Revealed: Top Aussie dietitian’s healthy go-to foods from Coles

Maintaining a balanced diet becomes even more important as we age, and making smart choices at the grocery store can be a little overwhelming with all the options available.

That’s why we were ecstatic to discover Brisbane-based dietitian Leanne Ward's recent video on social media, where she shared her favourite healthy go-to items she typically buys from Coles.

Leanne has gained quite a following for her practical nutrition advice and easy-to-follow tips, and rightfully so, given her extensive knowledge and experience as a dietitian and a busy mum-of-one.

In her recent post, she acknowledges the importance of buying fresh food items but admits that she isn't against adding a few carefully chosen packaged products to her shopping trolley—provided they contain the right macronutrients.

Screen Shot 2023-06-12 at 10.40.21 AM.png
An Aussie dietitian unveiled her top picks for wholesome food options available at Coles supermarket. Credit: Instagram/the_fitness_dietitian, Shutterstock.

'These are a few things I found and threw into my trolley today while doing a grocery shop,' Leanne says. 'I'm not by any means suggesting packaged products are better than fresh wholefood ones, but for busy people like me, these are my easy options that support health and fat loss.'

Understanding that not everyone has the time to cook fresh every day, Leanne has an array of nutritious and convenient food choices to share—perfect for busy seniors or those wanting to maintain a healthy lifestyle with minimal fuss.

Here are some of the items from Leanne’s grocery haul from Coles:

1. Happy Gut Wholemeal Bread Loaf: A nutritious bread made with wholemeal flour that supports digestive health and is rich in fibre.

2. Sirena Brown Rice and Quinoa Bowls with Tuna: Convenient and healthy meal bowls featuring a combination of brown rice, quinoa, and tuna, providing a balanced source of protein, fibre, and essential nutrients.

3. Proud & Punch Healthy Ice Creams (Lime Flavour): These refreshing and guilt-free lime-flavoured ice creams from Proud & Punch are made with natural ingredients and are lower in calories compared to traditional ice creams.

4. YoPro Perform Yoghurts: High-protein yoghurts from YoPro are designed to support athletic performance and muscle recovery, packed with essential nutrients and available in various delicious flavours.

5. The Happy Snack Company's Crunchy Roasted Fava Beans: A tasty and nutritious snack option made from roasted fava beans, providing a satisfying crunch and a good source of plant-based protein and fibre.

6. MEB Pita Pockets Wholemeal 6 pack: These are a convenient and versatile option for creating delicious and healthy lunches.

7. Coles' Classic Topped Mediterranean Salad: A fresh and vibrant salad from Coles featuring a mix of Mediterranean-inspired ingredients, such as cherry tomatoes, feta cheese, olives, and crisp lettuce.

8. Perform Build Lemon and Herb Chicken: A ready-to-eat meal option by Perform Build, consisting of flavorful lemon and herb chicken, mashed potatoes, carrots, and a tangy tomato sauce, providing a balanced and satisfying meal.

9. Carman's Roasted Nut Bars: Nutritious snack bars from Carman's, made with roasted nuts, seeds, and wholesome ingredients, offering a convenient and delicious on-the-go snack.

Leanne’s recommendations have received a lot of positive feedback, with viewers expressing their gratitude and eagerness to try her suggested items. One person wrote, 'I'm obsessed with the Fava beans when I'm craving something like chips,' while another added, 'Thank you for taking the time to share these healthy picks.'

Key Takeaways

• Top Aussie dietitian Leanne Ward shared her healthy food recommendations from Coles supermarket.
  • Some of the items on her list include Happy Gut Wholemeal Bread Loaf, Sirena Brown Rice and Quinoa with Tuna Bowls, and Proud & Punch Healthy Ice Creams.
  • Leanne acknowledged the importance of fresh food and highlights the convenience and benefits of certain packaged products for busy people.
  • Her followers appreciated Leanne's recommendations and expressed interest in trying the suggested products.

When it comes to shopping for groceries, it's always helpful to have expert advice on which items are worth incorporating into our diets. So, next time you're at Coles or your local supermarket, consider adding some of Leanne Ward's healthy go-to foods to your shopping list!

If you’re interested in checking out her ALDI haul, you can read the article here. What do you think of these items, folks? Do you have more to add to the list? Send them our way and leave a comment below!

Sponsored
Maintaining a balanced diet becomes even more important as we age, and making smart choices at the grocery store can be a little overwhelming with all the options available.

