Remembering the lives of Aussie TV icon Dawn Kenyon (92) and acclaimed Hollywood actor Donald Sutherland (88)

Aussie children's television owes its current position to one of the revered TV presenters, Dawn Kenyon.

Dubbed as the 'first lady of Australian television', her warm and engaging presence on screen became a staple in Australian homes.

Kenyon's work on Channel Seven's Romper Room in the late 1950s and her pioneering spirit helped shape the television landscape into what it is today.

Earlier this week, news of Dawn Kenyon's passing broke, sending shock and grief to the industry. She was 92.

Born Dorothy Dingwell in Toowoomba in 1932, Kenyon's journey to stardom began in 1956, the same year television was born in Australia.

She quickly became a beloved figure in the hearts of many Australians as she became the country's first female host of a children's show with Captain Fortune.

compressed-miss dawn.jpeg
Veteran TV presenter Dawn Kenyon helped building children's television in Australia. Image Credit: YouTube/Celebrity News Channel

Beyond her on-screen charisma, Dawn Kenyon was also a force behind the scenes.

Her talents extended to producing and screenwriting and showcased her versatility and commitment to creating quality children's TV content.

Her influence was such that she became a household name—her shows were a precursor to other iconic children's programs like ABC's Play School, which debuted in 1966.

In 1957, Dawn married British television engineer Fred Kenyon and had three children: Steven, Peter, and Anne.

As her family grew, Kenyon decided to step back from her on-screen career, eventually moving to England when her husband took up a job opportunity there.

Though she may have left Australian television, her legacy continued to resonate with those who grew up watching her.

Tributes poured in from friends and colleagues in the media industry, reflecting on her impact and the joy she brought to viewers.

Australian journalist Anita Jacoby remembered Dawn as 'always a shining light', while 60 Minutes' Jeff McMullen reminisced about how she 'was so often the first to greet us, introduce us to new families, and lead us deeper into that magic of the Merry Makers'.

On the other side of the globe, Hollywood also mourns the loss of Donald Sutherland, one of the industry's most versatile and respected actors, after a long illness. He was 88.

His passing was confirmed by his agency, CAA, and announced by his son, Kiefer Sutherland, on social media.

Donald Sutherland's career was a remarkable journey through the landscape of film and television.

His distinctive presence and impressive range of performances left an indelible mark.

His career, which spanned over five decades, included more than 140 film credits, showcasing his ability to slip seamlessly into dramatic leads to comedic turns.

compressed-donald sutherland.jpeg
Acclaimed Hollywood actor Donald Sutherland passed away after a long, undisclosed illness. Image Credit: Shutterstock/S. Bukley

Born in Saint John, New Brunswick, Sutherland's early life was marked by health challenges, including a battle with polio.

However, he overcame these obstacles and pursued his passion for acting.

After studying engineering at the University of Toronto, Sutherland found his calling in drama.

He honed his craft on stage and eventually graduated with degrees in both engineering and drama.

Sutherland's breakthrough role came in the 1967 war film The Dirty Dozen, which catapulted him into the spotlight.

He followed this success with a string of memorable performances, including the iconic role of Hawkeye Pierce in Robert Altman's M*A*S*H, which earned him critical acclaim and solidified his status in Hollywood.

Throughout the 1970s, Sutherland continued to demonstrate his versatility.

He starred in the chilling remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers and the cult classic film Animal House.

Sutherland's later years saw him embrace a variety of roles, including his portrayal of the sinister President Snow in The Hunger Games franchise, which introduced him to a new generation of fans.

His performances were a testament not only to his talent but also to his work ethic and love for acting.

Off-screen, Sutherland was known for his intelligence and thoughtfulness.

In a 2019 interview with Reuters, he offered sage advice to aspiring actors, encouraging them to be truthful, well-read, and to embrace a wide range of artistic pursuits.

His dedication to his art was recognised by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences with an honorary award in 2017.

He was also honoured with the Order of Canada for his contributions to the arts.

Both Dawn and Donald's passing are poignant moments for the entertainment industry.

Their passion and dedication to their crafts will be remembered by all who had the pleasure of watching their iconic contributions—whether on TV or the silver screen.
Key Takeaways

• Renowned Australian children's presenter Dawn Kenyon passed away at the age of 92.
  • Miss Dawn was a pioneering figure in Australian television, becoming the country's first female host of a children's show.
  • She hosted several early Australian children's shows, including Channel Seven's Romper Room.
  • Tributes flowed in from many of Dawn's friends in the media industry, honouring her as a shining light in Australian television history.
  • Renowned Hollywood actor Donald Sutherland also passed away at 88 after a long illness.
  • Sutherland's diverse acting career spanned over 50 years with more than 140 film credits, including iconic roles in M*A*S*H, Animal House, and The Hunger Games.
  • His son, Kiefer Sutherland, shared the news of his passing and described his father as one of the most important actors in film history.
  • In recognition of his contributions, Sutherland received an honorary award from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in 2017 and was honoured with the Order of Canada.
As we bid farewell to these talented personalities, we reflect on the joy they have brought to our screens and the path they blazed for future generations of television personalities.

May they rest in peace.

Sponsored
I remember both. More specifically with Dawn as Captain Fortune was a fmaily friend from my parents working and dating lives - Colin Craven Sands. He used to run sunday missions as Capt Fortune at Cronulla Beach when we wee kids in 50s. Ran Mission to Seamen for many years.

Reactions: Gsr and PattiB
Never heard of Dawn Kenton either, but used to enjoy MASH. They both lived long lives so now may they RIP.

I'm a bit confused. Alan Alda played Hawkeye Pierce in MASH. I don't remember Donald Sutherland being in MASH at all.

Reactions: VK2LEE
Well, I always thought Donald Sutherland as one of the most unique characters on the silver screen I have had the pleasure to view. He certainly made an impact on the industry, and I am sure his son will endeavour to honour that legacy in the coming years.
I am not familiar with Dawn, but appreciate her contribution to the Australian industry on behalf of future female presenters.
RIP
You will live on through your work.

I remember Donald in the war movie with Michael Caine trying to kill Chirchill.... He rode a Motor cycle and was a warden... [German Irish].. also I remember Him being the commander of a USA Army tank with loud speakers playing music.... maybe with Clint Eastwood??

Reactions: Cyberchook
I rate Donald Sutherland in the top 10 all time actors. I would have seen 30 - 40 movies he has been in. So versatile. Sad to see him go.

RIP Donald :cry:
Movies of Donald Sutherland's I have seen:-

The Bedford Incident The Dirty Dozen
Kelly'Heroes Klute
The Day Of The Locust The Eagle Has Landed
Kentucky Fried Movie National Lampoon's Animal House
Invasion of the Body Snatchers JFK
Backdraft The Puppet Masters
Disclosure Outbreak
A Time To Kill Fallen
Virus The Italian Job
Baltic Storm Fool's Gold
Man On A Train The Mechanic
The Eagle Horrible Bosses
Assassin's Bullet The Calling
Forsaken Ad Astra
Alone Moonfall

Plus a few more I forget the names of.

EDIT: Stupid Xenforo formatting!! 👹

I remember Donald in the war movie with Michael Caine trying to kill Chirchill.... He rode a Motor cycle and was a warden... [German Irish].. also I remember Him being the commander of a USA Army tank with loud speakers playing music.... maybe with Clint Eastwood??
The first one is The Eagle Has Landed and the other Kelly's Heroes (I think).

He is the master of playing eccentric characters.

Reactions: VK2LEE and Ezzy
That was Kellys Heros. I also remember him staring in the Dirty Dozen