REVEALED: Australia's Best Plain Meat Pie of 2022

It's official – the best plain meat pie in Australia for 2022 has finally been crowned, and it comes from a humble family bakery!

After a stomach-rumbling, head-to-head competition against a jam-packed list of other bakers from across the country, Whittlesea Bakehouse received the Best Plain Meat Pie award.

oP4OsPR3JyrsM6Wi_RtP6IhAQVBJOOtucLl9HSFsFORokD520aX-TezCO7z61pszByDg7Tyj2U2Igv-t8eLz8NRDedcZfdcOSJtNEWdu5cFiI7f3aomtI8j_JkbVip9s97KzU_3cZ2skjXigKMp2QSn2EN5YexPu6y62JKUd0LHvftjWsdkeVtl81A

The best meat pie in Australia comes from the Whittlesea Bakehouse in Victoria. Credit: Whittlesea Bakehouse.

And we have to say, we're not surprised – just look at that perfect golden crust! With almost two thousand other competitors from around the country, being named the best Aussie pie maker in the country is no small feat.

'The A-Team have done it again! Winner of best plain pie Australia! Winners are grinners,' the Victorian bakery said on its official Facebook page.

We bet you're wondering what makes this particular pie so special. Well, according to Adrian Caporetto, the baker behind Whittlesea Bakehouse's award-winning pastry creation, the secret to their team's success is using quality ingredients.

'I'm a firm believer that if you use good ingredients, good flour, good margarine, you keep it simple and love what you do, then that's what counts,' he explained in an interview.

Mr Caporetto also attributes their success to always 'loving what they do'. That passion really shines through in their finished product, and his team was rightfully thrilled after being recognised for their delicious traditional pies.

If any of our SDC members are aspiring pie-makers, better take out your pen and a notepad because Mike French, Chief Judge of the Official Great Aussie Pie Competition, is here to talk about his thoughts on what he believes makes for a good Aussie meat pie.

According to him, there are three things to look out for when judging a pie:
  • a crispy pastry top with flake,
  • a structurally sound pie bottom,
  • and the pie's filling.

According to French, the ideal pie has a 3-millimetre-thick bottom and sides that are uniformly baked with a lovely golden colour.

'Regardless of the meat you choose, the ultimate pie filling contains meat, thickener, colour, and seasoning, and we recommend adding some onion for flavour,' he added.

'Be sure to pay special attention to the meat-to-pastry ratio to achieve the perfect balance and not jeopardise your structure. The pie should be meaty and tasty with a nice rich brown gravy, not grey or black.'

'The filling should not fall into your lap when hot, or conversely, stick to the roof of your mouth,' he concluded.

dzwus6ABmTRZUp9a92FobUeFhXLvzdS5TSFgeO6y0X1uObLONc5MsFrqNzoUPedvJpk2hB60IC5AOxPQsqxTG_f9A5rpmjQhyrh6r_1RWfP6_RsRdUcYbDrjsRvctSggsztzmtQRUvvOxQefbgVmRva-0VWG6qzvvj7QzYpCFVhj9Pd-EGQ1BdIdtA

Meat pies are an Aussie icon. Credit: Getty.

And there you have it, folks! This will definitely come in handy the next time you hit up the local bakery.

So what do you think about this story? In your opinion, do you think the traditional plain pie can truly top the chunky steak or chicken and veggie pies? (Tough match, in our opinion…) Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

If you want to learn how to make your own meat pies from scratch, watch the video below:

Credit: OnePotChefShow.

Sponsored
Everyone loves my pies.

I make pies two ways , one using beef mince the other using chuck steak.

If I use chuck steak then I slow cook the meat n sauce the day before cooking for 7 hours.

My gravy is a rich brown colour.

I only make meat or apple pies

I make pasties using vegetables or cheese.

I will add my meat pie recipe later today

Last edited:
I’ll h
It's official – the best plain meat pie in Australia for 2022 has finally been crowned, and it comes from a humble family bakery!

After a stomach-rumbling, head-to-head competition against a jam-packed list of other bakers from across the country, Whittlesea Bakehouse received the Best Plain Meat Pie award.

oP4OsPR3JyrsM6Wi_RtP6IhAQVBJOOtucLl9HSFsFORokD520aX-TezCO7z61pszByDg7Tyj2U2Igv-t8eLz8NRDedcZfdcOSJtNEWdu5cFiI7f3aomtI8j_JkbVip9s97KzU_3cZ2skjXigKMp2QSn2EN5YexPu6y62JKUd0LHvftjWsdkeVtl81A

The best meat pie in Australia comes from the Whittlesea Bakehouse in Victoria. Credit: Whittlesea Bakehouse.

And we have to say, we're not surprised – just look at that perfect golden crust! With almost two thousand other competitors from around the country, being named the best Aussie pie maker in the country is no small feat.

'The A-Team have done it again! Winner of best plain pie Australia! Winners are grinners,' the Victorian bakery said on its official Facebook page.

We bet you're wondering what makes this particular pie so special. Well, according to Adrian Caporetto, the baker behind Whittlesea Bakehouse's award-winning pastry creation, the secret to their team's success is using quality ingredients.

'I'm a firm believer that if you use good ingredients, good flour, good margarine, you keep it simple and love what you do, then that's what counts,' he explained in an interview.

