Remembering the lives of Socceroos star Stephen Laybutt (46) and Seinfeld actor Peter Crombie (71)

The Australian football community is in mourning following the tragic discovery of former Socceroos player Stephen Laybutt's body in bushland.

The 46-year-old, who represented Australia in 15 matches from 2000 to 2004, was last seen alive in Casuarina, northern New South Wales. His sudden disappearance and subsequent death have left friends, family, and fans shocked and saddened.

But amidst the grief, a story of extraordinary generosity has emerged, reminding us of the man behind the footballer.

Stephen Laybutt was a formidable presence on the field. Born and raised in Wollongong, Laybutt's talent was recognised early, earning him a scholarship at the prestigious Australian Institute of Sport.

His career took off when he signed with the Brisbane Strikers, and he later represented Australia in the Sydney 2000 Olympics with the Olyroos.

GD4FkqHakAAbFMt.jpg
Stephen Laybutt, a former Socceroos player, has passed away. Source: @sportsurfing/X (Twitter)

His football journey saw him bouncing between clubs in Europe and Australia, but it was his time with the Socceroos that cemented his place in the annals of Australian football history.

However, Laybutt's career was cut short in 2008 when a ruptured Achilles tendon during the A-League series forced him into early retirement.

It was during this period of transition that Laybutt publicly came out as gay, a decision he had grappled with throughout his career.

In a candid interview, Laybutt revealed the toll of hiding his true self, stating, 'It takes a fair bit of effort to hide like that... That breaks you, and you head down a path of self-destruction.'

But an act of selflessness in 2021 truly showcased Laybutt's character. While working in the rehab unit at St Vincent’s Private Hospital, he met Ian Pavey, a 67-year-old patient awaiting a kidney transplant.

Moved by Pavey's positivity despite his health struggles, Laybutt made a life-changing decision. He offered to donate one of his kidneys to Pavey.

‘I just liked his attitude,’ Laybutt described Pavey. ‘He was always positive. I thought, “I should help this guy”. People have asked me what the thought process was behind it. I just thought it was the right thing to do.’

Pavey recalled, ‘After the operation, I was in a private room in the public hospital, just sitting there in disbelief that someone had actually done this for me.’

‘I knew he was a Socceroos player, but I'm a rugby fan. I supposed [I'd] have to change codes. We will be bonded for life,’ he added.

The last known photo of Laybutt, taken from CCTV footage, shows him in blue boardshorts, thongs, and a light blue T-shirt, carrying a brown shopping bag.

His silver Mercedes was found parked outside a shop in nearby Cabarita, triggering an extensive police search. His body was discovered in bushland near Cabarita the following Sunday.

418538496_866052052192648_6912288050979217783_n.jpg
Laybutt was last seen wearing blue board shorts, thongs, and a blue T-shirt. Source: North Coast Crime/Facebook

The cause of his death is yet to be determined, but police are not treating it as suspicious.

Stephen Laybutt's life was a testament to resilience, courage, and generosity. His contributions to Australian football are significant, but his off-field actions truly define his legacy.

As we remember Stephen Laybutt, let's not just remember the footballer but the man who used his platform to inspire change, promote acceptance, and save a life.

In similar news, Peter Crombie, a cherished actor who left an indelible mark on the world of sitcoms, has sadly passed away at the age of 71.

His ex-wife, Nadine Kijner, confirmed the news, stating that Crombie's death on January 10 was due to a swift illness.

The specifics of the illness remain undisclosed.

GDwjG7XWsAAdGIl.jpg
Peter Crombie passed away aged 71. Source: @RollingStone/X (Twitter)

Crombie, who was fondly remembered for his portrayal of the eccentric character 'Crazy' Joe Davola on Seinfeld, was much more than his on-screen persona.

'He was the kindest, most caring, giving, considerate man. He was loved by everybody, generous and never had anything bad to say about anyone,' Kijner shared with the outlet.

Despite his brief stint on Seinfeld, appearing in only five episodes during 1992 and 1993, Crombie's performance was so impactful that he quickly became a fan favourite.

His character, Joe Davola, was a complex figure who oscillated between being Jerry Seinfeld’s stalker and dating Elaine Benes, played by Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

The news of Crombie's passing has sent ripples through the Seinfeld fan community, with many taking to social media to express their grief and pay tribute to the actor.

One user wrote, 'Rest in peace, Peter Crombie. My goodness, how he brought Joe Davola to life. My deepest condolences to his family and loved ones.'

Another fan added, 'Peter Crombie. Unforgettable as Crazy Joe Davola. One of the most memorable characters ever.'

'So sad to hear that Peter Crombie has died. He portrayed my absolute favourite Seinfeld character, Crazy Joe Davola. I think I quote something from his episodes at least once a week,' a fan shared.

Seinfeld, a hit sitcom from 1989 to 1998 across nine seasons, was just one of the many platforms where Crombie showcased his acting prowess.

He also made notable appearances in House of Frankenstein, Seven, and the sci-fi series Space Trek: Deep Space Nine.

Crombie's final acting credit was in 2000 when he played Detective Moody in the series Walker, Texas Ranger. Despite his departure from the screen, his performances continue to be cherished by fans and fellow actors alike.

Born in 1950, Peter Crombie began his acting career in the late 1970s. He made his debut in the film The Warriors and went on to appear in numerous television shows and films.

However, it was his role as 'Crazy' Joe Davola in Seinfeld that catapulted him to fame. You can watch a scene here:

Key Takeaways
  • Former Socceroos star Stephen Laybutt was found dead in bushland after an extensive police search following his disappearance.
  • Stephen Laybutt was last seen alive in Casuarina, NSW and was reported missing the following day, with his vehicle found parked outside a shop in nearby Cabarita.
  • Laybutt had played 15 matches for the national team and was known for his charitable acts, such as donating a kidney to Ian Pavey in 2021.
  • Laybutt's death is not being treated as suspicious, and he had been publicly open about his sexuality after retiring from professional football.
  • Peter Crombie, an actor known for playing 'Crazy' Joe Davola on Seinfeld, has died aged 71.
  • His death was confirmed by his ex-wife Nadine Kijner, who praised his kind and generous character.
  • Seinfeld fans have expressed condolences and shared fond memories of his portrayal on social media.

Our thoughts are with Stephen Laybutt and Peter Crombie’s loved ones during this difficult time. May they rest in peace.

Sponsored
What shame Stephen Laybutt did not reach out for help. Such a waste of life when anyone feels that death is their only way out. He did a lot of good, not least donating a kidney to a stranger in need. I have never heard of the other guy.

Reactions: Liz