dog waste in public areas despite the availability of bins and litter bags.
  • The City of Darwin imposes the highest on-the-spot fines for dog poo disposal violations, with hefty penalties also in other states and territories.
  • There is difficulty enforcing fines due to challenges in identifying offenders, and some councils have reported using warnings and verbal cautions instead of monetary penalties.
Have you noticed an increase in dog waste in your area? Do you think more should be done to enforce the disposal of dog poo? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
I have noticed around where I walk my dog there is an increase of people not picking up after their dogs. With my dog, before we walk I say to him “go toilet” and more often than not I don’t have to pick up after him while we’re out. I always take bags just in case but it doesn’t happen too often - he’s a good boy lol

Just lazy dog owners who don’t give a s—t. We used to have problems with our neighbours letting their dogs out to poop on other people’s yards instead of their own. Hubby used to pick it up and throw onto neighbours driveways. A couple of times he put it in their letterboxes. They soon got the message. This was after he had asked them not to let their dogs poop in our yard, or to come pick it up when they did.

Reactions: natalielocket
There seems to be very few people who pick up their dogs FAECES, even some who let them defaecate on peoples front lawns.

Reactions: Gsr
Sheer LAZINESS as with a lot of things these days....pick up after your pooch and return your shopping trolley.....the 2 things that make me
angry 😡 🤬