Mr Caporetto also attributes their success to always 'loving what they do'. That passion really shines through in their finished product, and his team was rightfully thrilled after being recognised for their delicious traditional pies.

If any of our SDC members are aspiring pie-makers, better take out your pen and a notepad because Mike French, Chief Judge of the Official Great Aussie Pie Competition, is here to talk about his thoughts on what he believes makes for a good Aussie meat pie.

• and the pie's filling.

According to French, the ideal pie has a 3-millimetre-thick bottom and sides that are uniformly baked with a lovely golden colour.

'Regardless of the meat you choose, the ultimate pie filling contains meat, thickener, colour, and seasoning, and we recommend adding some onion for flavour,' he added.

'Be sure to pay special attention to the meat-to-pastry ratio to achieve the perfect balance and not jeopardise your structure. The pie should be meaty and tasty with a nice rich brown gravy, not grey or black.'

'The filling should not fall into your lap when hot, or conversely, stick to the roof of your mouth,' he concluded.

dzwus6ABmTRZUp9a92FobUeFhXLvzdS5TSFgeO6y0X1uObLONc5MsFrqNzoUPedvJpk2hB60IC5AOxPQsqxTG_f9A5rpmjQhyrh6r_1RWfP6_RsRdUcYbDrjsRvctSggsztzmtQRUvvOxQefbgVmRva-0VWG6qzvvj7QzYpCFVhj9Pd-EGQ1BdIdtA

And there you have it, folks! This will definitely come in handy the next time you hit up the local bakery.

So what do you think about this story? In your opinion, do you think the traditional plain pie can truly top the chunky steak or chicken and veggie pies? (Tough match, in our opinion…) Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

If you want to learn how to make your own meat pies from scratch, watch the video below:

I’ll have one of those! 😝😍

"Aspiring" ... That sounds like me.
I bought a No Name Pie Maker at Big W.
Came home VERY ASPIRED>
Followed the instructions to the T or was that the Z?
Made 4 pies.
The first, second and third fell apart before I got them out of the Pie Maker thing
The fourth one ended up on a plate --- collapsed with exhaustion

So the summary, is that the machine doesn't make pies like in the advert...
and I am still "Aspiring" or "Perspiring"

• and the pie's filling.

The best pie I have ever eaten in Australian was from the little general store at station pier in Melbourne about sixty four years ago.

Everyone loves my pies.

I make pies two ways , one using beef mince the other using chuck steak.

If I use chuck steak then I slow cook the meat n sauce the day before cooking for 7 hours.

My gravy is a rick brown colour.

I only make meat or apple pies

I make pasties using vegetables or cheese.

I will add my meat pie recipe later today
That's how I make my pies but I do add a lot less salt than traditional pies

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
I was told that Blackbutt Qld has the best pies. I have yet to try them. Whittlesea is a bit far to get their pies!

Reactions: Tiny 56
I was told that Blackbutt Qld has the best pies. I have yet to try them. Whittlesea is a bit far to get their pies!
The pies from Blackbutt are delicious I have tried them and have been out to the bakery a nice drive out there.

Reactions: Ezzy

• and the pie's filling.

Bayside Bakery has the best pies i have ever had full of real meat they can't fit any more meat in their pies real chunky steak not mince muck like four n twenty etc with 22% of meat product which includes tongue and gristle etc . https://baysidebakery.com.au/

• and the pie's filling.

Well done 👍

Blackbutt pies are good but the best pie is the Babinda Bakery especially the Potato pie

"Aspiring" ... That sounds like me.
I bought a No Name Pie Maker at Big W.
Came home VERY ASPIRED>
Followed the instructions to the T or was that the Z?
Made 4 pies.
The first, second and third fell apart before I got them out of the Pie Maker thing
The fourth one ended up on a plate --- collapsed with exhaustion

So the summary, is that the machine doesn't make pies like in the advert...
and I am still "Aspiring" or "Perspiring"
My pie maker came from K-Mart. I’ve never had an issue with them sticking or falling apart. It’s one of the two best appliances I have, the other being my air fryer. Hm .. wonder what you did wrong? 🤣

Reactions: Ezzy
I have a wonderful lemon cake recipe which I have made with butter and margarine. The one with butter tastes really oily and unpleasant whereas the one with margarine is fantastic. Obviously there is a time and place for both spreads.
no there is not.... for starters Margarine is UNHEALTHY... change 1 molecule and you get paint and another and you will get tarseal.... Marg was originally made for Turkey fodder but they refused to eat it... so they gave it to humans and they being to dumb and ate it... in some US states it is coloured RED to associate it with danger..... Ants will eat most anything except Margarine.

no there is not.... for starters Margarine is UNHEALTHY... change 1 molecule and you get paint and another and you will get tarseal.... Marg was originally made for Turkey fodder but they refused to eat it... so they gave it to humans and they being to dumb and ate it... in some US states it is coloured RED to associate it with danger..... Ants will eat most anything except Margarine.
And it's linked to macular degeneration.

• and the pie's filling.

Wow! Against 1,000 competitors this bakery was named the best in Australia. Congratulations. The definition Mr Caporetto gave for a perfect pie is very clear & his statement about the passion which goes into making these products says everything to me.

Like every career l believe a person can do this with passion because they enjoy doing this, or it can be done as something which will simply pay wages. In today's world having a passion about our career can sometimes be difficult because there is no recognition for what we do.