Revealed: The sneaky way cabin crew get 'revenge' on rude passengers

While plane travel is definitely convenient, it also comes with its share of stress. From long queues for check-ins to having to squeeze into already cramped seats, the undesirable experience can put everyone in a not-so-great mood.

Unfortunately, flight attendants are often the ones who take the brunt of the irritation.

Whether it's pushy passengers trying to sneak extra luggage onto the plane or travellers who are generally rude towards the staff, it's not uncommon for the cabin crew to be treated poorly now and then.

But while they may be unable to speak up for themselves in such situations, several flight attendants have committed to a code of silence: they'll get their revenge…in the sneakiest—and dare we say smelliest—possible way.

compressed-Screen Shot 2023-08-16 at 1.46.49 AM.jpeg
Several flight attendants have revealed how they get revenge on rude passengers. Credit: Unsplash/neonbrand.

So what do they do when they're pushed too far? As it turns out, they resort to 'crop dusting'. While this term hints at something maybe sprinkled on the food, the truth is far more stranger.

In ‘crop dusting’, cabin crew members allegedly pass wind in the aisle next to customers who've annoyed them on a flight.

Seemingly not wanting to offend their colleagues, flight attendants typically avoid farting in the galley where their colleagues are taking a break. Instead, they save it until they can slowly walk up and down the aisles, quietly releasing the gas and acting like they're just checking the overhead cabin bins.

It should come as no surprise that when news of this 'revenge tactic' was revealed on a popular online forum, other cabin crew members quickly confirmed how accurate it was—admitting that they had resorted to such a plan in the past.

One flight attendant even said that passengers who annoyed them had 'paid the price', revealing that she couldn't 'hold it in' if she felt like she had been wronged. Another joked that aeroplanes are often called the 'aluminium fart tube' for a reason.

But there's more to it than cabin crew members just wanting to get back at rude passengers.

As it turns out, studies have concluded that increased air pressure—unavoidable in an aeroplane cabin—can lead to increased flatulence.

Jacob Rosenberg, a Clinical Professor at the University of Copenhagen, supported this, and he said in an interview that 'the pressure drops and the air must expand into more space'.

Still, as it turns out, passing gas is not the only way flight attendants have managed to get revenge on passengers they hate.

An anonymous ex-cabin crew member has shared her ingenious tactic of removing the entertainment when things got too heated with the holiday-makers.

Speaking on social media, the unnamed woman said that when push came to shove, she used to rely heavily on the aeroplane's in-flight entertainment systems. Whenever someone was rude, she sporadically reset the in-flight TV screens so that the hateful passenger wouldn't be able to watch their movie.

Despite the underhanded act sounding slightly petty, passengers who strongly admired the unknown woman's revenge tactic praised her online.

Key Takeaways

• Several flight attendants have revealed they use a gross tactic to get back at rude passengers.
  • These crew members would pass wind in the aisle next to customers who have annoyed them on a flight.
  • This act, also known as 'crop dusting', was confirmed by flight attendants on an online forum.
  • Apart from farting near undesired passengers, another form of revenge used by flight attendants is sporadically resetting the in-flight TV screens of rude customers.

It's important to treat the cabin crew with kindness and respect. No matter how turbulent the flight, let's remember not to direct our frustration towards them. They're fellow travellers, working hard to ensure a smooth journey from one place to another, just like we are.

Speaking of travel experiences, have you encountered a rude passenger while flying? And since we’re on the topic, have you ever had the misfortune of, er, smelling stenches most foul on a flight? How did you handle the situation? Feel free to share your stories with us in the comments below!

Reactions: Jen Avo and saundy
Sponsored
Of course cabin crew should be treated with respect. They have a job to do and shouldn’t be abused in any way.
However, I find the so called ‘revenge’ tactics quite appalling and inappropriate.
Rude or difficult passengers can be and should be dealt with but this idea of walking down the aisle ‘farting’ and impacting a number of passengers is poor behavior in my view.
Sorry, I don’t applaud it.

Of course cabin crew should be treated with respect. They have a job to do and shouldn’t be abused in any way.
However, I find the so called ‘revenge’ tactics quite appalling and inappropriate.
Rude or difficult passengers can be and should be dealt with but this idea of walking down the aisle ‘farting’ and impacting a number of passengers is poor behavior in my view.
nor do I. They are behaving rudely themselves. And what about the innocents who breather that in. Males them worse.

Reactions: John Robert
While plane travel is definitely convenient, it also comes with its share of stress. From long queues for check-ins to having to squeeze into already cramped seats, the undesirable experience can put everyone in a not-so-great mood.

Unfortunately, flight attendants are often the ones who take the brunt of the irritation.

Whether it's pushy passengers trying to sneak extra luggage onto the plane or travellers who are generally rude towards the staff, it's not uncommon for the cabin crew to be treated poorly now and then.

But while they may be unable to speak up for themselves in such situations, several flight attendants have committed to a code of silence: they'll get their revenge…in the sneakiest—and dare we say smelliest—possible way.

View attachment 27539
Several flight attendants have revealed how they get revenge on rude passengers. Credit: Unsplash/neonbrand.