That’s why we were ecstatic to discover Brisbane-based dietitian Leanne Ward's recent video on social media, where she shared her favourite healthy go-to items she typically buys from Coles.

Leanne has gained quite a following for her practical nutrition advice and easy-to-follow tips, and rightfully so, given her extensive knowledge and experience as a dietitian and a busy mum-of-one.

In her recent post, she acknowledges the importance of buying fresh food items but admits that she isn't against adding a few carefully chosen packaged products to her shopping trolley—provided they contain the right macronutrients.

View attachment 22062
An Aussie dietitian unveiled her top picks for wholesome food options available at Coles supermarket. Credit: Instagram/the_fitness_dietitian, Shutterstock.

'These are a few things I found and threw into my trolley today while doing a grocery shop,' Leanne says. 'I'm not by any means suggesting packaged products are better than fresh wholefood ones, but for busy people like me, these are my easy options that support health and fat loss.'

Understanding that not everyone has the time to cook fresh every day, Leanne has an array of nutritious and convenient food choices to share—perfect for busy seniors or those wanting to maintain a healthy lifestyle with minimal fuss.

1. Happy Gut Wholemeal Bread Loaf: A nutritious bread made with wholemeal flour that supports digestive health and is rich in fibre.

2. Sirena Brown Rice and Quinoa Bowls with Tuna: Convenient and healthy meal bowls featuring a combination of brown rice, quinoa, and tuna, providing a balanced source of protein, fibre, and essential nutrients.

3. Proud & Punch Healthy Ice Creams (Lime Flavour): These refreshing and guilt-free lime-flavoured ice creams from Proud & Punch are made with natural ingredients and are lower in calories compared to traditional ice creams.

4. YoPro Perform Yoghurts: High-protein yoghurts from YoPro are designed to support athletic performance and muscle recovery, packed with essential nutrients and available in various delicious flavours.

5. The Happy Snack Company's Crunchy Roasted Fava Beans: A tasty and nutritious snack option made from roasted fava beans, providing a satisfying crunch and a good source of plant-based protein and fibre.

6. MEB Pita Pockets Wholemeal 6 pack: These are a convenient and versatile option for creating delicious and healthy lunches.

7. Coles' Classic Topped Mediterranean Salad: A fresh and vibrant salad from Coles featuring a mix of Mediterranean-inspired ingredients, such as cherry tomatoes, feta cheese, olives, and crisp lettuce.

8. Perform Build Lemon and Herb Chicken: A ready-to-eat meal option by Perform Build, consisting of flavorful lemon and herb chicken, mashed potatoes, carrots, and a tangy tomato sauce, providing a balanced and satisfying meal.

9. Carman's Roasted Nut Bars: Nutritious snack bars from Carman's, made with roasted nuts, seeds, and wholesome ingredients, offering a convenient and delicious on-the-go snack.

Leanne’s recommendations have received a lot of positive feedback, with viewers expressing their gratitude and eagerness to try her suggested items. One person wrote, 'I'm obsessed with the Fava beans when I'm craving something like chips,' while another added, 'Thank you for taking the time to share these healthy picks.'

Key Takeaways

• Top Aussie dietitian Leanne Ward shared her healthy food recommendations from Coles supermarket.
  • Some of the items on her list include Happy Gut Wholemeal Bread Loaf, Sirena Brown Rice and Quinoa with Tuna Bowls, and Proud & Punch Healthy Ice Creams.
  • Leanne acknowledged the importance of fresh food and highlights the convenience and benefits of certain packaged products for busy people.
  • Her followers appreciated Leanne's recommendations and expressed interest in trying the suggested products.

When it comes to shopping for groceries, it's always helpful to have expert advice on which items are worth incorporating into our diets. So, next time you're at Coles or your local supermarket, consider adding some of Leanne Ward's healthy go-to foods to your shopping list!

If you’re interested in checking out her ALDI haul, you can read the article here. What do you think of these items, folks? Do you have more to add to the list? Send them our way and leave a comment below!

Pretty much would not touch any of it. If I do get yogurt I buy Jalna only. The rest apart from the chicken (just the chicken not the rest) is really just junk that rises your blood glucose and puts you at risk of diabetes.