So what do they do when they're pushed too far? As it turns out, they resort to 'crop dusting'. While this term hints at something maybe sprinkled on the food, the truth is far more stranger.

In ‘crop dusting’, cabin crew members allegedly pass wind in the aisle next to customers who've annoyed them on a flight.

Seemingly not wanting to offend their colleagues, flight attendants typically avoid farting in the galley where their colleagues are taking a break. Instead, they save it until they can slowly walk up and down the aisles, quietly releasing the gas and acting like they're just checking the overhead cabin bins.

It should come as no surprise that when news of this 'revenge tactic' was revealed on a popular online forum, other cabin crew members quickly confirmed how accurate it was—admitting that they had resorted to such a plan in the past.

One flight attendant even said that passengers who annoyed them had 'paid the price', revealing that she couldn't 'hold it in' if she felt like she had been wronged. Another joked that aeroplanes are often called the 'aluminium fart tube' for a reason.

But there's more to it than cabin crew members just wanting to get back at rude passengers.

As it turns out, studies have concluded that increased air pressure—unavoidable in an aeroplane cabin—can lead to increased flatulence.

Jacob Rosenberg, a Clinical Professor at the University of Copenhagen, supported this, and he said in an interview that 'the pressure drops and the air must expand into more space'.

Still, as it turns out, passing gas is not the only way flight attendants have managed to get revenge on passengers they hate.

An anonymous ex-cabin crew member has shared her ingenious tactic of removing the entertainment when things got too heated with the holiday-makers.

Speaking on social media, the unnamed woman said that when push came to shove, she used to rely heavily on the aeroplane's in-flight entertainment systems. Whenever someone was rude, she sporadically reset the in-flight TV screens so that the hateful passenger wouldn't be able to watch their movie.

Despite the underhanded act sounding slightly petty, passengers who strongly admired the unknown woman's revenge tactic praised her online.

Key Takeaways

• Several flight attendants have revealed they use a gross tactic to get back at rude passengers.
  • These crew members would pass wind in the aisle next to customers who have annoyed them on a flight.
  • This act, also known as 'crop dusting', was confirmed by flight attendants on an online forum.
  • Apart from farting near undesired passengers, another form of revenge used by flight attendants is sporadically resetting the in-flight TV screens of rude customers.

It's important to treat the cabin crew with kindness and respect. No matter how turbulent the flight, let's remember not to direct our frustration towards them. They're fellow travellers, working hard to ensure a smooth journey from one place to another, just like we are.

Speaking of travel experiences, have you encountered a rude passenger while flying? And since we’re on the topic, have you ever had the misfortune of, er, smelling stenches most foul on a flight? How did you handle the situation? Feel free to share your stories with us in the comments below!
All I can say is, 'Karma is a Bitch only if you are.'. Be nice, it comes back thrice.

Reactions: John Robert
I find this appalling! What sort of person does that? Every job dealing with the public encounters rude/difficult people - fact of life. Revenge is, among other things, unprofessional. Speaks more to the vengeful person being a very unhappy person - get another job!

I find this appalling! What sort of person does that? Every job dealing with the public encounters rude/difficult people - fact of life. Revenge is, among other things, unprofessional. Speaks more to the vengeful person being a very unhappy person - get another job!
Lighten up. 'Walk a mile in their shoes.' Then comment.

Lighten up. 'Walk a mile in their shoes.' Then comment.
Gee thanks for your pearls of wisdom Ringdragon! I have worked in customer service all my life - if I was to seek revenge on every rude, argumentative and opinionated person I have spoken to, apart from being unemployable, would be a miserable, bitter and twisted human. Just my opinion - if that's ok with you.

Gee thanks for your pearls of wisdom Ringdragon! I have worked in customer service all my life - if I was to seek revenge on every rude, argumentative and opinionated person I have spoken to, apart from being unemployable, would be a miserable, bitter and twistced human. Just my opinion - if that's ok with you.
I'm sorry, I should have taken my Tongue out of my Cheek before making my statement. You would appear to have your tongue stuffed up somewhere else.

I'm sorry, I should have taken my Tongue out of my Cheek before making my statement. You would appear to have your tongue stuffed up somewhere else.
Hmmm. a very Freudian obsession it would seem. Phew - you dropped your guts didn't you!

I think the other comments reflect my position. As to where your tongue is? I leave that for you to work out. My comments stand. Anyone in the ‘people business’ has to be prepared to deal with difficult customers/clients/patients and respond in a professional manner. I’m sure the staff undertake training appropriate to the situations they have to deal with. Extreme behaviour should be able to be responded to of course using a professional and as necessary firm response, but if farting in the aisle is considered ‘professional’ or employing other petty tactics such as ‘switching off the movie’ then I have to wonder whether the person is in the right profession.? Again, in my professional career I had to deal with far more difficult situations than those cited in the article ( including knives being used several times to threaten, a gun on one occasion) and never once engaged in petty ‘pay back’. Certainly, debriefed with colleagues as necessary but not engaged in puerile revenge behaviour towards my clients/patients. ’

View attachment 27539

Key Takeaways

All I can say is I hope you follow through!!.

View attachment 27539

Key Takeaways

think of others first.

It sounds like nonsense to me.