Really, most of what she lists is full of chemicals and processed. Where is the real food. No wonder we are getting sicker, if this is "expert advice".
I'm so glad you posted this. You are absolutely correct. Some current health industry awards and similar courses contain a lot of information, content and advice which is strenuously being rejected in other nutritional health circles. The problem with this is that less educated individuals (and it's not their fault) are acting on information, advice and practises which in many cases adds to the ever-growing obesity problems in turn leading to some major health causes like insulin resistance, diabetes and dementia, particularly as we age, and our bodies run out of health credit or reserve. Yes, the elimination of grains, trans fats, vegetable oils sugar or chemical sugar replacements and high carb foods is what should be advertised (apart from many other things). You don't need fibre from bread. You'll get plenty from cruciferous vegetables.

I applaud Seniors Discount Club for trying to provide information to members, however this information should be moderated. Having a busy lifestyle and being time poor does not cut it. Most of us consider what we need to do to invest in our finacial future but we never consider what it means to invest in the future of our health. The uses of most processed products whether labelled as healthy or not should be avoided.

Good food is medecine, bad food needs medecine.

Well done Baz I hope others get in on the act and Seniors Discount Club perhaps look at ways of bringing alternative information to its members.

I'm so glad you posted this. You are absolutely correct. Some current health industry awards and similar courses contain a lot of information, content and advice which is strenuously being rejected in other nutritional health circles. The problem with this is that less educated individuals (and it's not their fault) are acting on information, advice and practises which in many cases adds to the ever-growing obesity problems in turn leading to some major health causes like insulin resistance, diabetes and dementia, particularly as we age, and our bodies run out of health credit or reserve. Yes, the elimination of grains, trans fats, vegetable oils sugar or chemical sugar replacements and high carb foods is what should be advertised (apart from many other things). You don't need fibre from bread. You'll get plenty from cruciferous vegetables.

I applaud Seniors Discount Club for trying to provide information to members, however this information should be moderated. Having a busy lifestyle and being time poor does not cut it. Most of us consider what we need to do to invest in our finacial future but we never consider what it means to invest in the future of our health. The uses of most processed products whether labelled as healthy or not should be avoided.

Well done Baz I hope others get in on the act and Seniors Discount Club perhaps look at ways of bringing alternative information to its members.
Thank you Joseph for your kind words. Your piece was really well written. You can save money by eating properly and you lead a fuller life. 👍

very much like a keto diet

very much like a keto diet
Similar. Eat like our great parents, seasonal and clean. Pesticides are another hidden in nearly every food. Chemicals are good, but it makes the food companies richer at the expense of our health.

Reactions: Sharon55

View attachment 22062

Key Takeaways

Why can't these "dieticians" just BUTT OUT of telling people what to eat. They take the fun out of life with their horrible, boring, bland and often disgusting ideas of food.
I wouldn't and don't eat any of that stuff and never would! besides half of it contains things i can not eat and never have been able too and the rest sounds either disgusting or looks it.
It's my life. I have enough problems finding foods that don't have things i can't eat in them and putting up with a screwed up metabolism to be bothered by eating an unenjoyable tasteless meal. Plus i'm going to eat what i want, when i want, i don't care if it doesn't fit someone's idea of what i should or not.
It should be up to yourself to decide what you want to eat and no one else. Eat the good with the bad.

Why can't these "dieticians" just BUTT OUT of telling people what to eat. They take the fun out of life with their horrible, boring, bland and often disgusting ideas of food.
I wouldn't and don't eat any of that stuff and never would! besides half of it contains things i can not eat and never have been able too and the rest sounds either disgusting or looks it.
It's my life. I have enough problems finding foods that don't have things i can't eat in them and putting up with a screwed up metabolism to be bothered by eating an unenjoyable tasteless meal. Plus i'm going to eat what i want, when i want, i don't care if it doesn't fit someone's idea of what i should or not.
It should be up to yourself to decide what you want to eat and no one else. Eat the good with the bad.
Hi Tygie and anyone else that may ready this thread, I think in the main dieticians and nutritionists try to provide factual information for people and their intent is sincere, it's just that there is so much controversy in terms of what should be eaten and what shouldn't. There is also substantial conflict throughout the world in relation to the harm and effects of certain foods albeit fresh or processed. Certainly, as you say some foods can be good for some but not for others. There is too much emphasis placed on caloric restriction as being the basis to reduce weight if one wants to live a healthier and longer retirement and not quality of food. I always say, 'get healthy to lose weight, not lose weight to get healthy'. The rest will follow. I agree that it should be up to the individual to determine what they will and what they won't eat, however education and valid information will help people approach that from a more informed position. Its good that this site gets this out in the open and provides a forum for discussion. All of a sudden, a simple advertisement from Seniors Discount Club advertising a less than healthy item seems to fade into insignificance when discussing good choices.